What's the straight dope on lead ammo?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: What's the straight dope on lead ammo?

Postby xd ED on Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:47 pm

Nougat wrote:I wonder if rodents poisoned by those little bait stations for pest control have any adverse effect on birds?

Yes.
Secondary poisoning is not uncommon in birds of prey.
I don't know if strychnine is still a common component of rodenticides and other animal poisons, but I understand it doesn't breakdown, and can similarly cause secondary poisoning in any animal eating the primary target.
I believe it was about 1985-86 when the city of St Paul put out pigeon poison downtown. The birds literally fell out of the sky... in the river to be scooped up by eagles, which were found dead, as well as people's yards where pets were poisoned by eating the dead pigeons. There were actually groups of concerned citizens patrolling the river in boats with dip nets and doing yard-to-yard cleanups... A friend lost one of his dogs to what he suspects was a poisoned pigeon.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:20 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:There was a dead turkey this morning on 94 near saint Cloud. I guess we need to ban roads.

No ban chrome - cause it probably had chrome from someones grill or bumper in it.
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby mrp on Fri Mar 18, 2016 1:51 pm

CROSBYK2 wrote:I found a dead loon on Leach lake that obviously died from starvation caused by fishing line wrapped around its beak. Should we ban fishing line? I don't think so either.

Fun fact: Eagle Claw used to sell a biodegradable fishing line. They no longer do.
mrp

Previous

Return to Hunting