Bear Reports available?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Bear Reports available?

Postby Lumpy on Sun Jul 31, 2016 4:20 pm

is there any online resource for checking on the estimated prevalence of bears in a particular area such as a county or township? How about recent reports of problem bears, bear-related incidents, etc.?
Lumpy

Re: Bear Reports available?

Postby smurfman on Sun Jul 31, 2016 9:36 pm

I doubt there is a breakdown of bear populations by county and am willing to bet nothing by township but there may be one by hunting zone. Where to find it online is a question but a call to the DNR headquarters is likely to be the first thought I would have. I think Dave Garselis (sp?) is the person in charge these days.

As for problem bear complaints, call the warden in charge of the area in question. These types of complaints are typically handled on their level and they would have the best idea of where the problem bears are and who is having the problems. I know the couple of times I contacted the CO regarding a bear problem, I called him direct as I had his number.

The couple of years two tags were given for the non-quota zone I did much the same. I had limited time to bait or scout for bears so I contacted the CO of a couple areas I could reach quickly for contacts to those having bear problems. I was able to hook up with a couple of homeowners and was fortunate enough to be able to solve a problem for them.
smurfman

Postby FJ540 on Sun Jul 31, 2016 11:37 pm

^^^ Solid plan of attack for getting a hunt done without a lottery tag.

The sow in my other thread has been looting the beach road area for years, but the CO wouldn't let me keep the meat if I shot her without a tag in season. Lots of knocked over bird feeders around me.
FJ540

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:30 pm

A commercial publication called Outdoor News used to carry a lot of information prior to and during bear season since its the lull before duck and pheasant seasons and late summer fishing. I haven't subscribed to the publication in a while, but maybe a good source. It also has information about COs who are active in select areas with what used to be a regular feature that highlighted CO incident reports from all over the state - might give you a name to contact that would start you further down stream of a cold call to the dist. office.

My $.02.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Return to Hunting