Zone 184 deer hunting question

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Zone 184 deer hunting question

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:30 pm

After reading the DNR publication, am I correct in my understanding that either sex deer during archery season is permissible in zone 184?
arizona98tj

Re: Zone 184 deer hunting question

Postby FJ540 on Mon Aug 08, 2016 7:41 pm

Archery's always been either sex for as long as I've been aware of it.

Something to consider: if you have low deer populations and want more deer - shoot a buck! 1.5yr old spikes/forks will be run off by momma the next spring when she's getting ready to drop, so by shooting those you're not impacting your herd at all (you are shooting someone else's potential future trophy). If you shoot a doe, you're now killing one deer and removing 1,2, or possibly 3 new ones from next years herd for a total potential loss of 4 animals (most likely 3 though). Shooting that spike you're only removing 1 and momma will replace it and most likely add another as well come Spring.
FJ540

Postby arizona98tj on Mon Aug 08, 2016 9:50 pm

Thank you, much appreciated. I understand how the numbers work. Went on my first hunt 45 years ago this year and still remember the details of it. This is my first year archery hunting and my intent is to shoot a buck. Hopefully, I won't need plan B.
arizona98tj

Postby FJ540 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 12:54 am

I'm surrounded by "anything that moves" hunters and they stack their families 3 deep in tree stands just so they get more tags to fill - then they wonder where all the deer went.

I'll admit, when I first started hunting I was in favor of filling as many tags as possible. But when I realized the DNR wasn't managing the resource to the benefit of hunters (and tags do grow on trees, but deer don't), I substantially changed my ways. Now I'm more about healthy herds and sustainable harvest despite the DNR's intent on reducing numbers (they'll blow smoke to the contrary, but when you actually look at the numbers and trends they're out to keep the deer herd down).

Good luck this fall!
FJ540

Postby arizona98tj on Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:13 pm

FJ540.....thanks, and good luck to you too. I think I'll go check trail cams tomorrow. Gotta figure out the best spot to park my behind for archery. Hopefully something on the camera has bones coming out of its head. ;)
Last edited by arizona98tj on Wed Aug 10, 2016 4:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arizona98tj

Postby FJ540 on Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:33 pm

I don't get too excited about deer hunting until the days stay in the 50's. Just too darn hot to do the meat justice any warmer than that since I don't have a cooler or a good set-up to process them with. So I hunt when the conditions are right to get it straight to the butcher's cooler or where I can leave it hang over night should the need arise.

Been getting some bone on camera, but been pretty actively trying to get a porky in the same spot. I'm sure when the estrus is flowing we'll have some bigger boys sniffing cooches. :lol:
FJ540

Postby smurfman on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:04 am

You are in a firearm lottery area so you are allowed to take a doe by archery there. If you do shoot a doe, you are done for the year as that zone is a one deer per year area regardless of license type. You are then limited to hunting a managed or intensive area or a special hunt draw if you wish to hunt deer further.

Lucky you are not hunting a bucks only zone as you would not be able to take a doe regardless of license type.
smurfman

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:55 am

I enjoy watching the two does behind my house with triplets, and four other does with singles or twins = must have been a good year. They really enjoy eating the leaves of the soybeans planted in the field.

I have seen a few young buck in field but they get chased off by the does.
OldmanFCSA

Postby arizona98tj on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:12 pm

smurfman wrote:You are in a firearm lottery area so you are allowed to take a doe by archery there. If you do shoot a doe, you are done for the year as that zone is a one deer per year area regardless of license type. You are then limited to hunting a managed or intensive area or a special hunt draw if you wish to hunt deer further.

Lucky you are not hunting a bucks only zone as you would not be able to take a doe regardless of license type.

Thank you for the information. If I shoot a buck by archery, can I still fill my firearms license with a buck?
arizona98tj

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:20 pm

arizona98tj wrote:
smurfman wrote:You are in a firearm lottery area so you are allowed to take a doe by archery there. If you do shoot a doe, you are done for the year as that zone is a one deer per year area regardless of license type. You are then limited to hunting a managed or intensive area or a special hunt draw if you wish to hunt deer further.

Thank you for the information. If I shoot a buck by archery, can I still fill my firearms license with a buck?

No. Only one buck per person per year ever regardless of modality.
Holland&Holland

Postby arizona98tj on Thu Aug 11, 2016 9:22 pm

Roger that. Thanks again.
arizona98tj

Return to Hunting