Legal shotgun for deer hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:21 pm

Been searching for a definition of what makes a shotgun legal to hunt deer with in southern MN. All I found so far is that it has to be larger than 410.

Am I missing anything?

Does it have to be a smooth bore or rifles is OK too? Saw some nice Monte Carlo stock 870s but I guess it would make it tough to switch to a regular bead barrel...

Thanks all!
gun_fan111v2

Re: Legal shotgun for deer hunting

Postby FJ540 on Sun Aug 14, 2016 9:48 pm

You can do smooth or rifled bore, you can even use brass hulls and essentially make a 1oz slug precision rifle like Pete did.

It's one of the stupidest laws we have because you can use a .50BMG to hunt coyotes in the farm zone if you want, but god forbid you should use a lever action .30-30 on deer...
FJ540

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:12 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:Been searching for a definition of what makes a shotgun legal to hunt deer with in southern MN. All I found so far is that it has to be larger than 410.

Am I missing anything?

Does it have to be a smooth bore or rifles is OK too? Saw some nice Monte Carlo stock 870s but I guess it would make it tough to switch to a regular bead barrel...

Thanks all!

Where did you get that .410 is not legal? I have the regs book right here and do not see that. Have known several folks that swear by .410s for deer.

Rifled and smooth bore are both ok. Just be sure to get the correct ammo for each.
Holland&Holland

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:25 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
gun_fan111v2 wrote:Been searching for a definition of what makes a shotgun legal to hunt deer with in southern MN. All I found so far is that it has to be larger than 410.

Am I missing anything?

Thanks all!

Where did you get that .410 is not legal? I have the regs book right here and do not see that. Have known several folks that swear by .410s for deer.

Rifled and smooth bore are both ok. Just be sure to get the correct ammo for each.

It might have said 410 or higher - don't remember exactly.
gun_fan111v2

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:29 am

How about ammo. Are slugs the only option or is buck shot legal as well?
gun_fan111v2

Postby LumberZach on Mon Aug 15, 2016 10:39 am

Buck shot is illegal. Somewhere else in the law there is the specification that it has to be a single projectile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:03 am

FJ540 wrote:You can do smooth or rifled bore, you can even use brass hulls and essentially make a 1oz slug precision rifle like Pete did.

It's one of the stupidest laws we have because you can use a .50BMG to hunt coyotes in the farm zone if you want, but god forbid you should use a lever action .30-30 on deer...

A Winchester 94 30-30 is illegal??
BigBlue

Postby shooter115 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:52 am

BigBlue wrote:
FJ540 wrote:You can do smooth or rifled bore, you can even use brass hulls and essentially make a 1oz slug precision rifle like Pete did.

It is in the "slug zone", but .300 Win Mag in a pistol is fine. It's just stupid.
shooter115

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:13 pm

LumberZach wrote:Buck shot is illegal. Somewhere else in the law there is the specification that it has to be a single projectile.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks. I saw that but the section mentioned nothing about shotgun so I did not want to assume.
gun_fan111v2

Postby BigBlue on Mon Aug 15, 2016 1:03 pm

shooter115 wrote:
BigBlue wrote:

It is in the "slug zone", but .300 Win Mag in a pistol is fine. It's just stupid.

Any rifle is illegal in slug zone. Is that what the OP was getting at? No rifles in slug zone for deer but rifles are OK for other game? I've never heard slug zone called 'farm zone', but the statement makes more sense from that perspective if that's it.
BigBlue

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Aug 15, 2016 2:21 pm

Rifles are illegal, but shotguns with rifling and rifled slugs are not. More non-sense that exists, I believe, because no one has really looked at these regulations in a long time and the equipment has evolved beyond the basic that was around may years ago. I have always been curious, as others have said, that its shotgun only for deer, but blast away with high power long distance rifles at PDogs or Yotes. The logic just isn't consistent.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:09 pm

logic rarely pertains to anything government.
If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Postby BigDog58 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 4:49 pm

Cost, usually stops me from shooting P-Dogs with my 50. But, one round can often take out a whole town :paper:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby FJ540 on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:05 pm

BigBlue wrote: I've never heard slug zone called 'farm zone', but the statement makes more sense from that perspective if that's it.

It's the line between the prairie and deciduous forest transition that differentiates the rifle and shotgun zones. You say slug zone, I say farm zone.
FJ540

Postby JJ on Mon Aug 15, 2016 5:24 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Rifles are illegal, but shotguns with rifling and rifled slugs are not. More non-sense that exists, I believe, because no one has really looked at these regulations in a long time and the equipment has evolved beyond the basic that was around may years ago. I have always been curious, as others have said, that its shotgun only for deer, but blast away with high power long distance rifles at PDogs or Yotes. The logic just isn't consistent.

The slug zone regulations have less to do with safety than they do with herd protection.

With the amount of hunters and the relatively small amount of cover, the herd could very quickly be decimated by rifle hunting. Slug hunting has kept effective range relatively short. The evolution of slug technology is changing that to some extent, but its still mostly an under 200-250yd game.

As for oytes, the density of hunters is not 1/100 compared to deer season. It's simply not a fair comparison

i wasn't aware we had p-dogs in MN, could you point me in he right direction? Would save me hours of driving. :D
"a man's rights rest in three boxes: the ballot box, the jury box, and the cartridge box." Frederick Douglass
JJ

Next

Return to Hunting