antlerless lottery results

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: antlerless lottery results

Postby smurfman on Thu Sep 29, 2016 7:48 pm

I have a couple of spots I could hunt in 157- a 40 acre plot just outside of Askov, an 80 down by Cloverdale, and another 80 just off 48 on the Wisconsin border. I believe it is legal for me to sit at my favorite stand on the MN during the muzzleloader if so licensed and shoot deer in WI if I also have a WI license. I seldom hunt these as the owners also hunt there and I have other places I can go. When these were Managed or Intensive areas I often hunted them later on after the owners had filled their tags or for the muzzleloader season if I could still take deer.

I used to hunt just outside Pine City but it was annexed and is now in the city limits. At least the better spots are, some are still outside the city.

Usually, its near Bruno and down in 236 for me.
smurfman

Postby Dill on Fri Sep 30, 2016 7:38 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Dill wrote:no luck for me in 159.

Where abouts? I hunted area 159 for many years in the St. Croix State Forest. Now I am over in 157 on a small private plot. Had a lot of luck and good times in 159.

Chengwatana opening weekend, and east of Sandstone for weekend 2 and 3, just barely in 159.
Dill

Postby steve4102 on Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:47 am

FJ540 wrote:
cobb wrote:So far everyone I hunt with in zone 184 got one, didn't see that many deer last year like we have in many year past, so kinda hard to justify.

Keep shooting does and you'll run out of deer.

Just because the DNR will sell you a tag, doesn't mean it's a good idea to shoot the breeders.

Gotta get em before the wolves do.
steve4102

Postby FJ540 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:45 pm

steve4102 wrote:
FJ540 wrote:
cobb wrote:So far everyone I hunt with in zone 184 got one, didn't see that many deer last year like we have in many year past, so kinda hard to justify.

Keep shooting does and you'll run out of deer.

Just because the DNR will sell you a tag, doesn't mean it's a good idea to shoot the breeders.

Gotta get em before the wolves do.

So you shoot the does and the wolves turn around and finish off the rest of the herd. How's that smart?
FJ540

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:04 pm

That just isn't the case. Herd management isn't rocket science, but you do have educate yourself.
http://www.buckmanager.com/2014/02/06/deer-management-how-to-increase-antler-size-growth/

February 6, 2014

Increase Antler Growth in Bucks

Most hunters and property owners involved in deer management are interested in healthy herds and increased antler growth and size in bucks. There are numerous other positives that result from managed whitetail populations, the most important of which are healthier, more diverse plant communities for all wildlife species. Good habitat equates to better bucks, but sometimes additional inputs are needed to harness all of the antler-growing potential within bucks found on the property. It’s often during the deer hunting season that hunters take inventory of the bucks roaming their land, but the time to take action for next year is right now.

White-tailed Deer Management: Increase Antler Growth

Question from Mike P.: “I am involved in a small self-management plan on a 90 acre farm in Pennsylvania. Our deer are free ranging and are very low pressured. We do a buffet of food plots, about 7 acres of turnips, radishes, oats and clovers. We are also involved in the creeps program. We have established a great heard and do not harvest bucks until they have reached 130 class. What we seem to be lacking is antler mass.

We have been told by local deer farmers to add protein to their diet. We were thinking of mixing roasted soybeans with corn for our winter feeders. We have also been told to be very careful on the ratio of the mix and could make the deer “sick.” My question is, what is true and what is false, what’s right and what’s wrong? Is there something else we can do to add antler mass?”

Ways to Increase Antler Size

First, this is a great question to ask since most of the deer hunting seasons have wrapped up for this winter and because another antler growing cycle is about to start. Additionally, there are likely many other hunters around the US that are also wondering how to increase antler growth in bucks. The months following the rut are critically important for future antler growth because bucks are attempting to fully recover from the intense, grueling breeding season.

Antler size can be improved on bucks through adding points, increasing the lengths of points or by increasing the circumference of existing antler material, thus increasing mass. A lot of hunters look for a buck with a wide-spreading rack, but I’ll take the heavy-horned freak nasty every time. The only way to produce and harvest larger bucks is to add inches to antler measurements. Points (and plenty of them) tack on the most in terms of a buck’s score, but there are several other measurements, as well as factors, that play a role.

Antler Growth in Bucks

Antler growth in whitetail bucks always comes down to three things: age, genetics and nutrition. Antlers get larger as a buck gets older up to a certain point, then they start declining in size. There is some debate on when exactly that occurs, but I don’t think there is a single right answer here. Just as individual bucks vary in antler quality, I think different bucks peak at different years. Environmental conditions, buck to doe ratios and other factors all impact this. Hunters may see a buck’s best antlers anywhere from 5 1/2 to 8 1/2 years of age. Antler mass will increase with age.

Genetics are obviously important, but they are difficult to manage and this is especially true on small acreages where whitetail management and growing better bucks is the goal. Genetics for antler growth comes down to WYSIWYG—what you see is what you get. That is, unless you do something different. In the situation outlined above, it’s nearly impossible to make meaningful genetic changes in the deer herd. The size of the property may be a limitation, but the road does not end there.

Landowners and hunters have much more control when it comes to deer nutrition. In fact, there are many options when it comes to providing additional, high quality foods for whitetail. Food plots can work great in areas with dependable rainfall and good soils. In other areas, not so much. But this opens the door to supplements such as protein pellets, whole cottonseed and roasted soybeans. And let’s not forget that superior, natural forb and browse production can be encouraged on any property through deer habitat improvement that involves a variety of land management practices.

Deer Herd and Antler Growth

Ideally, hunters will shoot bigger bucks if they simply provide the genetically-best bucks on their property with optimal nutrition until they reach 5-8 years of age. As I mentioned, this would be ideal. The reality in this case is a 90 acre property that currently has bucks that are lacking antler mass. Without knowing any more about the situation that what was given, there are several things that could be in play. Any or all of these factors could be impacting the free-ranging bucks found on the property and in the area.

First, there is always the chance that you’re just unlucky, that the deer in your area do not have the genes to grow heavy horns. It’s unlikely, but completely possible. Antler mass, as it turns out, is one of the most heritable traits in deer antlers. Of all the traits that a buck may get from his father for antler growth, mass is most likely to stick. So, the WYSIWYG principle applies here. Thin-horned bucks sire more thin-horned bucks. But, in your case, are their genetics to blame?

An often overlooked factor that can seriously impact antler size in bucks is the buck to doe ratio of the deer herd. I mentioned at the top of the article that this was a timely question because bucks are currently still recovering from the rut. If bucks are physically run-down following the rut and do not fully recover, then they will remain so and will start the upcoming antler growing season at a huge disadvantage. If there are 4-5 does per buck in your area then this could be an issue. If there are 6-7 does per buck in the area then this is a problem that should be addressed. The ideal buck to doe ratio in this situation would be 1 buck for every 2-3 does, but the ratio could be much closer to even on very large acreages (or high fenced properties) with more control over deer harvest.

In this situation, there is no doubt that nutrition could be an issue contributing to poor antler mass. In fact, it probably is. Furthermore, poor nutrition would only make the skewed buck to doe ratio example described in the paragraph above even worse for bucks.

Poor nutrition is a result of too many deer for the habitat, or in other words, not enough food for the deer herd. Keep in mind that just because there may not be an abundance of deer does not mean there aren’t too many for the habitat. It all boils down to the number of available pounds of deer food per mouth per day. Of course, an insufficient diet may not necessarily be of a caloric nature, but one related to the availability of minerals. Mineral deficiency is most common on sandy soils or in areas that receive high amounts of precipitation. If this sounds like you, listen up.

Options for Increasing Antler Size

A buck’s hardened antlers are made up of approximately one-half protein and one-half minerals. If bucks are reaching maturity and still have weak mass measurements, then the deer management strategies on your property should focus on increasing the availability of these potentially limiting factors. The objectives should be to provide more protein, minerals (phosphorus and calcium) and trace minerals for all deer. Here are few ways to get the job done:
1.Food plots – Get a soil test for your plot area and fertilize and lime as necessary. Leached soils are low on minerals and other nutrients. Make sure that the deer foraging on spring and winter food plots are getting more than they see, especially post-rut and into the spring.
2.Protein Pellets – One of the best ways to supplement whitetail deer is through protein pellets with at least a 16 percent protein content. Many commercial brands are available and they contain not only protein, but all of the necessary macro- and micro-nutrients.
3.Other Foods – Protein pellets are great, but they are not the only game in town. Whole cottonseed and roasted soybeans are extremely high in protein and may be easier to get your hands on in some areas. These foods lack all of the nutrients that whitetail will need, but this option could be combined with plot and/or mineral sites. Stay away from corn as a supplement. In high quantities corn can cause several problems for deer and it’s low in protein.
4.Mineral Sites – These are debatable since there have been no direct links between mineral sites and larger-antlered bucks, but there is no doubt that whitetail are attracted to these salt and mineral mixes. Research in livestock have found that minerals improve digestion, increase weight gains. Heavier deer tend to have heavier antlers.
5.Fertilize – This practice is not limited to just food plots. Native browse species also benefit from nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium. Deer will readily consume preferred trees, shrubs and vines that have been fertilized. They can taste the difference. You’ll see the difference.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Nov 21, 2016 5:15 pm

Chuck Sykes – The Management Advantage Consulting
http://themanagementadvantage.com/home/antlerless-deer-harvest-principles/

Over the years, research has provided us sound management criteria to assist land and wildlife managers in improving the deer herds around the nation. I think TMA followers, under most circumstances, we have a pretty good idea of what we should do when it comes to buck harvest. Managers can look at body and antler characteristics when it comes to making harvest recommendations. Even with this basic knowledge, it is still difficult to make decisions on buck harvest. So, how do you do it on antlerless deer?

As a wildlife biologist and consultant, I discuss antlerless harvest goals for deer management every day working with clients. Writing this article should be a piece of cake. Then, I started working on it and quickly found out that antlerless management is so site specific that it is extremely difficult to put into words what we do on a daily basis.

There are many basic factors that a wildlife manager needs to look at when determining which doe to remove from the herd. First, let’s take a look at the property’s carrying capacity. If you are managing a property that contains a deer herd so antlerless deer harvestlarge that it impacting the landscape, it doesn’t really matter which doe to remove. The main objective is to remove mouths from the property. There is only so much food to go around. So in this situation, just take out any antlerless deer to lower the deer numbers.

If the deer herd on a property is too low and as a manager you are trying to increase the deer numbers, then you need to look at other factors. If I am trying to increase deer numbers and I still feel like I need to remove a few deer, I am going to select younger age does. The way I figure, my 2 ½ and older does are going to give me twins every year since the herd is below carrying capacity and I have plenty of food. In this case, I prefer shooting doe fawns or 1 ½ old does. They are extremely tasty and I am not negatively impacting my deer numbers.

Let’s look at a property that has been managed properly for several years. The deer herd is well within carrying capacity and we have plenty of food to go around. The management goals are to improve the quality of the deer on the property. In this case, I am going to select my older age does. If I have been doing my job as manager, we have been selecting for better bucks. Therefore, if we are breeding better bucks with our older age does, their fawns should be superior to the parents. With this strategy, we are keeping our numbers at a manageable level and improving the quality at the same time.

Now that we have a few basic criteria to make our management decisions, let’s take a look at a couple of situations and decide what antlerless deer we should remove.

First scenario, we are in the Mid-West and it is mid October. The property we are hunting has been managed properly. The deer numbers are well within carrying capacity, food is overly abundant, and the rut that takes place in early November. Therefore, the does are nursing fawns that were born in May and June. While bow hunting one morning and a mature doe with twin fawns comes by. Which one should I shoot?

As the hunt is unfolding, I am running through this question in my mind. But, taking into account the factors I have discussed in this article and the goals of the landowner, the mature doe fell victim to an F 15 broad head.

Second scenario, we are in Alabama bow hunting on opening day, October 15th. The property has been well managed for years just like the Mid West property. Same as above, deer numbers are below carrying capacity and food is abundant. One big difference, the rut takes place in mid to late January so the fawns are being born in August.

Opening afternoon we are sitting on a food plot and four deer enter the plot. The first is a mature doe followed closely by her two fawns and her last year’s doe fawn. What do I need to do? Since the mature doe is nursing two fawns that are less than three months old, I don’t want to shoot her and orphan those fawns too early. In AL, we cannot shoot a spotted fawn so, that the little doe fawn out of the equation. What is left? In my opinion, the perfect doe to harvest here in AL early season is the 1 ½ old doe that is still traveling with her mother and her two younger siblings.

Just as with buck harvest criteria, everything is site specific and goal specific. Each piece of property has its own set of strengths and weaknesses that have to be taken into consideration. Also, you have to consider the management objectives of the landowner. As with most wildlife related questions, it is best to consult with a professional in your area before making your decision. One thing that is certain, antlerless harvest is one of the most important aspects of deer management.

In addition to the management implications of removing antlerless deer, you also have the challenge of harvesting a mature doe. One of the services that our consulting company offers is removing antlerless deer for our clients. I can’t think of anything more challenging that trying to remove a mature doe in AL during late season with archery equipment. In my opinion, a mature doe is smarter than any buck every thought of being. At least with a mature buck, there are a couple of times of year that he lets down his guard. She never does! She has made it through many seasons of hunters and natural predators. She has raised countless fawns and taught them the ways of the world. If you think you are lowering your standards when you take a doe, think again. In my opinion, she is the ultimate target.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby FJ540 on Mon Nov 21, 2016 6:18 pm

When you have a carrying capacity of well over 25dpsm (which is most of the state), and the DNR manages for <10 post hunting season, you're not running into an issue of food being a limiting factor. You need more deer, Period, to give quality experiences to those who want a big rack while also providing deer for those who just want to shoot one and put it in the freezer.

Trophy hunting is not what our herds are managed for, and even in the APR zones down in the SE (bluffs area) corner of the state, they're not seeing any increase in "monsters" because the numbers just aren't there to allow the genetics to play out in the wild. You have an increase in 2.5yr old bucks being shot, because you can't shoot a younger one. There's no increase in trophy bucks harvested.

PA's management is not MN's management. Our herd is controlled by the auto insurance and farm lobbies. We have 50% of hunters going home with unfilled tags every year. That's because the deer just aren't there like the DNR would like us to believe.
FJ540

Previous

Return to Hunting