Hunting with SBR

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Hunting with SBR

Postby catman711 on Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:18 pm

Just want to verify that I can deer hunt with my SBR ?

I can't find anything official that says yes or no

Mike
catman711

Re: Hunting with SBR

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:42 pm

Yes, as long as it meets caliber requirements and is used in the rifle zone. There are no regulations for the physical size of the rifle.
The concern should be with muzzle velocity and terminal velocity. You should make sure that your selected load has enough velocity upon impact to expand and penetrate correctly. Such is why I like the TSX, because all but one can expand down to 1800fps.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Postby catman711 on Tue Oct 04, 2016 9:11 am

Thanks for the conformation .

The sbr with suppressor is the same length as the 16" AR I used last year

I used the Barns 110g txs last year in my 300blk rifle.
I will use them again if the 245g lead doesn't expand enough in a water test.

Mike
catman711

Postby goalie on Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:19 pm

catman711 wrote:Thanks for the conformation .

The sbr with suppressor is the same length as the 16" AR I used last year

I used the Barns 110g txs last year in my 300blk rifle.
I will use them again if the 245g lead doesn't expand enough in a water test.

Mike

Your mileage may vary, but while myself and several friends have had good luck with supersonic 300BO on deer (some >200 pounds dressed) the same cannot be said for subsonic at anything over 30 yards or so.

Not a scientific study or sample size, but people I know and have seen kill truckloads of deer.

Disclaimer: I personally have not shot anything living with subsonic 300BO, mainly because the guy who got me to try .223 TSX bullets on deer (they work awesome as well) tried it with repeated less than stellar results at any reasonable distance.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby UnaStamus on Wed Oct 05, 2016 7:07 pm

In supersonic form, the .300BLK is akin to the .30-30win; which is a long-proven deer slayer.

The unfortunate thing about the .300BLK is that some people see SpecOps using subsonic .300BLK in suppressed SBRs and think that it's some massive miracle killing round. The reality is that those people lose the context, which is that subsonic .300BLK is designed to replace the MP5SD 9mm and MP7A1 4.6x30mm in a covert urban CQB environment. There should be no reason to shoot subsonic .300BLK for deer. For some reason, on other boards I've read about people asking about the viability of subsonic .300BLK for big game hunting.
Obviously 110gr will hit like a hammer.
UnaStamus

Postby catman711 on Mon Oct 10, 2016 8:55 pm

Not going to get my testing of the subs done before this season.

I'll use the Barnes 110g TAC-TX. The deer last year didn't go far.

I fully understand the power (or lack of ) the 300Blk has. If I can get a sub to expand to acceptable level I will use it. If I can't i won't.

I HATE tracking deer. DRT is preferred.

My normal deer gun is my Ruger Super Black Hawk 44mag 10.5 barrel with 300g Hornady XPT.

Also range is not a issue. The longest shot from my stand could be 40 yards. Most shots are under 20 yards. 2 years ago it was 7 feet away.

Thanks for the info.

Mike
catman711

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:51 pm

catman711 wrote:I HATE tracking deer. DRT is preferred.

My normal deer gun is my Ruger Super Black Hawk 44mag 10.5 barrel with 300g Hornady XPT.

Mike

Nice revolver setup - matches mine, except I use handloaded 300 grain XTP or Nosler 300 grain Partition SP.

(Suspect your Hornady projectile choice was a typo error.)
OldmanFCSA

Postby crbutler on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:27 pm

MN has a handicapped permit as well, but it does not change all the rules.

You can shoot from a vehicle, but it is supposed to be stationary and the engine off, in essence, it can serve as your blind.
crbutler

Postby catman711 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 9:10 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:
catman711 wrote:I HATE tracking deer. DRT is preferred.

Mike

Nice revolver setup - matches mine, except I use handloaded 300 grain XTP or Nosler 300 grain Partition SP.

(Suspect your Hornady projectile choice was a typo error.)

Yes on the typo.

Sometimes the brain works faster or slower than the hands :D
catman711

Postby goalie on Wed Oct 12, 2016 5:00 pm

catman711 wrote:Not going to get my testing of the subs done before this season.

I'll use the Barnes 110g TAC-TX. The deer last year didn't go far.

I fully understand the power (or lack of ) the 300Blk has. If I can get a sub to expand to acceptable level I will use it. If I can't i won't.

I HATE tracking deer. DRT is preferred.

Also range is not a issue. The longest shot from my stand could be 40 yards. Most shots are under 20 yards. 2 years ago it was 7 feet away.

Thanks for the info.

Mike

With a can, supersonic is like a .22LR at the loudest. Why use something known to have issues on medium sized game when you already know (as do I and tons of other people) that the supers work just like a 30-30 on deer? Is it because of the noise?

I only ask because I have tinnitus and hate the noise myself, but am not willing to shoot deer with something I don't KNOW will work well for any shot that may present itself.
It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Postby UnaStamus on Thu Oct 13, 2016 4:34 pm

The problem is that at subsonic speeds, the bullets available for the .300BLK won't expand. The lowest velocity needed is around 1800fps, and that is for the TTSX bullets. Subsonic is ~1100fps and under. At those speeds, you basically have a FMJ .30cal pistol slug. This is also not to mention the trajectory beyond 100yds, where that thing basically drops like a brick.
UnaStamus

Postby catman711 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 10:30 pm

goalie wrote:With a can, supersonic is like a .22LR at the loudest. Why use something known to have issues on medium sized game when you already know (as do I and tons of other people) that the supers work just like a 30-30 on deer? Is it because of the noise?

I only ask because I have tinnitus and hate the noise myself, but am not willing to shoot deer with something I don't KNOW will work well for any shot that may present itself.

I should clarify, the Barnes is loaded ammo at 2350 FPS https://www.midwayusa.com/product/43038 ... -box-of-20

I have shot supersonic in 300BLK suppressed. They aren't bad, but not as quiet at the ear as my 308 Win Savage suppressed, but a lot quieter than the 44 Mag. revolver :D

I agree with proper ammo the 300BLK is similar to 30-30.

UnaStamus wrote:The problem is that at subsonic speeds, the bullets available for the .300BLK won't expand. The lowest velocity needed is around 1800fps, and that is for the TTSX bullets. Subsonic is ~1100fps and under. At those speeds, you basically have a FMJ .30cal pistol slug. This is also not to mention the trajectory beyond 100yds, where that thing basically drops like a brick.

Yes and no on the bullets. Factory bullets like Barnes, Hornady, Nossler,Sierra, ect. won't expand at subsonic. There are custom bullet makers making subsonic expanding bullets. The problem is price, most are $3-$5 per bullet.

I use these for subsonic target shooting http://missouribullet.com/details.php?p ... &keywords= .

IF after extensive testing (shooting into water and ballistic gel) I can get acceptable and consistent expansion, I might consider these for hunting.

As I posted above. This will only be used in a stand that max range is 40 yards. 99% of shots will be under 20 yards. If I go some place that need more range, I'll grab the 308,30-06,270WSM, or 243.
catman711

Return to Hunting