Road Hunting Grouse

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Road Hunting Grouse

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 11, 2016 7:25 am

BigDog58 wrote:This type of method sounds like it would be ideal for me. I'm unable to stand or walk for very long. I would love to try this method out, and see if it would in fact, allow me to bird hunt.

Because of my disability, I qualify to hunt from my vehicle. But, I have not yet done this because I have no idea where to go and attempt this in Minnesota. Before I was injured in 1999 I lived and hunted in Georgia, as much as I was able. During the rut, I slept about 3 hrs a night. I'd be in my tree stand at least 90 minutes before sunup, and would stay until noon, when I had to go back home and get ready for work. Weekends, were spent sitting in tree's (Ladder Stands) during deer season. In boats or swamps during duck season. Wood Ducks were a B!tch to shoot, at least for me.

I have not hunted since moving to MN in 2002 but I really want to at least give it a try, and see whether my limitations will allow me to do it ethically and most of all Safely? I bought a popup blind a few years ago with the intent on trying to deer hunt. The family friend that owned the land South of the cities, was going to let me hunt there. Just before the season started, her mother died (it was her mothers property) and a family feud began over the estate, and those plans went down the toilet.

Hopefully, I'll eventually meet someone with land, that I will be able to get hunting permission from. The last deer I ever took, a 12pt is hanging on my wall, and is getting lonesome. He used to have a buddy on the wall next to him, a 12lb Largemouth I caught in the very first B.A.S.S. Tournament I fished on Lake Okeechobee in the mid-80's (I still lived in Miami at that time). But I lost him in 2009 when our house burned. I sadly lost all of my camo clothes as well.

One of these days, I'll hopefully get another chance at hunting. I loved hunting Deer, Wild Hogs, Turkey, Rabbit, Squirrel, Ducks and Geese. And, I've always wanted to hunt Pheasant and Grouse. :didntdoit:

I would bet that you qualify to shoot from your vehicle, if so, you could road hunt easily. There were a lot of old timers who would hunt that way when I grew up. They would drive the back roads and shoot right out the window. Most would bring a passenger along to help retrieve the birds, some were lucky enough to have a dog that would retrieve for them.

As for places to hunt, head into Grouse territory and get off the main roads onto the gravel.
http://dnr.state.mn.us/hunting/grouse/index.html
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby BigDog58 on Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:03 am

Thank you for the idea and link. I plan to look into this and hopefully get it going this year.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:39 pm

I've had good/bad luck hunting on the road. Kinda tough on game animals but more so on the vehicle. One year after moving to Minnesota, I got 3 deer with 3 different vehicles. Grouse usually just took the grille or windshield out. Had to learn to look for game animals while driving defensively.

No firearms were used to collect these game animals. :mrgreen:

Wisconsin has a Disability Hunting program.
OldmanFCSA

Postby steve4102 on Mon Oct 17, 2016 7:51 am

yukonjasper wrote: I don't know any deer hunters that will only shoot deer if they are at a full run or will spook a deer prior to shooting so as to get the most challenging shot possible.

yours truly,
Bozo

Now that there is funny.

Thanks
steve4102

Postby rtk on Mon Oct 17, 2016 3:22 pm

We walk when we hunt grouse, but then again we are able bodied....The wife and I were out yesterday morning at the cabin for a walk down our trail and we flushed 5 and she asked me why I didn't shoot....I told her that I didn't feel like cleaning my shotgun or birds. When my Son is up with his dog we try a little harder :shock:

I must be getting old!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Previous

Return to Hunting