7 days....

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

7 days....

Postby Jreinan01 on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:33 pm

7 more days until pheasant opener!!! Who's going and where?
Jreinan01

Re: 7 days....

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Oct 07, 2016 7:51 pm

Doing a combo hunt near Ortonville. We duck hunt until about 830 then change the duck gear over to pheasant gear. Not sure what the numbers look like this year.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

7 days....

Postby Jreinan01 on Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:01 am

Staying in Slayton...hunt Murray county mostly
Jreinan01

Postby smurfman on Sat Oct 08, 2016 7:18 pm

Will be in Ely chasing grouse, don't do the opener much anymore.

I am not much of a pheasant chaser until most of the corn is in, corn is not conducive to pointing dogs. If I hunt this time of year it is usually the last hour of shooting time when the birds head in to roost. I hunt this way around the house where I can watch for roosters out the back door.

My main pheasant areas are north and west of the metro, I stay away from the more traditional areas for the most part. I hunt alone so a couple opportunities a day are all I really need. It also a lot easier to get on private land when outside the normal areas. There is also the possibility of shooting ruffed grouse or even sharp tail grouse depending on the area. I do hunt the far southwestern but usually not until after the swamps freeze. The birds tend to be more concentrated though not easy. I also like the idea I can add a Hun or two to the bag on occasion.
smurfman

Postby UnaStamus on Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:28 pm

Huron, South Dakota in a couple weeks.
Don't hunt MN anymore. My bird dog is retired, so I can't go on my own anymore. It's hard to get the cousins to come out for a single day just so I can use their dog.
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
UnaStamus

Return to Hunting