A little less than 48 hours.........

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Postby 45Badger on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:56 am

Weather is gonna be too warm, but I'm getting psyched :D .

Driving up today, a little grocery shopping tonight and tomorrow, setting out my clothes, packing my field pack, settling in a for a week or three of sitting in trees. Does not get much better than this.

What are you doing?
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Re: A little less than 48 hours.........

Postby rtk on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:03 am

Same thing, just waiting for Jr. to pick me up this morning....a little grouse today and tomorrow and get things ready for Saturday morning. Don't forget daylight savings time!
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby 870TC on Thu Nov 03, 2016 8:35 am

Packing for deer camp: Gatorade, sunblock, sunglasses, bug spray, Blaze tee shirt, cutoff jeans, more Gatorade, butterfly net, blaze pith helmet, ...dang it gonna be warmish!!
Best of luck to the rest of you
870TC

Postby Jackpine Savage on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:40 am

I miss deer camp sometimes. I started out sleeping in the back of the truck up near Togo, my first deer taken was on the last day of the season and it was around -20. In the next years we moved up to truck campers and RV trailers. Then a buddy and I bought some land near Split Hand lake. Started out there with a RV trailer and then moved up to a mouse infested mobile home, complete with drilled hand well and an outhouse with a screen door.

Sold that land and now hunt on the farm here in Todd County. It is kind of nice to fall out of my own bed and walk to the stand.

We have corn standing yet, that always makes it a little more difficult. Seeing lots of sign, several scrape lines. Sounds like it will be near 60 degrees, a little too warm, but I'll take it over -20!
Jackpine Savage

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:04 am

Tonight is all about cooking, tomorrow is all about packing

Good luck everybody!
gun_fan111v2

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Nov 03, 2016 6:24 pm

Came up today to help my mom get the house ready for winter. Tomorrow will be finishing chores and then a run to F&D Meats for sandwich meats. Hit the beer store. Say goodbye to ma and off to the traditional hunting grounds in Bear River. My cousin bought his dad out and now owns the farm I've hunted for 35 years. I'll hunt until Monday night. BAck to mom's Monday night to help out an off for the concrete jungle Tuesday afternoon.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby smurfman on Thu Nov 03, 2016 7:18 pm

I finally made it to the cabin, was trying to get here much earlier in the day. Between shopping, washing, packing, doing last minute chores, and stopping in to a friend's to borrow a staple remover to remove staples put in my dog after meeting a barbed wire fence last Friday I had a busier than planned day.

Have a lot to do tomorrow with missing the one day but it is better than it could have been as I have been sick since last week. Still having sniffles and congestion but it is getting better. Check game cameras, build a base for the radial arm saw, and begin charring pine boards as a wall covering will take more time than I have.

I'll be here through Monday then its off to home to vote and hunt behind the house through Thursday. The cabin is in a buck only area which limits my opportunities a bit. The house is in a managed area so I can take either with the main tag and have a bonus tag available. Then its back to the cabin until the end of the season if necessary.
smurfman

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:20 pm

Looks like the weather you guys are going to have, will be very much like the weather we had when I lived and hunted in GA.

This type weather makes me wish I was out in the woods looking for Bambi's Dad (or mom) :(
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby LumberZach on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Took the week off work and I get to hunt for 9-10 days. Couldn't be more excited. Best of luck to everyone. Stay safe and avoid the idiots.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:38 pm

Truck is packed and ready to roll, just gotta hook up the trailer and load the ATV tomorrow when the young one gets home forme school and it is off to the woods.
Holland&Holland

Postby wasfuzz on Thu Nov 03, 2016 9:58 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Looks like the weather you guys are going to have, will be very much like the weather we had when I lived and hunted in GA.

This type weather makes me wish I was out in the woods looking for Bambi's Dad (or mom) :(

Yes but are deer are Yankees and they don't like warm weather this time of year, I remember hunting Bambi's in Ga when we lived there, more like Rin tin tin they weren't much bigger German shepherds in west Ga
ONE* Training LLC - Mapleton, MN
Offering Training in;
NRA Basic Pistol
MN DPS/ BCA Approved Conceal Carry
WI,IA Conceal Carry
NRA LE Firearms Instructor & LEO HR 218 Training
MN DNR Hunter Safety
ASP Expandable Baton
wasfuzz

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Nov 03, 2016 10:51 pm

Fuzzy you must be Mis-remembering the deer in GA. I hunted in Meriwether County, GA about an hour south of Atlanta. I have a 12 pt on my wall that makes most Yankee deer look like puppies :shock: He weighed right at #240 field dressed. He scored 174 Dried not green.

Most of the deer in GA, AL, TN and many of the Southern States are related to the same Whitetail's up here. In the 30's, after the depression, deer were nearly extinct down south. Deer from up here in places like MN, MI, WI, and Canada were caught and relocated to many of the southern states to repopulate the small amount that were left. There are some truly big monsters down there. And, yes there are some not so big, but that holds true just about everywhere.

12 Pt Buck.jpg
GA Boy Deer
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby smurfman on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:27 pm

The game cameras show a lot of does with the good news of one buck seen two days ago. It was a small 6 pt but it is rare to see any buck on the cameras at anytime of year. The neighbor immediately next to me has posted pictures of two 8 pt bucks crossing the field next to our boundary (his side naturally) but so far none have shown up on my cameras.

The coyotes are pretty vocal, last night they were challenging one of my dogs pretty good. At least I think they are coyotes as the voices were a little high for wolves unless they were the pups howling. Wolves were pretty common around here but the local pack was trapped out after someone shot one of the alphas. A new pack took over but they have their main base somewhere else. I kind of miss the old pack, they showed up on the game cameras regularly and they pushed the deer into the heaviest cover- which happened to be my property!!
smurfman

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Nov 04, 2016 2:42 pm

From a buddy's trail cam:

SUNP0105.jpg
Jackpine Savage

Postby smurfman on Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:04 am

That picture looks like one my neighbor sent me a couple days ago. Except his has a spike mugging for the camera and a pair of forkhorns photobombing in the background. It is on the opposite end of his property which is a good mile if not more from my property line. They have over 1100 acres with only two hunting it this year as the one brother died a few weeks ago, I couldn't count on them moving deer very much but at least the deer remain consistent in their movements. Unfortunately, it is not in my direction, usually.

Shooting hour is a little less than an hour and a half from now, good luck and be safe everyone.
smurfman

Next

Return to Hunting