Let's see that venison!

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Let's see that venison!

Postby goalie on Mon Nov 07, 2016 6:29 pm

The weather sucked for hunting, but I got a shot at an 8 and took it.

Too damn warm to process it at my leisure in my shop at home, so it got quartered and thrown on ice post-haste and is now sitting in my shop fridge keeping a keg of Summit EPA company

It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it.
goalie

Re: Let's see that venison!

Postby Ghost on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:16 pm

Nice buck. Too hot for me to hunt.
Ghost

Let's see that venison!

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:41 pm

I am not trophy hunting but I would love an 8+ pointer one of these years. How do the older ones taste?

Here is the one I took Sunday AM:
gun_fan111v2

Postby goalie on Mon Nov 07, 2016 7:54 pm

gun_fan111v2 wrote:I am not trophy hunting but I would love an 8+ pointer one of these years. How do the older ones taste?

I have an awesome chipolte sausage recipe. It all tastes good with the right spices. We made 125 pounds of it last year and it's all gone.

The tenderloins didn't suck on the grill Saturday night with mushrooms and onions either though.
goalie

Postby tullibee on Mon Nov 07, 2016 9:37 pm

I knocked down a small doe this evening - really, she looked bigger out in the pasture and gave me a nice broadside view, and her buddy was getting close enough that one of them was bound to bust me if I kept moving! chipotle sausage sounds good - details? :)
tullibee

Let's see that venison!

Postby gaberelli on Tue Nov 08, 2016 7:21 am

From this

To this

To this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
gaberelli

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Nov 08, 2016 9:40 pm

Making sausage tomorrow. Son dropped a spike. 10 pointer still running free though cause dad can't get it done. Oh well, try again this weekend.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Nov 09, 2016 5:28 pm

Sharing your sausage recipes would be great. We ended up with 5 opening weekend and while I didn't discharge my weapon, I will be helping with the grinding and stuffing of the sausages. We usually do a summer sausage, a polish and a bratwurst . We use the premixed spices from Fleet Farm - not very imaginative, but that's what we do.

If you are OK with sharing your recipe, that would be very much welcome.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:02 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Sharing your sausage recipes would be great. We ended up with 5 opening weekend and while I didn't discharge my weapon, I will be helping with the grinding and stuffing of the sausages. We usually do a summer sausage, a polish and a bratwurst . We use the premixed spices from Fleet Farm - not very imaginative, but that's what we do.

If you are OK with sharing your recipe, that would be very much welcome.

I do have a couple I can dig out for you but typically I also use premixed. Osseo meat market carries a sausage mix by legg that I really like for my breakfast sausage. Cabelas has some good mixes too especially for stix. The key once you find a mix you like is to find the right ratios of venison to what ever fat you are mixing in. Really can customize to your taste or the tastes of others who might be less keen on it.

Going out again Saturday but only got the one so far. Last year we limited out on opener Saturday and I had off until Thursday so I went a little crazy and made 3 flavors of sticks, 5 flavors of jerky, breakfast sausage, ring sausage, beer brats, polish with cheddar, polish with pepper jack, 5 different summer sausage recipes, plus the usual steaks, roasts, ground, chilli meat, stew meat, a meatloaf, hamburgers mixed with beef, .... like I said, if left with time I can get crazy.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Nov 09, 2016 10:29 pm

We have gone equal parts venison, pork and beef and most recently just 50/50 with pork.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Nov 10, 2016 8:58 am

yukonjasper wrote:We have gone equal parts venison, pork and beef and most recently just 50/50 with pork.

For me it changes by product. Breakfast sausage is 50% venison, 25% pork shoulder, and 25% port fat trimmings. Makes a great sausage that is fatty enough to pan fry well and be juicy yet not real greasy like store bought pork sausage.

Sticks are 80 percent venison, 10 percent pork, 10 percent pork fat. Other recommend 30% pork on these but I like a less greasy stick.

Brats, polish, and summer sausage I will have to look back to my notes for 2015 because I have not made any for 2016 yet (need another deer!). I started keeping a log a few years ago because I could never remember exactly what I did the year before. What I did remember is what we liked and what we did not like as much throughout the year. With the log I was then able to adjust the recipe the next year to really dial in ratios that met my families tastes. Now with the log I can not only look at last year but if I tweek something or try something different I can look back a few years to see what I tried prior.

One thing I found we really liked was a venison burger on the grill. I mix venison 50/50 with a good chuck making sure I have some good fat in there. Really makes a good grilled burger.

If I have time I will post a recipe that I learned from my grandfather. It is a ring sausage that I really like. It is 8 lbs venison to 1 lb of bacon (bacon, not pork trimmings) so it is a very meaty non-greasy sausage.
Holland&Holland

Let's see that venison!

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:40 pm

I was watching Meat Eater show on Netflix, episode about venison recipes, and if I remember right he mixed bacon into something as well. Burgers or meatballs
gun_fan111v2

Postby goalie on Thu Nov 10, 2016 2:55 pm

I make a lot of fresh, chipolte breakfast sausage and vacuum seal it. It is not smokes, so you just brown it up after you thaw it out. My wife and others who "don't like venison" love it. It took a few years of tweaking, but the recipe is great for breakfast scrambles, tacos, pizza, spaghetti etc...

12 pounds venison
10 pounds trim (pork)
1 large head garlic
4 tbsp black pepper
1 pint water
2/3 cup salt
1 cup brown sugar
16 bay leaves finely ground
4 tbsp fennel
2 tbsp thyme
4 tbsp chipolte spice

I get my spices at Penzy's every year, and just buy enough for what I'm making. The pork is cheaper if you grind it yourself, and all you really need are a good grinder, scale and a few meat tubs to make this. We have done brats and other stuff, but don't do it much anymore. We have the stuff, but don't think the extra work is worth it.
goalie

Postby arizona98tj on Tue Nov 15, 2016 3:53 pm

First year in the field for the 6.5 Grendel AR. High shoulder shot....through the left shoulder blade, broke the back, through the right shoulder blade, what was left of the 120 gr Nosler Ballistic Tip bullet lodged under the hide on the far side.

arizona98tj

Postby brad3579 on Fri Nov 18, 2016 6:50 am

IMG_3472.jpg

Got this one last Sunday, leaving this morning to try and find his big brother that I saw opening day but couldn't get a clean shot at.
brad3579

Next

Return to Hunting