Volunteer shooters to help thin Grand Canyon bison herds

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Volunteer shooters to help thin Grand Canyon bison herds

Postby Ghost on Thu Sep 14, 2017 7:18 pm

Ghost wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:I wonder why they wouldn't make more of an effort to round up and auction the animals to ranchers who want to start herds of their own. I know nothing about whether they are difficult to raise, but I assume there would be some interest. I have seen herds sporadically in Minnesota on fenced property. It is tasty meat although I have only eaten in restaurants.

Ever see the movie/documentary unbranded?

More to add to my post:

We looked into adding them to our farm many years ago. The people that we considered buying them from said they could clear a 7' fence from a standing jump. I've not confirmed it but I do remember them saying it.

We raised bulls for breeding stock and we were told that raising buffalo would be different because there really was no good way to work with them on things such as calving.

Lastly a neighbor did have them and he had a large one get loose, made it to the next county and they say it took a few shotgun slugs off the skull before somebody put it down with a rifle. I only remember seeing them drive through town with it in the back of their truck and the head hanging out the back and leaving a nice blood trail, no different than anytime we had an animal butchered though. The locker would come and shoot it, winch it into the truck and drive off. Blood for miles.
Ghost

Previous

Return to Hunting