4 days and counting........

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: 4 days and counting........

Postby tullibee on Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:34 am

hunting buddy got an eight pointer Sunday opening weekend. all I could see were little ones, and since I shot a little one last year I didn't want to do it again. friend's son came up for a couple days and dropped a small doe. regular buddy came up again last weekend and saw a beauty 8 or 10 with nice tall tines that he thought was headed toward my stand, but I never heard or saw hide nor hair of him. neighbor saw him early Sunday morning at the end of our driveway heading away from our stands. another buddy came up Tuesday and we didn't see anything. I finally got lucky Wednesday morning. was kind of windy, but I resisted the urge to go back to bed. about an hour into the morning I caught movement thru the trees. nice doe had just enough steps to get to a nice shooting lane that I was able to get gun up quick and get a shot off. didn't see how good I hit her and she trotted down behind a small ridge. thought I heard her drop, but wasn't positive with all the wind. texted buddy that I was going to sit for a bit in case she wasn't hit well. 10-15 minutes later I caught movement in same place as before. got gun up again just in time for decent fork horn to give me the exact same shot opportunity. shot just a tad higher than I would have liked, but luckily he dropped like a rock. texted buddy not to shoot until he heard from me as I might have filled his tag for him! walked to buck to make sure he was down and looked to my left and saw blood trail that even a blind guy could follow! doe was down about 30 yards away from perfect shot through the boiler room. wore me out gutting two and dragging them both far enough to be able to get close with 4-wheeler. I was a nice guy and gave buddy the doe since she was bigger - even loaded her into his truck since he is "mobility impaired" from motorcycle accident many years ago. got buck skinned, quartered and loined last night but still have to finish butchering later today. big time sore back and shoulders today! my back and butt are sure glad to be done sitting on the bucket though...
tullibee

Previous

Return to Hunting