4 days and counting........

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

4 days and counting........

Postby 45Badger on Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:47 pm

Will be nice to sit in the woods. Worrying about nothing but the source of that rustling noise..... 8-)
Live free, or die!
9mm = .45acp set on "stun"
Big Bullets At Moderate Speeds....Make Things Move
"You look like a tactical lumberjack"
Monschman is a thieving d-bag
.45 ACP - Because Shooting Twice Is Silly!
45Badger

Re: 4 days and counting........

Postby brad3579 on Tue Oct 31, 2017 7:59 pm

Don't have things ready yet but can't wait to get out.
brad3579

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:13 pm

If anyone needs 308WIn or 30-30 ammo, I've got plenty.
OldmanFCSA

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 31, 2017 10:49 pm

308 would work for me. I'll pm you.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby yukonjasper on Tue Oct 31, 2017 11:02 pm

Tonight was my packing night. Way too much packed. Should be good ,rumor has it that the bucks have started to Rut. Covering of snow will be welcome. Don't mind the cold for a change, should help the deer move.

Good luck to all the hunters, may that Thirty Pointer cross your path broadside.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:39 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Tonight was my packing night. Way too much packed. Should be good ,rumor has it that the bucks have started to Rut. Covering of snow will be welcome. Don't mind the cold for a change, should help the deer move.

Good luck to all the hunters, may that Thirty Pointer cross your path broadside.

Cold is ok, just hope the rain holds off.
Holland&Holland

Postby yukonjasper on Wed Nov 01, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm hunting close to Cook up North, I think it will be cold enough to be snow if we get precipitation. My Cousin called earlier in the week and said the heavy wet snow is weighing down the branches so it'll be a challenge to use the trails.

Heading out early to help my 87 yo mother with some winterizing and then out to the shack Friday afternoon.

Good luck and shoot straight.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby nhluke on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm heading up north (past Cook) as well. This year is the most excited I've been for firearm deer season in MN. At least the wolve tracks will be easy to see. Grouse hunting this year I saw more wolves than bucks up there.
Best of luck to you all.
nhluke

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Nov 01, 2017 7:51 pm

Sounds like a wet weekend here. I usually spend opener in a tree stand, but today I swept the mouse poop out of the box stand and tried out the heater.

We really saw scrapes get active in the last few days. Had 3 young bucks and a bunch of does visiting. Then this guy peeked in:

024.JPG
Jackpine Savage

Postby smurfman on Wed Nov 01, 2017 9:40 pm

The truck is loaded with everything but food, guns, and the dogs. They are heading to camp with me as the wife is having a "hunter's widows party" and the mutts get in the way. Two of the dogs would be heading up with me anyway as Thursday and Friday morning will see me hitting a couple fields for sharpies and roosters.

I am not too hopeful or bucks, they are not seen much on our property since it was logged a decade ago. I shot a scraggly 6 pt last year but that was more than I saw on the cameras all summer and fall. With no doe tags I will probably have to fill out at home rather than the cabin. It may even take me to the muzzleloader season to do so.

Good luck everyone and be safe.
smurfman

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:05 pm

Holy cow, there is snow up here !!!!!!!
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Jack's My dog on Fri Nov 03, 2017 7:32 am

Walking the dogs, then packing the car. Should be out of here by noon. Hopefully you guys are not in the mandatory testing areas like we are. Happy hunting!
Jack's My dog

Postby smurfman on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:01 am

yukonjasper wrote:Holy cow, there is snow up here !!!!!!!

With another 3"-5" expected tonight as I think you are in the Pine/Carleton county area.

There was a lot more last weekend which put a damper on bird hunting. It will be nice having the white background for deer to stand out against. It will be nice if the snow stays crunchy as I might then wake up when a deer approaches. Hopefully, the rain will hold off as my favorite stands aren't enclosed and the box stand is not in the best place.
smurfman

Postby Ghost on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:12 am

smurfman wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Holy cow, there is snow up here !!!!!!!

With another 3"-5" expected tonight as I think you are in the Pine/Carleton county area.

There was a lot more last weekend which put a damper on bird hunting. It will be nice having the white background for deer to stand out against. It will be nice if the snow stays crunchy as I might then wake up when a deer approaches. Hopefully, the rain will hold off as my favorite stands aren't enclosed and the box stand is not in the best place.

Snow on the ground will make for great weather. I dislike hunting when it's much above freezing.
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Fri Nov 03, 2017 10:33 am

Iron range was 23 degrees this am at 7. Hunting west of Cook in the Togo area. They are saying more snow and possibly rain Saturday night into Sunday. Free eggs with a deer license at Super One in Virginia, if you happen to be coming through the area. Good luck all, we'll see if I can see something to shoot with the setup I bought from Goalie.
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Next

Return to Hunting