Backyard Bunny Bounty

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Backyard Bunny Bounty

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed May 02, 2018 4:45 am

Ghost wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Sadly, I think you may be right.

If it weren't illegal in MN, I'd highly recommend a ruger american rimfire with a threaded barrel, suppressor, subsonic ammo and a thermal scope for gaining the tactical advantage in this situation. But, since you are in MN that's not legal therefore I can't recommend such a wonderful setup to eliminate this problem.

I think he should call in an airstrike. :lol:
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby xd ED on Wed May 02, 2018 5:19 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:I think he should call in an airstrike. :lol:

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Ghost on Wed May 02, 2018 5:29 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

If it weren't illegal in MN, I'd highly recommend a ruger american rimfire with a threaded barrel, suppressor, subsonic ammo and a thermal scope for gaining the tactical advantage in this situation. But, since you are in MN that's not legal therefore I can't recommend such a wonderful setup to eliminate this problem.

Only the thermal would be illegal in that set up.

It’s also what makes it super easy in the dark.
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed May 02, 2018 10:43 pm

xd ED wrote:
Rip Van Winkle wrote:I think he should call in an airstrike. :lol:

I don't know. Had a squirrel the other day give an owl a run for its money and win.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Mon Jul 02, 2018 9:00 am

A rabbit isn't a squirrel in their fighting ability nor "tools" though I've found a fair number of squirrel parts in the pellets under the Great Horned owl nest out in the pasture. It probably takes some experience based skill for an owl or hawk to take something as feisty as a squirrel though the Owls did a decent job on rabbits and skunks when the Owls were nested out back.

I've watched a red tail hawk unsuccessfully go at it with a rooster pheasant and our rooster over the years. Circumstance, experience, and luck all probably have something to do with outcomes. The pheasant was on the ground crowing one spring, the hawk was a year or maybe two years old. The pheasant was full sized and full of testosterone and being on the ground did not put it at the disadvantage of flying. That hawk was left wobbling on the ground as the rooster felt safe enough to fly away. I doubt that hawk tried that again for a while.

The same happened with our rooster except he was somewhat shielded by a bush. The red tail had to come in with a last minute turn which upset its attack angle. The rooster met it head on and won the ground battle.

A hawk or owl fights at a disadvantage as an injury or enough damage to feathers can kill it through being unable to hunt effectively. The prey animal fights full out to get away as it is dead otherwise. The incentive is for the prey in such cases.
smurfman

Postby LarryFlew on Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:32 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Ghost wrote:

Only the thermal would be illegal in that set up.

Depending where is back yard is......................

Not legal in my back yard but Ruger take down with Sparrow suppressor and regular scope would work fine (just an assumption;-)

If you're having second thoughts you're two ahead of most Democrats
LarryFlew

Location: Hamburg, MN - CZ fan - Class of 66 - USAF 66-70 - NRA life since 1970

Previous

Return to Hunting