Feral Hog Hunting -- Special "Boar" "Hog" "Razorback" ammo.

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Feral Hog Hunting -- Special "Boar" "Hog" "Razorback" ammo.

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:47 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Randygmn wrote:If you’re inclined and have DOZENS of hours to watch entertaining and INFORMATIONAL videos, Lone Star Boars has a channel dedicated to hog eradication. He’s probably one of the most experienced guys in the country killing hogs. He’s also very experienced with thermals and night vision. His videos are amazing. He’s out there killing dozens of pigs on a near nightly basis (he’s contracted by farms to keep the populations down). He’s hunting with everything from 300blk and up. He goes over weapon systems and bullet selections. Worth checking out, IMO.

I watch allot of their videos. Good info. As far as using a 5.56, after seeing the video of the guy who did use 5.56, and the big boar came running right for him, I would use something bigger. Will try to locate that video and post it. The guy got lucky he didnt get attacked.

Found it finally. Hear is a reason to use a big caliber AR.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_py-vhXMHM
Bearcatrp

Postby Ghost on Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:10 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:I watch allot of their videos. Good info. As far as using a 5.56, after seeing the video of the guy who did use 5.56, and the big boar came running right for him, I would use something bigger. Will try to locate that video and post it. The guy got lucky he didnt get attacked.

Found it finally. Hear is a reason to use a big caliber AR.
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4_py-vhXMHM

Cause he’s a poor shot? That was a 300 BLK.

ETA:
For those who are surely going to be "offended" by the graphic nature of this video when the hog is laying on the ground, let me be clear I shot him repeatedly to kill him. In all, including after the video stops, I shot this hog 20 times with a .300blk and 11 times with a .380 with hollow points.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:18 pm

Just opened up all the comments. 110 v-max. Doing something like that think I would be using Lehigh control chaos at minimum. Was considering using my 10 inch BO with Hornady 190 subs but think I’ll bring either my 12 inch Grendel AR shooting Speer gold dot 120 grain or my 12 inch 308 AR shooting 168 A-Max. No way I would use a bolt rifle unless I was elevated.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:02 pm

Bearcatrp wrote:Just opened up all the comments. 110 v-max. Doing something like that think I would be using Lehigh control chaos at minimum. Was considering using my 10 inch BO with Hornady 190 subs but think I’ll bring either my 12 inch Grendel AR shooting Speer gold dot 120 grain or my 12 inch 308 AR shooting 168 A-Max. No way I would use a bolt rifle unless I was elevated.

People have quite effectively used bolt guns against charging elephants. Just saying, if you can run a bolt gun...
Holland&Holland

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:05 am

That video was hard to watch.

A few thoughts.

1) Learn how to shoot. If the crosshairs were correct, he broke his first shot at the piggies kneecap, but he flinched so hard it looked to hit about 2 feet below Mr. Piggy. Out of all his shots, it looked like he hit the pig 3 to 4 times, even after it was lying on the ground dying in front of him. With all his spraying and praying, I'm glad I wasn't anywhere near him.

2) Use enough gun. A 300BO with varmint bullets and a 380? seriously? Have a little more respect for the animals your hunting, even if they're feral.

3) There's nothing wrong with a bolt gun. There's no reason Mr Piggy shouldn't have dropped in his tracks with one shot. See #1 and #2.

4) Anyone who goes into the field thinking they need a 20-30 round magazine, doesn't belong there.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:47 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:That video was hard to watch.

A few thoughts.

1) Learn how to shoot. If the crosshairs were correct, he broke his first shot at the piggies kneecap, but he flinched so hard it looked to hit about 2 feet below Mr. Piggy. Out of all his shots, it looked like he hit the pig 3 to 4 times, even after it was lying on the ground dying in front of him. With all his spraying and praying, I'm glad I wasn't anywhere near him.

2) Use enough gun. A 300BO with varmint bullets and a 380? seriously? Have a little more respect for the animals your hunting, even if they're feral.

3) There's nothing wrong with a bolt gun. There's no reason Mr Piggy shouldn't have dropped in his tracks with one shot. See #1 and #2.

4) Anyone who goes into the field thinking they need a 20-30 round magazine, doesn't belong there.

110 v-max is a pretty common round for hog hunting with a 300 BLK. This guy was lacking in the between the ears department.
Ghost

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:50 am

Ghost wrote:110 v-max is a pretty common round for hog hunting with a 300 BLK. This guy was lacking in the between the ears department.

If you say so, I'll take your word for it. Personally though, I'd prefer something with a little more oomph and sectional density.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:03 am

Rip Van Winkle wrote:
Ghost wrote:110 v-max is a pretty common round for hog hunting with a 300 BLK. This guy was lacking in the between the ears department.

If you say so, I'll take your word for it. Personally though, I'd prefer something with a little more oomph and sectional density.

Personally I’d not shoot supers in a BLK nor hunt with it so I wouldn’t either but there are people that do. Had he neck shot the hog it’d been down.
Ghost

Postby xd ED on Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:41 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Just opened up all the comments. 110 v-max. Doing something like that think I would be using Lehigh control chaos at minimum. Was considering using my 10 inch BO with Hornady 190 subs but think I’ll bring either my 12 inch Grendel AR shooting Speer gold dot 120 grain or my 12 inch 308 AR shooting 168 A-Max. No way I would use a bolt rifle unless I was elevated.

People have quite effectively used bolt guns against charging elephants. Just saying, if you can run a bolt gun...

LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby BigDog58 on Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:41 am

A few thoughts.

I'm in total agreement with Rip. That was a demonstration on what NOT to do when hunting hogs. Even though they are "feral" they should receive the respect, to dispatch them cleanly and ethically.

Have enough gun and bullet to kill them quickly. Learn how to shoot your damn gun, BEFORE going hunting. If you cannot do that, keep your ass home and on the couch. I hunted hogs back in the Florida Everglades in the mid 1970's, and we killed hundreds. We supplied them to Monroe Station for their annual "Wild Hog BBQ". Not once, did I EVER see the display of inability, that was shown in the video. We used not only guns, but on occasion we would use trained dogs to go into the "head" and corner the hog. We would then get close and dirty and dispatch the hog using a bowie knife, and a stab to the heart. It was a quick and clean kill. We NEVER had pigs suffer like the scum in the video.

Bolt guns, with enough fire power and the correct bullet, and someone that actually knows how to shoot it, and where to hit the pig, will do just fine. Not like the Fuster Cluck in that video! The person shooting in that video is NOT a HUNTER!
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:04 am

Gotta say, i was rooting for the hog to get up and put the hurt on that d-bag. For all the reasons already written, WOW, why would you post that atrocity on the internet. WOW.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Ghost on Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:55 am

yukonjasper wrote:Gotta say, i was rooting for the hog to get up and put the hurt on that d-bag. For all the reasons already written, WOW, why would you post that atrocity on the internet. WOW.

I thought he was gonna do that. It was only 40 yards out to begin with.
Ghost

Postby crbutler on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:08 pm

What an embarrassment.

Hit a pig in the right spot with a .300 Blk or heck, with a good hunting bullet .223 and you have a dead pig. (-and I’m a guy who prefers bigger stuff myself...)

I’m no great shakes with a rifle, unlike guys like Erud but I have gone into herds of Cape buffalo with just a double barrel gun. The danger from pigs is greatly overstated. I’ve done buffalo, bears, cats, pachyderms all with bolt guns and double barreled guns... you don’t need more bullets...just put them in the right place.

There is only one reason to use a semi auto on pigs... because you WANT to.
crbutler

Postby Randygmn on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:40 pm

A few thoughts.

Just to be clear- and only because I saw my post quoted above, this video that ya’ll are rightly criticizing, isn’t from the gentleman I recommended earlier in the thread. Todd Huey at Lone Star Bores is probably the most experienced hog hunter in the country. He’s had some trial and errors, sure. But I suspect there’s no one with more experience killing hogs with firearms and nightvision and thermal equipment. Fwiw. Just wanted to make that clear.
Randygmn

Postby Randygmn on Sat Sep 29, 2018 8:43 pm

crbutler wrote:What an embarrassment.

Hit a pig in the right spot with a .300 Blk or heck, with a good hunting bullet .223 and you have a dead pig. (-and I’m a guy who prefers bigger stuff myself...)

I’m no great shakes with a rifle, unlike guys like Erud but I have gone into herds of Cape buffalo with just a double barrel gun. The danger from pigs is greatly overstated. I’ve done buffalo, bears, cats, pachyderms all with bolt guns and double barreled guns... you don’t need more bullets...just put them in the right place.

There is only one reason to use a semi auto on pigs... because you WANT to.

I’ll make this clarification. There’s a significant difference between hunting pigs and eradicating them. Harvesting “A” hog doesn’t require a semi auto. Liquidating an entire sounder of those feral, invasive and destructive pigs, does.
Randygmn

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting