Feral Hog Hunting -- Special "Boar" "Hog" "Razorback" ammo.

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Feral Hog Hunting -- Special "Boar" "Hog" "Razorback" ammo.

Postby warrlac on Tue Sep 18, 2018 7:42 am

I'll be going on a guided hog hunt later this year. First time hunting hogs.

Some manufacturers make a special "hog" round with particular characteristics -- They are mostly lead-free, jacketed and partitioned with bullets like GMX, TSX, TTSX, XT, etc.

I suspect in a .223 it might be important to find a bullet with a structure that lets it penetrate the hog's shield and deliver its energy for a lethal shot. I'll be bringing a .308 Win that shoots a lot heavier bullet and therefore a lot more energy. I'm willing to bet that a hit or two from a .308 (even ball ammo) would give a hog pause to collapse, but maybe I'm wrong. Are there any MNGT members here who have experience hunting hogs who can comment?

Thanks,
Warrlac
warrlac

Re: Feral Hog Hunting -- Special "Boar" "Hog" "Razorback" ammo.

Postby Bearcatrp on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:55 pm

Lucky guy. Am hoping to go south for a hog hunt myself next year. Don't forget a range report with pictures. Are you doing a day or night shoot? I have a Flir PTS233 thermal that I'll use. Not sure which rifle though. Either 6.5 grendel AR or my 308 AR. The you tube videos are awesome to watch the shooting.
Bearcatrp

Postby Randygmn on Tue Sep 18, 2018 1:26 pm

If you’re inclined and have DOZENS of hours to watch entertaining and INFORMATIONAL videos, Lone Star Boars has a channel dedicated to hog eradication. He’s probably one of the most experienced guys in the country killing hogs. He’s also very experienced with thermals and night vision. His videos are amazing. He’s out there killing dozens of pigs on a near nightly basis (he’s contracted by farms to keep the populations down). He’s hunting with everything from 300blk and up. He goes over weapon systems and bullet selections. Worth checking out, IMO.
Randygmn

Postby smurfman on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:08 pm

Use whatever you would to kill a 200# deer. The majority of pigs you will see will weigh up to 120 # with most of them running 70-100#. The 200#+ pigs are pretty few and far between in comparison and that they are the spookiest around. Odds are you wont see one and they are even shorter to get a shot at one.

I've shot the most and my biggest pig with a 223 using 55 and 62 gr milsurp ammo - mainly due to a Ruger Mini-14 kept behind the seat of my guide's truck while hunting geese. My big pig ran 183 # live weight according to the rancher who's land we shot the pig. Some strange quirk of custom or law allowed us to shoot a pig on private land if was reported to the landowner but be illegal to retrieve it if they said no. At least that is how I understood it hour H it was strange enough I probably missed something.

If using a 223 I would probably use either one of the deep penetrators like a mono metal bullet or a more conventional bullet like a Nosler Partition or I would go for one of the 75 gr bullets as many speak well of them.

In larger calibers I used a 6mm Rem with 100 gr Core-Lokts and Power Points successfully as well as 180 gr Core-Lokts in my 300 Win mag. I have no doubt other bullets of like construction in any deer caliber would do just as well. If the shooting is close a 22 mag with FMJ is a common choice if one can shoot well. I wouldn't be comfortable with that choice but I've met a couple who swear by it.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:29 pm

Seriously, 6.5 Grendel or don't even try. Then it won't matter what bullet. Pigs will just fall when you read them the ballistics chart out loud.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:28 am

Randygmn wrote:If you’re inclined and have DOZENS of hours to watch entertaining and INFORMATIONAL videos, Lone Star Boars has a channel dedicated to hog eradication. He’s probably one of the most experienced guys in the country killing hogs. He’s also very experienced with thermals and night vision. His videos are amazing. He’s out there killing dozens of pigs on a near nightly basis (he’s contracted by farms to keep the populations down). He’s hunting with everything from 300blk and up. He goes over weapon systems and bullet selections. Worth checking out, IMO.

I watch allot of their videos. Good info. As far as using a 5.56, after seeing the video of the guy who did use 5.56, and the big boar came running right for him, I would use something bigger. Will try to locate that video and post it. The guy got lucky he didnt get attacked.
Bearcatrp

Postby BigDog58 on Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:59 am

In my more Youthful days, I hunted wild hogs in the Everglades. We used dogs and hunted from either an airboat or swamp buggy. We would wait until the dogs had them corned and "stretched out" (one dog on the front, one dog on the back end. We then used a Bowie knife and stabbed them through their side, into the heart. As I got older, fatter and slower I stopped the stupidity and only hunted with a gun after my neighbors incident (read below).

If they got away from the dogs and ran out the other side of the "head" (little islands in the swamp) we would shoot them. I usually used a 30/06, and it usually dropped them in their tracks. A good friend used his dads 30-Carbine (his dad handloaded) and it worked, but not as well as the 30/06. Another buddy used a lever action 30-30 and it performed well.

My next door neighbor was into primitive weapons, such as black powder guns, throwing axes, recurve bows etc.. He was about 6'3" and around 250-275 lbs. He got the idea that he would get off his airboat and go into the "head" with just his recurve bow. He shot a big boar with an arrow and as it began running, it circled back and ran toward him. He tried climbing one of the small trees on the head, and the limb he grabbed broke, and when he hit the ground, the boar hooked him at his ankle with it's tusk. Luckily, his buddy heard the screams and ran in to help.

They said the boar tossed this Big Man over 6' in the air and opened his leg up from his ankle to his hip. His buddy had a .45 and got a shot into the pigs head and dropped it before it could attack again. They used a radio to contact a ranger station, and they flew in a Coast Guard helicopter to fly him to a hospital. The neighbor ended up with nearly 500 stitches, internal and external, and he was out of work nearly a year afterward. He never hunted wild pigs with his recurve again.

Use enough gun to get the job done. Especially, if you are going to be on the ground with them.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby crbutler on Wed Sep 19, 2018 8:56 pm

If you use enough gun, an inexpensive cup and core hunting bullet will do fine.

I’ve only shot 2 feral pigs here, but also one in Africa and a dozen warthogs along with bushpig. Seen at least 50 more killed hunting.

Anything with a good sectional density and adequate velocity (over 2000 FPS) will work. Personally, anything over .30 seems to drop them better than smaller. .30-30, .308, .30-06 work very well with body shots (anything works with brain or spine shots... even a Grendel...)

.375 or larger give a very noticeable reaction to body shots, ( like falling over most of the time...) but you don’t need that big of gun.

Honestly, going after them in brush with a well mannered .30-30 lever gun is great fun! But don’t overthink it. Anything you would use on deer will work, however .22 center fires can give a bit of a death run if you don’t hit the head or spine.
crbutler

Postby OldmanFCSA on Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:08 pm

100 pounds of Tannerite at the feeding station - wait for proper time - BOOM.

Not sporting but how locals in Texas are dealing with over-population of hogs.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:27 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:100 pounds of Tannerite at the feeding station - wait for proper time - BOOM.

Now we know how pigs fly! :o
Last edited by Bearcatrp on Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bearcatrp

Postby yukonjasper on Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:57 am

OldmanFCSA wrote:100 pounds of Tannerite at the feeding station - wait for proper time - BOOM.

Not sporting seems to be a pretty mild way to describe it. I suppose i would feel differently if it were my land they were stripping.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Randygmn on Thu Sep 20, 2018 6:04 pm

yukonjasper wrote:

Not sporting seems to be a pretty mild way to describe it. I suppose i would feel differently if it were my land they were stripping.

Sporting?? Let’s not confuse this. It isn’t hunting. This is about invasive species ERADICATION. It’s now legal to kill these animals by helicopters with machine guns. Lol. Anything short of poison that can harm other animals should be fair play.
Randygmn

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:53 pm

I would use a 7.62X39 HP round in an AR-15 upper for hogs - it has the power you need (like 30-30) and is not over-powered like an AR-10 in 308/7.62X51.

I have both if you wish to test fire.

A 7.62X39 Upper was listed for sale here recently - a new one.
OldmanFCSA

Postby Randygmn on Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:09 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:I would use a 7.62X39 HP round in an AR-15 upper for hogs - it has the power you need (like 30-30) and is not over-powered like an AR-10 in 308/7.62X51.

I have both if you wish to test fire.

A 7.62X39 Upper was listed for sale here recently - a new one.

Funny you mention this caliber, as this is one of Todd Huey’s favorite calibers for hogs. He uses a CMMG Mutant. Of course, more projectile weight and velocity, the easier for a DRT outcome. But at some point, follow up shots, recoil management and cost for ammo has to come into play. It’s amazing to see some of these hogs soak up ounces of lead and still keep on running. Shot placement is still king, but having the ability for fast, multiple, follow up shots, is certainly prince.
Randygmn

Postby TSKNIGHT on Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:50 pm

Have hunted hogs with 357 magnum, 45 Colt, and 44 cal Uberti Remington replica.
Each did the job, but don't recommend the cap n n ball revolver unless you are really confident in your ability.

I enjoy the challenge of getting close to my quarry, but my last hog hunt was done from an elevated stand.
I questioned the guide about using a ground blind. His answer was "Only if you have a death wish."
Later as I watched a heard of 25 or 30 hogs come in to the wheat field and took my first shot, I understood what he meant. My shot actually drew a couple of bigger boars towards me. They were very aggressive and provided some pretty good shooting.
TSKNIGHT

Next

Return to Hunting