Pheasant Opener!

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Pheasant Opener!

Postby smurfman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 10:41 am

Had a quick opening day for me, shot my two roosters within ten minutes of the 9:00 AM opener. A commitment has me stuck at home so I just let the dogs out back and carried a shotgun as we walked part of the pasture.

The bird came out of a little swale that is mostly ankle deep in water after the recent rains. It is not uncommon to find birds roosting in their in the evening but I don't recall finding any there much after sun up.

The other bird came from outside the small patch of sorghum I planted. It appeared to have run out from the patch and into a continuation of the swale I took the first bird from. Again, I wasn't expecting a bird in the morning but I'll take it.

I probably took all the roosters in the area as crowing and sightings have been minimal this year. I saw more hen's than normal but only found two broods over the summer. With all the beans and corn still in the field, productive hunting will probably be more in the last hour or two than the rest of the day.
smurfman

Re: Pheasant Opener!

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:37 am

Ducks were flying early.
Attachments
20181013_102420.jpg
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Jack's My dog on Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:08 pm

Hunted in west central MN. Most of the corn and beans are still in the field. Only took one yesterday, but saw quite a few birds considering the amount of cover still available in the fields. We were able to come home with a couple this morning. I will be curious to see what next weekend brings, with more of the harvest complete. We definitely saw more birds on this opener than we have in the recent past.
Jack's My dog

Postby Ghost on Sun Oct 14, 2018 9:37 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Ducks were flying early.

Nice job
Ghost

Postby smurfman on Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 pm

No pheasants today, they are pretty scarce up here. Did get a limit of woodcock and a ruffed grouse this morning though. Had a bear visiting the bait pit 3 of the last four days right at the end of shooting hours but he didn't show. Another year of bear tag soup.
smurfman

Return to Hunting