Bear Report?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Bear Report?

Postby Lumpy on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:06 pm

So what do you tell a young camper who's afraid there might be bears out there? ARE there any bears in <name area>? Is there any way to get a bear report for an area? MN DNR? The local county game warden?
Lumpy

Re: Bear Report?

Postby xd ED on Sat Dec 22, 2018 9:17 pm

Lumpy wrote:So what do you tell a young camper who's afraid there might be bears out there? ARE there any bears in <name area>? Is there any way to get a bear report for an area? MN DNR? The local county game warden?

In the wooded areas of Minnesota, anywhere from the Twin Cities north, assume there are bears nearby, and prepare yourself. Bears are rarely interested in people; mainly just their food.
And if the bears don't try to get your camp food, at most campsites there are plenty of well trained mice, chipmunks, squirrels, fox, and raccoons that will destroy almost anything to get at your food.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:10 pm

As someone who grew up in Northern Minnesota (Iron Range), camped alot in the BWCAW and elsewhere, hunted and fished a ton , I've had lots and lots of bear encounters and can tell you none of those were ever the result of an aggressive bear. All were food related. If you take proper care to keep your campsite clean, properly stow your food and beverages, you won't have a problem. The worst I've had happen was damage to coolers, packs and tents when people were careless with food storage. Smaller critters can cause damage also. So, unless you are planning to roll in corn syrup and coat yourself in Fruit Loops, the bears will leave you alone, easy to get at food is a different story.

All the resources you mentioned will likely have active areas reports that they are happy to share. Good luck and God Bless you for taking a kid camping.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:14 pm

yukonjasper wrote:As someone who grew up in Northern Minnesota (Iron Range), camped alot in the BWCAW and elsewhere, hunted and fished a ton , I've had lots and lots of bear encounters and can tell you none of those were ever the result of an aggressive bear. All were food related. If you take proper care to keep your campsite clean, properly stow your food and beverages, you won't have a problem. The worst I've had happen was damage to coolers, packs and tents when people were careless with food storage. Smaller critters can cause damage also. So, unless you are planning to roll in corn syrup and coat yourself in Fruit Loops, the bears will leave you alone, easy to get at food is a different story.

All the resources you mentioned will likely have active areas reports that they are happy to share. Good luck and God Bless you for taking a kid camping.

Show those chipmunk who is boss and they will leave you alone as well.
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:37 pm

Basically, anyplace north of I-94 plus the northeastern part of MN around Rochester to the WI border has permanent populations of bears. There are scattered sightings of bears in the rest of MN so there isn't a place that is truly free of them- just places where it is less likely to run across them. A call to the DNR will be the best place to gather this information.

As has been said, it is unusual to have a problem with a black bear other than them raiding your food. One is not going to have much problem with bears if food and other interesting odors are stored properly. I've had far more problems with raccoons and possums than bears in my camping adventures.
smurfman

Return to Hunting