Night vision/thermal in Minnesota

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: Night vision/thermal in Minnesota

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 01, 2019 12:29 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
smurfman wrote:97B.081, also found on page 30 of the 2018 hunting regulations, states quite plainly that one is not allowed to cast a light to locate or take any big game, small game or unprotected species except for a few very limited exceptions. That statute seems to not be affected by the new statute so the old one would still be in full affect.

I'm pretty sure that the hunting synopsis of 97B.081 used the phrase "wild animal" to define what could be taken using lights in years past. That may have changed at some point but the heading for the statute still uses "wild animals". It might be in the fishing regs but I do recall the statute went so far that one could not even use lights to take frogs. Lastly, I had a nice talk with a conservation officer one night regarding the flashlight taped to my 10/22. When I explained I was shooting feral cats rather than wild animals and pointed out the pile of carcasses stacked along the fenceline, he wished me good luck and a good night.

Mirroring the artificial light rules would be the simplest change is the basis for my belief that NV/TI would follow that path. I don't see the rules regarding artificial lights becoming more lax so doubt it will be any different for NV/TI. I dearly hope I'm wrong but this is Minnesota where change moves in increments at a glacial pace.

I guess it boils down to whether or not they classify night vision as artificial light. It wouldn't make sense to me, but little does anymore.

I just ordered a PVS-14 8-)

Awesome
Ghost

Postby yukonjasper on Sat Jun 01, 2019 2:03 pm

Is the main fear the use of these systems in nocturnal poaching scenarios? Is it yet another case of the 99% being managed because of the 1% that cannot be trusted?
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby Jackpine Savage on Sat Jun 01, 2019 4:06 pm

yukonjasper wrote:Is the main fear the use of these systems in nocturnal poaching scenarios? Is it yet another case of the 99% being managed because of the 1% that cannot be trusted?

Probably. Just like 'there will be blood in the streets' argument against Shall Issue.

The serious/professional poacher is probably already using a suppressor, and it's probably homemade. But honest citizens aren't going to risk their $200 tax stamp and $1,000 suppressor by poaching.

Oops we were talking about night vision. Substitute night vision for suppressor, probably not homemade.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Ghost on Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:07 pm

Jackpine Savage wrote:
yukonjasper wrote:Is the main fear the use of these systems in nocturnal poaching scenarios? Is it yet another case of the 99% being managed because of the 1% that cannot be trusted?

Probably. Just like 'there will be blood in the streets' argument against Shall Issue.

The serious/professional poacher is probably already using a suppressor, and it's probably homemade. But honest citizens aren't going to risk their $200 tax stamp and $1,000 suppressor by poaching.

Oops we were talking about night vision. Substitute night vision for suppressor, probably not homemade.

I always figured the biggest poachers were victims of opportunity rather than big business poaching but I have no idea. No doubt there are some habitual poachers out there though.
Ghost

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:52 am

Has anyone used their NV/Thermal hunting yet? Have yet to see a coyote or fox since the law went into effect. Someone must have told them about it and now they are hiding at night. :o
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:53 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Has anyone used their NV/Thermal hunting yet? Have yet to see a coyote or fox since the law went into effect. Someone must have told them about it and now they are hiding at night. :o

It is all they are talking about over at MN Varmints .com. Fun site to follow. Foxy Loxy is hilarious. Watch out for Big Bad Wolf though. He is a bit if a jerk. Kinda a blow hard.
Holland&Holland

Postby Ghost on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:15 am

Holland&Holland wrote:
Bearcatrp wrote:Has anyone used their NV/Thermal hunting yet? Have yet to see a coyote or fox since the law went into effect. Someone must have told them about it and now they are hiding at night. :o

It is all they are talking about over at MN Varmints .com. Fun site to follow. Foxy Loxy is hilarious. Watch out for Big Bad Wolf though. He is a bit if a jerk. Kinda a blow hard.

So you go by Big Bad Wolf over there?
Ghost

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:45 am

Ghost wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

So you go by Big Bad Wolf over there?

;)
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:18 am

Holland&Holland wrote:

Got a link to that forum? I did a search but got the DNR.
Bearcatrp

Postby Holland&Holland on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:23 am

Bearcatrp wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:

Got a link to that forum? I did a search but got the DNR.

It is only open to fur bearing animals.
Holland&Holland

Postby Bearcatrp on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:16 am

Went right over my head. Good one.
Bearcatrp

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:18 am

Bearcatrp wrote:Went right over my head. Good one.

I was hoping someone would ask :mrgreen:
Jackpine Savage

Postby Jackpine Savage on Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:24 am

So I ran into a CO at a public event in August. I asked him if he could clarify a few things, like can I use a rifle. He said he didn't have any idea and grabbed the Hunting regs, looked at what was written, and said I guess you can if you are hunting coyotes. I asked him if I could go to my backyard range to sight in, he said that might be a problem :roll:

I ran across this on another forum:

I received this from our local CO Brittaney Hauser today. Some clarification on the new law.

Fwd: Finally heard back from our administration in regards to the new night vision/thermal regulation. They confirmed that yes, night vision/thermal can be used statewide with a rifle. HOWEVER, (because there always has to be a but…), if you are using IR enhancement illuminator option on the night vision, that would be illegal.
Jackpine Savage

Postby Jackpine Savage on Fri Nov 08, 2019 8:52 am

Sounds like the DNR has reversed course. IR illumination is OK. Until next week, when they get their lawyers to come up with some BS to make it illegal again.

Jackpine Savage

Previous

Return to Hunting