Duck season

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Duck season

Postby crbutler on Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:50 pm

So how did folks do?

I did OK on opening day, with a limit of wood ducks and teal. The next day didn’t work as well, as I probably burned the spot out, but I did knock down 3 in the 2 hours I sat out.

The main lake was dead- once again, youth season shot all the birds off the main lake. WTH they are thinking making that debacle a full weekend and allowing shoot to sunset there is beyond me.

I was seeing good numbers of teal and mallards on the main lake up until then, now it’s all coot.

I don’t expect much from now until we start getting some weather to the north.
crbutler

Re: Duck season

Postby striped1 on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:16 pm

MN opens duck season at least two weeks too early. It should be no earlier than 10/1 statewide. As for youth seasons, just take your kid hunting. Youth seasons do nothing but chase birds out.
striped1

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:40 pm

To early for duck hunting for me. Spent the weekend getting the boat out and ready for winter.
Holland&Holland

Postby rtk on Mon Sep 23, 2019 6:50 pm

To much water...local birds are laying up in flooded fields and every other nook and cranny. The spot that we hunt on opener west of the metro is always very productive but this year was very slow at best.
The sky is falling, the sky is falling....(Chicken Little)
rtk

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:25 pm

25 total for both mornings. One lone goose. Mostly Teal couple of immature mallard drakes, woodies were conspicuously absent.
Too hot to hunt beyond 10 on Saturday. Sat in the rain for about a half hour on Saturday morning, birds were moving after that. Sunday was cooler and more comfortable, but larger flocks were high. Dogs couldn't find 2 teal.

Did so.e fishing and caught some nice bass, a few sheepshead and a few really nice (3-4 lb) walleyes.

Good weekend all and all.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby smurfman on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:22 pm

I spent Saturday jump shooting ducks while going back and forth from shopping as it was mostly nonstop rain where I was so I couldn't do the outside projects I had planned. Shot three blue wing teal, a Woodrow, a ring bill, and a mallard. Pass shot a double on geese as they flew over the cabin on Sunday morning. Did OK on grouse going 2 for 5 and three for seven on woodcock.

The woods were very wet and I was glad to be wearing knee high rubber boots. The sharptails opener was pushed back to October so I did not have that option. There was a family group of swans in the creek alongside the road going past the cabin that was pretty neat to see. That was a first for that creek. Can't wait for the weekend and I'll be back at it again. My only regret is not bear hunting. There are two sows with three Cubs total wandering my trails on a regular basis. None are legal but they are fun to watch when they visit a bait. I have one boar around 300# that has been caught on the camera near my pit twice between 5:17 -5:42 in the evening. That early in the day is not common and it looks like the one that hit last year up to the season opener and again in the last week when I couldn't make it up there. Those were all near the end of legal shooting hours.
smurfman

Postby jdege on Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:45 pm

Duck season?

jdege

Postby yukonjasper on Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:38 am

Teviving an old thread. Any duck hunters on this board?

First 2 weekends were great out west near Morris/ Herman. Lots of teal but started to see pintails and a few redheads. Dog was lightsout. Tons of rain both outings, but hunting was good and gave us practice taking down the Shotguns to dry and lube. Wish I could post photos, but phones are all taking super dense 5-8 mp photos that I don't know how to reduce.
Deo Adjuvante Non Timendum - (with the help of God there is nothing to be afraid of)
Spectamur Agendo - (We are proven by our actions)
Non Ducor, Duco - (I am not led, I lead)
NRA Life Member
yukonjasper

Postby crbutler on Mon Oct 02, 2023 11:04 am

Teal season was reasonably good. Limited 2 days, got a couple the third.

Duck opener was quite good. Mostly teal with a woodie and some mallards (local birds).

This weekend was quite slow, but not skunked.

My lab is getting old and had cancer, so he only gets easy days.

Only real problem is all the guys “scouting” driving mud boats all over the place. Drive all the birds off of that lake, and they end up on retaining ponds where you can’t hunt them. You just sit and watch boat after boat chase the birds up and wonder WTF are these morons thinking?
crbutler

Postby crbutler on Sat Oct 21, 2023 6:16 pm

Some new birds did finally come in with the wind… but the pressure drove them off the lake very quickly.

Not having a good retriever makes shooting in mud holes very painful.
crbutler

Return to Hunting