Arkansas hunter dead after deer he shot....

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Arkansas hunter dead after deer he shot....

Postby minnesotatv on Thu Oct 24, 2019 9:55 am

Arkansas hunter dead after deer he shot apparently gets up, attacks him

A hunter in Arkansas died after a deer he shot turned the tables — and reportedly
attacked him.

Thomas Alexander, 66, is believed to have been killed as he was hunting in Yellville,
an area roughly 102 miles east of Fayetteville, on Tuesday at about 6:30 p.m., officials said.

https://www.foxnews.com/great-outdoors/ ... ttack-dead
minnesotatv

Re: Arkansas hunter dead after deer he shot....

Postby BigBlue on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:16 am

I'm sure the PETA-weenies will be peeing themselves over this...
BigBlue

Postby Holland&Holland on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:37 am

I have stupidly ended up hand to hoof with a deer before. Luckily I had a .357 in a shoulder holster that ended it in my favor.
Holland&Holland

Postby Grayskies on Thu Oct 24, 2019 10:55 am

Got to admire the deer's attitude!
NRA Life Member & Certified Range Safety Officer
Honorably Discharged U.S. Army Veteran
General Class Amateur Radio Operator and ARRL VE and SkyWarn
Amateur Radio Emergency Service® (ARES)

P2C since August 2003
Grayskies

Postby BigDog58 on Thu Oct 24, 2019 11:06 pm

My old hunting buddy had a similar incident back when we were hunting in GA. He shot the deer and it fell down an embankment. It looked dead, so he took a length of rope and slid down the embankment on his butt, with intentions of hooking onto the antlers and when we arrived to help, we would pull the deer back up, out of the bottom of the gully.

Well, he slid down the embankment and just as he stood up and dusted off his pants, he looked up, and one VERY PISSED OFF buck was standing there facing him. The buck charged him (he's not a big guy) and he luckily grabbed the deer by it's rack, but it pushed him back against the embankment. Somehow, in the melee he managed to prevent the buck from goring him as it attacked him. He didn't have a gun with him, nor a knife. During all of this we heard him screaming and cussing all through the woods. By the time we got to him and the deer, it looked like a massacre had occurred down in that gully. He was covered in blood, as was the buck.

My buddy was standing there, over the buck ( which was still twitching) with a large rock in his hands, covered in blood. We yelled down to him and asked if he was okay, and had he been gored by the buck. He said that he had checked to see if the blood was his, or the buck's, and it appeared the blood was from the buck, as he had only found his hands a bit cut up. The deer, had nearly the entire left side of it's head caved in, and it's left eye, hanging out of what was left of it's eye socket.

We helped drag our buddy up out of the gully, then did the same with the deer. It was truly a gruesome sight. It was a nice 8 pt but the head was so mangled from being bashed by the rock, our buddy, ended up mounting just the rack, for his memories. He said that the best he could figure out was that he had taken a neck shot, but must have hit it at the back of the skull and instead of killing the deer, it was knocked out from the shock, and from falling down into the gully. And, when it woke up,and saw my buddy standing only a few feet from it, it was PO'd and attacked.

When it was all over, and we stopped laughing about it, we learned an important lesson. NEVER go after a downed deer, without your firearm, and a good knife. When shot, they get a bit angry... :shock:

Every time I talk to my old buddy, I have to remind him, that I still get a laugh out of his foible, and he reminds me, of what I can do with that memory :lol:
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Holland&Holland on Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:30 pm

Good lessons there. Mine was similar. Neck shot doe but low. Shock must have knocked it out. Did not wait as it was prime hunting time on opening morning so got down to field dress it immediately (it had dropped stone dead after all). Approached it with my rifle, still looked dead. Set my rifle down and took my outer coat off. Got out my knife and went to flip it on its back and that is when it came back alive. Knocked me over, got caught in my coat and in the ruts of the river bottom area I was hunting which gave me enough time to get up and draw my .357. Shot from that put it down but not without completely bloodying my coat and me. It was a bit of a mess.
Holland&Holland

Return to Hunting