How's The Deer hunting Going?

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

Re: How's The Deer hunting Going?

Postby Holland&Holland on Sat Nov 13, 2021 6:55 am

armedwalleye wrote:Saw 5 deer on opening morning prior to taking a nice8 pointer off my home property with a slug gun in 227. Got him to the butcher, picked up a bonus tag on the way home and shot a nice doe after 30 minutes in the same blind that afternoon.

Gonna be good winter.

Took awhile ;)
Holland&Holland

Postby smurfman on Mon Nov 15, 2021 6:25 pm

Shot two does during the early season, another doe in Zone 2 last week and filled my regular tag this morning on a spike. Wanted tto shoot a nice 8pt that avoided me last year and showed up again last Wednesday. But the neighbor killed him but didn't get to tag it on Friday. Neighbor believes in head shots as one, "either kills them or misses." Well, this deer was not missed as it left a blood trail across the path on the border of our properties.

I called the neighbor and got him out to help trail the deer. He insisted the deer was missed then called it a minor wound after I showed him blood. A ways further a tooth was found. Followed the blood to another property crossed over (I have permission), and followed a ways more until I could not pick up the trail. Went back to the cabin and brought out my dog. He hasn't been trained for blood work but he does a decent job tracking crippled roosters. The dog did pretty good, he lost but found the trail a few times. After 4 hours and 2 miles we had to stop as the buck entered a state park.

This isn't the first deer he has "missed", those that live there see a deer with facial injuries every few years. Not that he is the sole cause but he is the most vocal about taking them. During the tracking he told me his grandkids took 4 deer during the youth season though there were a couple misses. I think one of those "misses" dropped near one of my stands based on the number and the day coyotes began making regular appearances on my game camera. I was seeing them on camera all the way up to the opener. I'll check on that tomorrow now that my season is done.
smurfman

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Nov 15, 2021 11:02 pm

smurfman wrote:Shot two does during the early season, another doe in Zone 2 last week and filled my regular tag this morning on a spike. Wanted tto shoot a nice 8pt that avoided me last year and showed up again last Wednesday. But the neighbor killed him but didn't get to tag it on Friday. Neighbor believes in head shots as one, "either kills them or misses." Well, this deer was not missed as it left a blood trail across the path on the border of our properties.

I called the neighbor and got him out to help trail the deer. He insisted the deer was missed then called it a minor wound after I showed him blood. A ways further a tooth was found. Followed the blood to another property crossed over (I have permission), and followed a ways more until I could not pick up the trail. Went back to the cabin and brought out my dog. He hasn't been trained for blood work but he does a decent job tracking crippled roosters. The dog did pretty good, he lost but found the trail a few times. After 4 hours and 2 miles we had to stop as the buck entered a state park.

This isn't the first deer he has "missed", those that live there see a deer with facial injuries every few years. Not that he is the sole cause but he is the most vocal about taking them. During the tracking he told me his grandkids took 4 deer during the youth season though there were a couple misses. I think one of those "misses" dropped near one of my stands based on the number and the day coyotes began making regular appearances on my game camera. I was seeing them on camera all the way up to the opener. I'll check on that tomorrow now that my season is done.

Sounds like a great neighbor you have there.
Holland&Holland

Previous

Return to Hunting