10mm Hunting

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

10mm Hunting

Postby Flip on Sun Jan 30, 2022 12:51 pm

Hi All,

If you wanted to hunt whitetails with a 10mm pistol (read: semi auto), what would you use? Why?

(Assume you have to pay for it)
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

10mm Hunting

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 1:13 pm

If buying new, I would be tempted to check out the just released M&P with longer 4.6” barrel and put a red dot on it. It would have to get an Apex trigger to make it ready for more precise shots.

Assuming of course you are not considering AR pistols in which case CMMG Banshee (not 5” barrel, one of the longer ones) would be my first choice.

Besides these two, it’s hard to go wrong with a 1911 when precision is needed.

Have a budget set?
Last edited by gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gun_fan111v2

Re: 10mm Hunting

Postby smurfman on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:07 pm

If I were serious about hunting with a 10mm pistol, I would find a Ruger Redhawk in 10mm. One could load it as hot as possible without undue wear and tear on the gun. Sight options vary from irons to red dot to reflex to scope. And, though the trigger isn't great, it is certainly not worse than most of the striker fired pistols out there when used in single action mode.

My stepson has a Glock 10mm that is very reliable and OK for accuracy but it isn't what I would pick as I don't like Glock's grip angle. From the little I've shot the 10 mm Springfield XD it seems a good gun and probably my pick in semiautos. I have shot XDs since before they were the XD so am probably a little biased in that direction.

The S&W M&P looks very interesting and I will have to keep my eyes open for one. I, too, would probably do something with the trigger for a hunting gun though I get along well enough with the factory triggers on the M&Ps I have. The Mod.2 trigger seems much better than the original ones, at least in the ones I have. The Mod 2 trigger is at least as good as the earlier CORE model I have though I wouldn't call either of them a match trigger.

For an out of the box semiauto hunting gun without much need for upgrades I would pick one of the better 1911s. I would shy away from RIA as I wonder how a low end gun would stand up to something like a 10 mm as is. A buddy's early Delta Elite had issues though that may have been due to the level Norma loaded the ammo and being at the beginning. Since then, hopefully more of the learning curve in gun and ammo development has occurred to lessen the old problems.

I am leery of a red dot or reflex sight on something of this order, my 40 S&W has eaten a few of them. I have a Trijicon on it now but haven't had a chance to shoot it yet. Sig, Burris, Holosun, and Vortex have all bitten the dust within the lifespan of a recoil spring - some drastically less. As this is with a "100mm Lite", I suspect the reflex sights in a full bore 10mm would do about as well.

Regarding ammo, I would lean toward the 200 gr bullets than lighter. A handgun is on the lower end of the power scale (for lack of a better term) and I feel the heavier weight bullets are more likely to reach the vitals under a greater variety of conditions. I've always been of the opinion that bullet weight should increase as velocity decreases for best results on game. A handgun is pretty slow from the outset so bullet weight should be near the top if not at the top. My opinion based on my research and some experience with a 357 mag, 45 Colt, and 454 Casull.
smurfman

10mm Hunting

Postby gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 2:31 pm

^^^ wealth of information!

Here is an anecdote about M&P. The trigger on my factory 2.0 compact was overall better than my performance center 2.0 full size. The later had a bit less creep and a cleaner break but was very heavy. Apex trigger turned things around.

There is also a line of CZ clones from Witness in 10mm, to mention another good option.

In a 1911, look for models with a ramped barrel. From everything I have read those offer more case support.
Last edited by gun_fan111v2 on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gun_fan111v2

Postby crbutler on Sun Jan 30, 2022 5:16 pm

A friend has killed several with a SiG 10mm.

Deer are not that big, and as far as you can hit a note card, the 10 mm is good. Folks kill them with muzzleloaders with worse ballistics. I’d agree that heavier bullets will optimize penetration.

I’ve hunted with a 2011 chambered in 10mm, but no luck getting a deer in range with it.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Sun Jan 30, 2022 8:36 pm

Long slide 6inch 1911

Federal fusion 200 gr.

Not a better combination for close range in my mind.
Holland&Holland

Postby Flip on Mon Jan 31, 2022 6:04 am

Thanks for the responses everyone

Additional related questions:
1. Is it worth the very modest increase in velocity to go 6” vs 5” or is it more a sight radius thing? What’s the shortest barrel length you woulD consider?

2. Do you think standard 1911 capacity is enough for bear protection if it’s ever needed? (All bear types)
It seems that politicians are most useful when they accomplish nothing at all
Flip

Postby crbutler on Mon Jan 31, 2022 12:41 pm

The 6” slide is more an issue with muzzle flip. I use one in my USPSA limited gun. It’s about quicker follow up shots. It makes the gun heavier and (depending) more muzzle heavy.

The velocity difference is meaningless. While the sight radius may make a difference in aiming, it’s not that big a difference (0.5”)

As to a hunting gun, if it feels better to the shooter, it’s worth it- but it’s no big deal. Your ballistics determine what you want for a hunting gun. If the bullet has enough energy, and you can hit what you’re aiming at, it’s good. If you like the ballistics of a 3” .44 mag, go for it. I personally would stick to the standard size as a minimum in an automatic.

As to bear defense, most folks use revolvers, so a 1911 has plenty of capacity for defense.

Dealing with a brown bear or polar bear is definitely different than a black bear. A inland grizzly is kind of in between.

The only thing that stops them instantly is a CNS hit. If it’s attacking, probably a brain shot.

One of the best bear guides in Alaska defended some fishing clients with a 9mm shield if I recall correctly.

Personally, a .357 with hard cast bullets (flat meplat) would be my minimum. 10mm works also, but .45 ACP or 9mm would not be my choice.
crbutler

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Jan 31, 2022 9:16 pm

Flip wrote:Thanks for the responses everyone

Additional related questions:
1. Is it worth the very modest increase in velocity to go 6” vs 5” or is it more a sight radius thing? What’s the shortest barrel length you woulD consider?

2. Do you think standard 1911 capacity is enough for bear protection if it’s ever needed? (All bear types)

What CR said on the 6 inch. If you are hunting with a semiauto then you want quick accurate follow up shots. Otherwise just get a single shot in a larger caliber. My 6 inch is so much smoother shooting than a 5 inch. I have shot 10mm in both (both 1911 platforms).
Holland&Holland

Return to Hunting