The Secret Lives of Deer

Discuss all of the great hunting opportunities in Minnesota

The Secret Lives of Deer

Postby Markemp on Tue Oct 17, 2023 7:54 am

https://www.nytimes.com/2023/10/16/scie ... state.html

Not sure it'll help me out this fall, but super interesting information!

In fact, Doe 12866’s fawn, which the researchers collared and nicknamed Rose, died less than a month after she was born. Her saliva contained high levels of the stress hormone cortisol, which the research team has found to be strongly correlated with fawn mortality. “Stress level does a better job of explaining survival than how many predators are around,” Dr. Diefenbach said.

And during hunting months, humans become predators.

Deer hunters play an important role in the study. Their hunting in designated areas of the forest, while staying out of others, helps researchers see how the landscape responds. Each year, participating hunters are asked to fill out a survey describing their experiences and observations. Over a decade of research, the team has gleaned new insights about how deer make it (or don’t) through hunting season, including how attuned they are to hunting pressure.

Take Doe 8921, also known as Hillside Doe. On the afternoon before rifle season, as humans tramped around the forest scouting out their hunting spots, Hillside Doe was looking for a spot of her own. She settled on the steepest (you guessed it) hillside in her home range, an inhospitable stretch of terrain covered with “boulders the size of suitcases,” Dr. Diefenbach said.

By 4 a.m. on opening day, Hillside Doe was bedded down in her safe space, as if someone had “texted her a message deer season was about to get started,” Dr. Diefenbach later wrote on the blog.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Re: The Secret Lives of Deer

Postby jdege on Tue Oct 17, 2023 9:29 am

What are the cortisol levels in a deer dying of starvation or disease due to overpopulation?
jdege

Postby Markemp on Tue Oct 17, 2023 10:08 am

jdege wrote:What are the cortisol levels in a deer dying of starvation or disease due to overpopulation?

Probably super high, which is why herd management through a well regulated hunt is so important.

I’m doing my part! Lifetime deer license here.
Laws and regulations preserve freedom by striking a balance among individuals' liberties.
Markemp

Postby daleamn on Tue Oct 17, 2023 1:06 pm

When the topic of deer hunting comes up I'm reminded of this old story about Ted Nugent. A journalist was doing an article about him and they asked about deer hunting.

Journalist: "What do these deer think when they see you coming? Do they think: Here comes the nice guy who puts out our dinner? Or, there's the man that shot my brother?"

Nugent: "I don't think they're capable of either of those thoughts. They're only interested in three things: the best place to eat, having sex and how quickly they can run away. Much like the French."
daleamn

Postby crbutler on Tue Oct 17, 2023 5:14 pm

So was the cortisol there because the deer was already dying, or because it was being sampled? (Usually you need to capture an animal to test it)?

Cortisol being up in a stressed animal is kind of a go figure thing.

You also should realize that time of day the sample is obtained is meaningful. Human testing is done usually first thing in the morning due to diurnal variation.

I didn’t read the article because I refuse to give The NY Times my information.
crbutler

Return to Hunting