3-gun Match - Dust em' off

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: 3-gun Match - Dust em' off

Postby tazdevil on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:12 am

Payne wrote:Thanks to SCAPSA for allowing MN3GunGroup to hold a 3-gun match at their location. 68 shooters coming out in 8 degree weather to try their hand at 3-gun says a lot for MN shooters. "We aint quite right" comes to mind.

Thanks for coming out and having a great time. I am excited to see what the rest of the year holds for the state of 3-gun in MN.

Squad #2 - thanks for the freindship and hard work at reset, the stages ran well and everyone worked nicely together. I must admit that I was mentally unprepaired for how draining a shoot like this can become by the end of the day. Something I definately need to work on, at this point I am refusing to believe my age has anything to do with it.

I really enjoyed the auto poppers on Stage #2, the choices and limited round count in Stage #1 (you can always count on Jomar for those unique and interesting twists), the entire stage for stage #3 (because I set that one up), and didn't much care for stage #4 due to the difficulty. Pushing the envelope on that one for sure for experienced shooters and it tended to mentally beat up the newer shooters. The great thing about it though, is that you will never see a more difficult stage at any Major match in the country. If you can survive that one, you should find the Major matches a piece of cake.

Great job everyone and we will hopefully see you at the next match.

Careful on the "ain't quite right" they may lock you up and take your guns!!

northernbird wrote:As a new shooter I dont really have anything to compare the stages to, but I really had a great time with all of them.. Except those stupid poppers on stage 2.. :oops: oh well.. thats what you get for bringing a not well zero'd rifle eh.. I loved stages 1 and 3. Stage 4 was definitely a challenge, but it was a ton of fun. Wish I could have shot that one a couple times. I'm super excited for the skills builder, and the next match.. unfortunately I'm going to have a conflict with one of them.. just not sure which one yet.

If your going to shoot at the next one at Minnetonka G and F, you better get that rifle zeroed then, we shoot at targets to around 300 yards. I loved the little "auto reset" targets, it was actually comical the way the far left one had a immediate drop down and return back up compared to the other 3.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby fabb600 on Wed Mar 20, 2013 11:38 pm

tazdevil wrote:
Payne wrote:If your going to shoot at the next one at Minnetonka G and F, you better get that rifle zeroed then, we shoot at targets to around 300 yards.

Just curious, Is it even worth entering a non-magnified optics category when there are targets out 300 yds?
fabb600

Postby Payne on Thu Mar 21, 2013 4:52 am

fabb600

Definately!!! You are competing against others in your division and they will face the same challenge as you. Frankly, you will be amazed how well you can hit targets at that range as long as both you and your rifle are prepared. By prepared, I mean that you have done due dilligence and know you bullet drops at distance etc.. I have seen many times where an iron sighted shooter has won long range rifle stages over even high power optics shooters.

I say give it a shot (no pun intended), you might be surprised.
Payne

Postby Keith on Thu Mar 21, 2013 5:04 am

And, somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but unless MTKA opens up the 400 yard range for us you'll be shooting at 200 yards max.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby J.Schmitt on Thu Mar 21, 2013 11:18 am

I'm not planning on using the 400 for the match so we will be shooting 200 yards on the silhouette bay.

Jay
J.Schmitt

Postby Dave Timm on Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:23 pm

First, thanks to MN 3 gun Group and volunteers for a great match! I had a lot of fun and it was nice to get the first match of the year behind us. I enjoyed all of the challenges from the limited round count to the long range pistol stage. Stage 4, the long range small pistol targets by far was the biggest challenge and probably some of the most diffucult pistol targets I have shot against as there was no feedback except your front sight. I was actually really pleased with how well I did on that stage but boy oh boy that was a tough one. If had to pick a favorite, probably stage 3 as I just really like rifle hoser stages :D .

Fab, I agree come on out. I second what Payne says, in fact I will go on the record as saying my biggest weakness in 3 gun is long range rifle. Last year at Midwest I saw Jay shoot the long stage shooting irons. He hit the long target, I think it was just under 500 or 450 ish, first shot with irons. I was was really impressed, I know Jay is a great shooter but man that was a sweet shot. For comparison I gave up after 4 shots and thats with a 10x scope, again long range rifle is my weakness. Last year I had the pleasure of finally getting some long range practice but it was only once so we will see how this year goes. One of the biggest things that helped me was chrono-graphing my loads, then I was able to finally get some real data on what my drop was at various distance. At the Ozark match last year for the first time hit the long target, granted it was a full size IPSC steel at 400 something but I was happy that I finally felt like I had a little long range game. Come out have fun, even a bad day at the range is better then a good day at work.

Dave
Learning Firearms - Training and Firearms Industry Video Production
http://www.learningfirearms.com
Timm Arms Co.
Firearms and NFA Sales & Transfers, Gunsmith & Armorer Services
http://www.timmarms.com
Dave Timm

Postby fabb600 on Fri Mar 22, 2013 7:11 pm

Sounds good guys. We're heading to the range this weekend to get more time with longer range shots and play with various ammo.
fabb600

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs