Best Type of Match Shooting for Disabled Shooter

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby BigDog58 on Sat May 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Hi all, I am looking at all the different Pistol Shooting matches such as IDPA etc. but don't have a clue which I would be best suited for.

I am mobility disabled and must walk with a cane, but can only walk short distances. Unfortunately, my cane is in my Strong hand so if I shoot , I must stop, switch my cane to the left hand or drop it to the ground. If I am required to go more than 100-150 feet I'm relegated to using my wheelchair.

I have no delusions of actually being competitive, but I believe I would enjoy the pressure of simply shooting against myself while under timing pressures. I would currently be using a Glock-17 and I can acquire whatever type holster I would need (currently utilze a fanny pack for CCW).

I am seriously thinking of trying the Steel Shoots, but I'm not positive. If anyone would be willing to call and talk with me and give some needed advice, please PM and I'll send you my number. I am in Edina and can travel up to a couple of hours to shoot, but I am not able to stay overnight at a shoot. I would need to return home the same day.

Also, if you know of somewhere I could go try to shoot a setup like IDPA or other type, including rifle, it would help me decide, which I am best suited for. The one thing I don't want, is to ask for any special rules, nor to cause any undue problems for those running the matches. I am certain, they already have enough headaches..lol. My last "Competitive" shooting was back in 1979-1982 in Miami, Fla and we shot what was called Combat Shooting. But that was a lifetime ago, and without a broken body.

Thanks,

BD
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Re: Best Type of Match Shooting for Disabled Shooter

Postby Mn01r6 on Sun May 05, 2013 12:33 am

This might be more accommodation than you need, but: viewtopic.php?f=15&t=34399&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=

The winter league at BPR would be relatively friendly as well - walking on a solid surface, little if any movement, sometimes we shoot from one spot, other times there might be 4 spots but they are only 5-10 feet apart. It is over for the summer though.

Do you need to re holster to move and then switch your cane? I don't know enough about the rules but that might disqualify you unless accommodations can be made.
Mn01r6

Postby BBeckwith on Sun May 05, 2013 7:01 am

You could probably shoot the first half of the steel shoots with out any problem. The first half the day is the timed portion where all shooting happens from inside a 3'x3' shooting position. There is no movement for those stages. The Man v Man requires "running" from a starting position to a shooting position about 15'-20' away. MvM is optional though as there are generally more shooters then positions in the brackets they use to track who wins.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Postby Erud on Sun May 05, 2013 7:24 am

If you like rifle shooting, check out Mid-Range/Long-Range Prone or F-Class. Lots of local matches and I don't think your limited mobility would hinder you.

Shoot me a pm if you'd like any more info.

**edited to add: smallbore prone might also be a good option
Erud

Postby Lights on Sun May 05, 2013 7:36 am

I do not know much about it but How about NRA Bullseye matchs at OGC? Here is a link. https://www.oakdalegunclub.org/events-and-activites/nra-bullseye
You do not need to be a member to shoot the matchs at OGC.
Mark
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby TH3180 on Sun May 05, 2013 11:35 am

GSSF matches there is no movement. Heck you already have a glock to use. Oh and no holster work either. GSSF is all from low ready.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby gunsmith on Tue May 07, 2013 3:47 pm

Are you more concerned with marksmanship practice or self-defense?
I was in a defensive shooting where I was assaulted (knocked to the ground....seems to be a common tactic) where I fired all shots from the ground. and one handed and aiming only with the laser. Never expected that. Had you given any thought to practicing in a dis-advantaged situation such as being knocked to the ground with only your weak hand available?
gunsmith

Postby TH3180 on Tue May 07, 2013 5:00 pm

gunsmith wrote:Are you more concerned with marksmanship practice or self-defense?
I was in a defensive shooting where I was assaulted (knocked to the ground....seems to be a common tactic) where I fired all shots from the ground. and one handed and aiming only with the laser. Never expected that. Had you given any thought to practicing in a dis-advantaged situation such as being knocked to the ground with only your weak hand available?

I like eggs.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby Spike on Tue May 07, 2013 6:36 pm

I think the steel shoots might be ideal. As has been stated, the first half is timed but has no movement once you get into the "box". You could even do the second half since you can't draw until you get to your box anyhow.

- Spike
Spike

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:20 pm

Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice. I believe I am going to try out the next Steel Shoot. I believe it will be my best option.

BD
NRA RSO

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby TH3180 on Tue May 07, 2013 9:31 pm

BigDog58 wrote:Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice. I believe I am going to try out the next Steel Shoot. I believe it will be my best option.

BD

See you a week from Saturday.
TH3180

Postby BigDog58 on Tue May 07, 2013 11:35 pm

TH3180 wrote:
BigDog58 wrote:Thanks everyone for all your suggestions and advice. I believe I am going to try out the next Steel Shoot. I believe it will be my best option.

BD

See you a week from Saturday.

I hope to make it. That is my birthday and I couldn't ask for a better day to begin shooting steel :D
NRA RSO

BigDog58

Postby engnerdan on Wed May 08, 2013 6:15 am

BigDog58 wrote:I hope to make it. That is my birthday and I couldn't ask for a better day to begin shooting steel :D

I bet something could be worked out if you wanted to shoot the Man V Man in the second half, I can not say for sure as that would be up to Benny and China. But if nothing else, if you just wanted some more trigger time. If nothing else you could shoot against the shooters who have a buy.
Seismic Sam wrote:When it launches, the marketing will hit you in the face like the shrapnal from a methane explosion in a 3 holer outhouse!! :P :P :P
engnerdan

Postby Drizzle on Wed May 08, 2013 8:52 pm

Yeah, for the MvM if we did something like having you stand in the box at low ready and not raise your pistol until your opponent ran to the box and drew; sounds sporting enough for most people there. It's all for bragging rights anyhow, we're serious about safety and not much else.
Drizzle

Postby BBeckwith on Wed May 08, 2013 9:01 pm

Drizzle wrote:Yeah, for the MvM if we did something like having you stand in the box at low ready and not raise your pistol until your opponent ran to the box and drew; sounds sporting enough for most people there. It's all for bragging rights anyhow, we're serious about safety and not much else.

Shooter number 1 would be 10 feet in front of shooter number 2 who has a hot weapon. That would be a no go according to the safety rules that are established.
The IQ of a mob is the IQ of its dumbest member, divided by the number of people in it.
BBeckwith

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs