How do other clubs deal with members shooting everything up?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

How do other clubs deal with members shooting everything up?

Postby benny on Wed Oct 01, 2014 3:37 pm

I have been a member of Beaverbrook gun club since 1995, also shoot at a few others around the metro area. I can not believe how members of any given club can shoot club property and think it is fine.
The volunteers spent all Saturday morning setting up a new target holding system in all the pistol bays, by Tuesday afternoon some one had shot the top wire off in two separate places. Now there is nothing holding the snow fence up, so it will sag down. The snow fence is set up between 4 x 4 poles to clothspin targets to.
I also found several of the metal chairs left there to use with the shooting benches made by the boy scouts for the club all shot up as well.

How do other clubs deal with this?? How many clubs actually provide target stands ,benches, chairs, table, or target systems to hold targets?

Thanks, Benny
benny

Re: How do other clubs deal with members shooting everything up?

Postby MNIceMan on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:09 pm

We have the same issue with the target structures. We send out a finger wagging in our newsletter unless someone reports an incident to the board.
MN DNR FAS Instructor
NRA Life Member
"We all have our own Green Mile to walk. How will yours be?"
MNIceMan

Postby maddhunter on Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:25 pm

How about some type of video monitoring? Could be as simple as a trail camera with the capability to send pictures to an I-phone instantly. Shooting the top wire could have been an accident-- shooting up chairs not so much.
maddhunter

Postby stesch_s10 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:38 pm

In my hometown there is a "range" aka a dirt berm and a place to shoot your rifle 100 yards. open to the public at any time. The city asks to just clean up your crap when your done... well over the last 5 years or so its been getting worse and worse.

They put a gate and lock near the entrance and said if this sh*t keeps up we will lock it down. A friend of mine put two 55-gallon barrels out there and spray painted TRASH ONLY on them for people to throw their crap away and he would go down and dispose of it.. well after 2 weeks it was shot up and blown up with tannerite. So the City locked it up and said if anyone wants to use it. Come to the court house, give your name and you will receive 1 of 3 keys to the lock. Only 3 keys will be given out and if there is garbage found those people will be fined.

So the range where you could run out to, sight in a rifle quick and leave is now a process through the courthouse. But my dad said he goes out there every once and awhile and says there is no more garbage out there anymore.
stesch_s10

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Wed Oct 01, 2014 5:48 pm

Not much you can do unless you want to invest in video monitoring or have full time RSO's to monitor the children.

Just curious, is Beaver Brook a members only club?
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby westhope on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:15 pm

My "Cuddyback" game camera has a "Guard Duty" mode that takes a photo 5 times a minute during the day. I think with the 8 G SD card that will be about 3 days. That may work, unless it gets shot up too. I have heard to mount these in a bird house to hide them.
Because I care, I carry.
westhope

Postby xd ED on Wed Oct 01, 2014 7:33 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:Not much you can do unless you want to invest in video monitoring or have full time RSO's to monitor the children.

Just curious, is Beaver Brook a members only club?

Yes it is.

A couple of years ago, after bringing out my own home-made target holders most of the season, I left mine (5 stands made to hold IPSC targets) in the target shack for a few days. Next time I came out they were pretty much shot up and useless.

I don't know what the solution is, but the amount of stuff getting wrecked, and the amount of trash left on the range belies both the character of the members I've had the pleasure of meeting and the truly classy shooting facility there.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby photogpat on Wed Oct 01, 2014 8:46 pm

Oakdale occasionally seems to have trouble with people shooting up the target holders...and sometimes the wooden posts on the backstop from stapling targets into them. I generally think that's gross negligence instead of deliberate vandalism though.

Never seen garbage left, or furniture shot up -- could be the video monitoring or the full-time caretaker though.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby gman1868 on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:05 pm

If that isn't bad enough, several years ago the IDPA club set up all the props the night before the match to save time because there were a lot of them.

The next morning we showed up and everything had been trashed and burned.

Now you know why I never joined that club.
Living the Armed Lifestyle
gman1868

Postby bstrawse on Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:25 pm

photogpat wrote:Oakdale occasionally seems to have trouble with people shooting up the target holders...and sometimes the wooden posts on the backstop from stapling targets into them. I generally think that's gross negligence instead of deliberate vandalism though.

Never seen garbage left, or furniture shot up -- could be the video monitoring or the full-time caretaker though.

I've seen deliberate vandalism at OGC - those individuals had a short lifespan as members. It was a rare event, but it did happen :/
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby OldmanFCSA on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:52 am

I go face-to-face with shooters that try to trash OGC firing lines and target holderrs.
Being 6'8" and 375 pounds tends to get their attention - just keep your eyes on their guns.

But I have to admit to shooting thru the heavy steel angle on the 200 meter range, strictly an accident from trying to re-sight at 200 meters instead of 1000 yards with wind correction built-in.
OldmanFCSA

Postby photogpat on Thu Oct 02, 2014 5:02 am

bstrawse wrote:
photogpat wrote:Oakdale occasionally seems to have trouble with people shooting up the target holders...and sometimes the wooden posts on the backstop from stapling targets into them. I generally think that's gross negligence instead of deliberate vandalism though.

I've seen deliberate vandalism at OGC - those individuals had a short lifespan as members. It was a rare event, but it did happen :/
b

I sit corrected.
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby Rip Van Winkle on Thu Oct 02, 2014 11:12 am

It's easy to cure the problem if you catch the asshats doing the damage.

The problem is babysitting the range in order to catch them.
I will never apologize for being an American.
Post 435 Gun Club
North Star Rifle Club
cmpofficer@post435gunclub.org
48 down, Still in the hunt for a heavy!
President's Hundred (#48 2018)
Certified NRA RSO
Rip Van Winkle

Location: Unfashionable end of the western spiral arm, Galaxy Milky Way

Postby IDPA Shooter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:59 pm

Rip Van Winkle wrote:It's easy to cure the problem if you catch the asshats doing the damage.

The problem is babysitting the range in order to catch them.

i agree. Often the board decides that they have to punish an entire club, for the actions of a few idiots. I joined a club, an almost two year process, so I could shoot the handgun steel they had on the pistol ranges. The month before clowns shot it up with rifles. All steel was then under lock and key by the board, for the sole use of the shooting sports folks at matches.

The board had little choice, steel is expensive. Yes, it is a members only club, I did not renew my membership this year.
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby IDPA Shooter on Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:05 pm

gman1868 wrote:If that isn't bad enough, several years ago the IDPA club set up all the props the night before the match to save time because there were a lot of them.

The next morning we showed up and everything had been trashed and burned.

Now you know why I never joined that club.

I don't think that was a club issue, but trespassers. I believe there were also bottles and beer cans around and the deputy who responded said suspects were likely high school kids. We formally report trespassers at our club, which is not Beaverbrook, and warn them that the sheriff will notified that they were on our property. So far, no damage from them...
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs