First time RSO duty today at OGC

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: First time RSO duty today at OGC

Postby hard h2o on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:31 pm

I have shot there many times and many more times on military ranges. I have now been an RSO at OGC twice. I still have a lot to learn.

It seems like it would be simple but with the different firearms and the different shooters there are a lot of different situations to dela with.

We had a group of 4 on Saturday. Two boyfriend/girlfriend pairs. Between the four of them they had one black powder revolver. They seemed to have a great time, they operated in a safe manner, and they understood when we had to call safe and have them step away from the bench even though they were in the process of reloading.

Another two guys sharing one handgun. They left and came back with a Mosin and a shotgun. The guy with the shotgun pulled 4 boxes of shotshells out of his backpack. I had to have him put the shotgun away.
hard h2o

Postby photogpat on Tue Oct 07, 2014 1:11 pm

The guy with the shotgun pulled 4 boxes of shotshells out of his backpack. I had to have him put the shotgun away.

Why?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby ex-LT on Tue Oct 07, 2014 2:42 pm

photogpat wrote:
The guy with the shotgun pulled 4 boxes of shotshells out of his backpack. I had to have him put the shotgun away.

Why?

I thought the same thing when I first read it. After about a minute of pondering on it, I came to the conclusion that it probably had something to do with bird shot on the (I'm guessing) 25 yard range.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby hard h2o on Tue Oct 07, 2014 5:32 pm

ex-LT wrote:
photogpat wrote:

Why?

I thought the same thing when I first read it. After about a minute of pondering on it, I came to the conclusion that it probably had something to do with bird shot on the (I'm guessing) 25 yard range.

Yes that is it. I understand that slugs are GTG on the centerfire ranges. I am not sure about buckshot. But bird shot is a no go.

From the OGC page for the 25 yard range: "All centerfire, rimfire and muzzle loading calibers, up to and including 50 BMG (rifle), 50 S&W (handgun), and shotgun slugs"
hard h2o

Postby photogpat on Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:21 am

I checked the policy and procedure manual and could find nothing on it...nor any explanation for the no bird shot on the rifle ranges beyond the "shotgun (slug)" on the website.

I could see maybe the call for no bird shot on the short range (maybe)...but if I was function testing a shotty and didn't want to wait in line or pay for a round on the trap range...I don't see why a few rounds of bird shot would hurt anything on the backstop beyond 25yds.
photogpat

Postby Seismic Sam on Sat Oct 11, 2014 12:23 pm

I suspect the guy was not function testing, especially with 100 rounds of shot. If it were slugs, then you could function test and set the sights for the gun, but bird shot?? Unless you have an autoloader, what is there to test?? If it's double barrel or pump, I can't see what you're looking for. Based on the ignorance level you see out there with public shooters, I think this guy may have been under the illusion that you can pattern test a shotgun at 25 yards with a normal OGC target, which of course is complete folly. The other reason is a lot simpler, and if you use shotshells on the 25 you're going to chew through about 3 pieces of chicken wire with every box of ammo. Not to mention pellets spanging off the target posts in every conceivable direction.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby hard h2o on Sat Oct 11, 2014 1:57 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I suspect the guy was not function testing, especially with 100 rounds of shot. If it were slugs, then you could function test and set the sights for the gun, but bird shot?? Unless you have an autoloader, what is there to test?? If it's double barrel or pump, I can't see what you're looking for. Based on the ignorance level you see out there with public shooters, I think this guy may have been under the illusion that you can pattern test a shotgun at 25 yards with a normal OGC target, which of course is complete folly. The other reason is a lot simpler, and if you use shotshells on the 25 you're going to chew through about 3 pieces of chicken wire with every box of ammo. Not to mention pellets spanging off the target posts in every conceivable direction.

It seemed he just wanted something to shoot. I think he was just intending to send lead down range. He would most definitely chewed through some chicken wire and I was also concerned about ricochets from the uprights and other hard objects down range.

He and his buddy were passing back and forth a handgun of some sort. They left and came back with the Mosin and the scattergun. After I told him no on the shotgun they shared the Mosin. It seemed that the guy with the shotgun had never shot a centerfire rifle before. They both acted in a safe and respectful manner. He did not gripe or question when I told him he could not shoot the shotgun at that range.
hard h2o

Postby photogpat on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:16 am

Running a shotgun for speed, accuracy, recoil familiarization....I can see many reasons why this would be something to try with cheap bird shot rounds before moving up to buckshot (which appears to also be against policy on ANY range) or slugs. If I read this right, we have no option at OGC for firing bird shot other than at the trap range, and ZERO options for playing with buckshot.

I'm going to bring this up at the next member meeting. It requires clarification. Plus, I don't agree that anyone would chew through chicken wire any worse than running a hundred rounds through handgun or AR...ricochets might be an issue, but with several rounds of bird shot downrange under similar conditions, I've never received so much as a pellet back towards the line with any energy at all...anecdotal I realize, but I think this whole thing is ridiculous as a "safety precaution".
photogpat

Postby benny on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:43 pm

I have had people show up with air guns and paint ball guns just to shoot them. Most ranges who open for the public will say Deer rifle sight in and specify you use legal deer calibers only.
Shot shells and buck shot are not legal in Minnesota for deer so you just tell them no because of that. Some ranges won't let Muzzle loaders either because some people want to clean their rifles between every shot and some use some pretty bad powder that will have smoke lingering the range for minutes after they fire the gun..

Benny
benny

Postby hard h2o on Sun Oct 12, 2014 1:57 pm

benny wrote:I have had people show up with air guns and paint ball guns just to shoot them. Most ranges who open for the public will say Deer rifle sight in and specify you use legal deer calibers only.
Shot shells and buck shot are not legal in Minnesota for deer so you just tell them no because of that. Some ranges won't let Muzzle loaders either because some people want to clean their rifles between every shot and some use some pretty bad powder that will have smoke lingering the range for minutes after they fire the gun..

Benny

With the muzzle loaders we just try to time the cease fires so that it works out for all shooters. We like the muzzle loaders to be empty when we go down range regardless of whether the pan is primed or a cap is on the nipple. If they are loading you wait until they have fired before calling the line safe.

Center fire and rimfire arms need to be kept up and down range with the muzzle never pointing over the berm. With a muzzle loader that is hard to work with so they have an exception. I do not know what would be wrong with them cleaning as long as they fit it in to the flow of the hot and cold stages of the range.
hard h2o

Postby benny on Sun Oct 12, 2014 2:19 pm

As a CRSO I never let any one even mess with their rifles while the guys are down range changing targets. And most of my RSO's that work the range while I am not there do the same. If the ML are on the pistol bays at the 25 yard line they are inside the berms so they can shoot at their own pace.

The reason behind not allowing a clean between every shot is the time factor. In the first two weeks it isn't an issue but after that they tend to tie up a bench to long. Even though they pay per gun for as long as it takes to get it sighted in we still will hurry them along if they are there for more than an hour or so. There have been people show up and be there for 4 hours just shooting ammo off, even had a guy show up and after shooting his hunting loads off he switched to tracer rounds because he just wanted to shoot them off.(Started the cardboard target backer on fire too).

I don't mind people spending some time just shooting when there is not a 30 minute wait to get a bench, but there has been some words said between costumers before that I thought I was going to have to play bouncer again. All that was over one guy with no patience and didn't leave him self enough time to wait in line.

[/quote]
With the muzzle loaders we just try to time the cease fires so that it works out for all shooters. We like the muzzle loaders to be empty when we go down range regardless of whether the pan is primed or a cap is on the nipple. If they are loading you wait until they have fired before calling the line safe.

Center fire and rimfire arms need to be kept up and down range with the muzzle never pointing over the berm. With a muzzle loader that is hard to work with so they have an exception. I do not know what would be wrong with them cleaning as long as they fit it in to the flow of the hot and cold stages of the range.[/quote]
benny

Postby 20mm on Sun Oct 12, 2014 8:02 pm

With all the posts about OGC is seems like the world would be a better place if it was shut down and all of its members didn't own guns.

Apparently the highest level board members are corrupt or inept. Yet they continue to be elected and hold power.

Numerous members are unsafe as the many posts in this forum alone show.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby hard h2o on Sun Oct 12, 2014 9:30 pm

20mm wrote:With all the posts about OGC is seems like the world would be a better place if it was shut down and all of its members didn't own guns.

Apparently the highest level board members are corrupt or inept. Yet they continue to be elected and hold power.

The unsafe acts I witnessed were committed by non members on ranges patrolled by members. The RSOs, who are all members and graciously volunteer their time so that non-members have a safe and enjoyable time, are the ones who reprimanded the ones who committed the unsafe acts and keep our ranges safe.

I have never seen an unsafe act by a member of OGC.

I have seen many members instruct new and inexperienced shooters in the safe handling of firearms and in safe range practices.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:47 pm

20mm wrote:With all the posts about OGC is seems like the world would be a better place if it was shut down and all of its members didn't own guns.

Then you can not read very well can you?
Holland&Holland

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 13, 2014 7:00 pm

photogpat wrote:Running a shotgun for speed, accuracy, recoil familiarization....I can see many reasons why this would be something to try with cheap bird shot rounds before moving up to buckshot (which appears to also be against policy on ANY range) or slugs. If I read this right, we have no option at OGC for firing bird shot other than at the trap range, and ZERO options for playing with buckshot.

I'm going to bring this up at the next member meeting. It requires clarification. Plus, I don't agree that anyone would chew through chicken wire any worse than running a hundred rounds through handgun or AR...ricochets might be an issue, but with several rounds of bird shot downrange under similar conditions, I've never received so much as a pellet back towards the line with any energy at all...anecdotal I realize, but I think this whole thing is ridiculous as a "safety precaution".

I agree it requires clarification. It has always been my understanding that we are slug only on the ranges and believe it is stated that way in the lead book. I was lead that weekend so if I was calling it wrong, do want to know.
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs