IDPA If you shoot a Glock.....

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: IDPA If you shoot a Glock.....

Postby Pat on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:32 pm

jac714 wrote:
someone1980 wrote:
Pinnacle wrote:I have been thinking about the perfect IDPA gun and it would be the 9mm 1911 - period.

Why?

1911 Trigger and weight with the low (relative) recoil of the 9mm the weight of a full sized 1911 would eat up all the recoil if you want to find out for sure go to Bills and rent the Para 18-9.

I am in total agreewith with Pinnacle on this one, as soon as I can afford it I plan on replacing my Hi Power with a Para.

Am not a Para guy. Would you have to go with their "LDA" trigger system on a 9mm double stack 1911, or do they also offer a competition style 1911 trigger set? I can imagine this gun, fitted with some really nice target sights, being the cat's pj.'s :!:

Am just too lazy tonight to fish around their web site...
"Happiness is...finding two olives in your martini when you're hungry." -Johnny Carson
Cardinal Kung Foundation , The Rule of Saint Benedict
Pat

Postby jac714 on Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:36 pm

The 18-9 is with the exception of holding 18 + 1 (Double Stack) a true 1911, single action nice trigger.

I'm not a fan of the LDA system either.

Check it out, the 18-9 seems to be a pretty good option for an ESP gun for IDPA.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby BamBam on Sun Oct 21, 2007 10:59 pm

jac714 wrote:The 18-9 is with the exception of holding 18 + 1 (Double Stack) a true 1911, single action nice trigger.

Check it out, the 18-9 seems to be a pretty good option for an ESP gun for IDPA.

But will it fit in the box?
BamBam

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:39 am

BamBam wrote:
jac714 wrote:The 18-9 is with the exception of holding 18 + 1 (Double Stack) a true 1911, single action nice trigger.

But will it fit in the box?

Yep
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby IDPA Shooter on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:21 am

rucker wrote:
someone1980 wrote:I have several XDs that have in excise of 30-60k rounds through them without cleaning.

I don't mean to derail the thread but I been curious about this. What, if anything, do you do to the guns?

Most of us gamers er serious competitors will have some of our the guns worked on, generally an action job involving lowering the trigger pull and the triggers reset. It's pretty easy to ask around as to who is good for a particular model.

I and lots of other action shooters generally use John Podergois, who is local. John is a friend who is great at revolvers and very good with pistols. After 30 years with S&W ( LEO sales in the Midwest), which came after the USMC and stint as a LEO, he is reasonable, relatively fast and works on all brands. He's done action work on both my M&P's triggers from 6.5 to 5.25lbs, cut the reset in half and take the slack out of the take up to make for a smooth pull. $ 50 and I had the guns back in less than 10 days.

I did send my XD down to Canyon Creek ( John was not doing XD's then) in Illinois for an action and trigger job. It was gone a month + , and cost $150 with shipping. As was mentioned slide tightening, Bar Sto barells, new springs, extended mag and slide releases and new sights are also common changes.

Having said that our club's IDPA 5 gun Master (fewer than 10 in the world) made Master in SSP and ESP with his Glock 17 and Glock 21 in CDP. Yeah he made CDP Master with the $2,000 Wilson CQB, but went back and shot it with the Glock to show he could. Kinda like David Sevigny, when he took down Robbie Leatham's Springfield 1911 with his pretty much box stock G35 for the USPSA Limited in 2006. Yeah, I know he lost Production to Robbie shooting an XD this year:

David's Championship Highlights

SCSA National Steel Master Champion

USPSA Limited National Champion

Winchester World Challenge Champion

IDPA Stock National Champion

USPSA Production National Champion

USPSA Limited-10 National Champion

SCSA IDPA World Champion

IPSC Production Pan-Am Champion

Bottom line is if equipment really helped that much, I and a lot of others would have higher classifications. Starting box stock with a reliable combat pistol and decent factory ammo will serve you well in IDPA. Tweaks can and will come, but you don't need that to get started.
Bob Jahn NRA CRSO, IDPA 5 Gunner
USCCA Certified Training Counselor
NRA Pistol, Rifle and Shotgun, Advanced Pistol Instructor
Massad Ayoob Group Instructor
Defense Training Intl (John Farnam) Instructor

http://www.rejfirearmstraining.com
IDPA Shooter

Postby someone1980 on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:47 am

IDPA Shooter wrote:Bottom line is if equipment really helped that much, I and a lot of others would have higher classifications.

Yes. The key is to practice. All of the other things are just nice to haves. If you don't practice, they won't help you one bit.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby Pinnacle on Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:51 am

All of the handgun in the world will not make up for poor execution. A G35 is hard to beat

A 9mm 1911 would be a heck of a place to start I would think for someone that would be interested in a lot of fun and a gun that would really help "Game-It" for you a little.

Seems to me that a 9mm 1911 would be a heck of a lot of fun if you like a 1911 and not necessarily love to shoot 45 cal.

When I can afford one - I will buy one.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Postby IDPA Shooter on Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:05 am

someone1980 wrote:
IDPA Shooter wrote:Bottom line is if equipment really helped that much, I and a lot of others would have higher classifications.

Yes. The key is to practice. All of the other things are just nice to haves. If you don't practice, they won't help you one bit.

Young eyes, good reflexes, speed and flexibility kinda help too. I lack all the above, but it is still a lot of fun, even if I have no hope of kicking your butt in match!

IDPA Shooter

Postby Keith on Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:30 am

Like Bob said, there's not much to do to a Glock to compete with them right out of the box. (or XD's or M&P's) Most people will change the sights right away, though. But, the chances are the sights that are on your gun right now will work for IDPA. Personally, I have gone away from the fiber optic sights and run either plain old black sights or night sights. I ran a plain black rear sight with fiber optic on the front sight only and I came to the conclusion early this year that, for me, fiber optics are too distracting. They can be really nice close up but if I had to shoot past 15 yards I just couldn't get a nice crisp sight picture. Instead, all I would see is a red blob on the target. Now I don't miss the fiber optics one bit. I do like the Heinie sights on my Glocks. I have the plain black ones on several competition Glocks and the night sight version on the others.

I've installed at least a dozen of these triggers for local Glock competitors.
http://triggerkit.com/main.sc
For $65 you get a pretty good competition only trigger that is easy to install if you know how. My best one hovers right around 2.75 pounds and he uses all Glock parts except for the trigger return spring and the striker spring. With that aftermarket striker spring in there some shooters have reported occasional light hits. (Usually a dirty, oily striker channel is involved, too) Federal ammo and primers work 100%. I ran hundreds and hundreds of Winchester and Blaser through mine without any problems, though.

I did "improve" the slide to frame fit on my Glock 35 that I use for USPSA competition. But all I got was a Glock 35 that is harder to take apart and put back together. :roll: Still, it was kind of fun to take a ball peen hammer to a perfectly good gun.

Oh. And Bob?
I don't think I ever did make master with the Glock 21. I came within seconds I know but don't think I ever made it that day. I did do it with the Glock 37, in .45 GAP but we all know that's not a real .45. ;) Yes. My flame suit is on.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby macphisto on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:04 am

With the Hutchinson steel shoots done until next Spring, I'm ready to get into IDPA. I'll be coming down to Bill's on Sunday and checking things out; shooting if they'll let me.

I've got a 5" 1911 in .45 and a 3" XD in 9mm. I think I've already made up my mind as to which one I'd prefer to use, but would like to hear your thoughts.
macphisto

Postby someone1980 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 7:25 am

macphisto wrote:With the Hutchinson steel shoots done until next Spring, I'm ready to get into IDPA. I'll be coming down to Bill's on Sunday and checking things out; shooting if they'll let me.

I've got a 5" 1911 in .45 and a 3" XD in 9mm. I think I've already made up my mind as to which one I'd prefer to use, but would like to hear your thoughts.

email Bob. It sounds like things are getting crowded for this Sunday.

There are lots of reasons that you could shoot one over the other.
Which do you carry?
Is expense a concern?
If you practice with the default long and mushy trigger on the XD, AND the short sight radius, you will be challenged. And they can't make very long distance CoFs indoors.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby jac714 on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:08 am

macphisto wrote:With the Hutchinson steel shoots done until next Spring, I'm ready to get into IDPA. I'll be coming down to Bill's on Sunday and checking things out; shooting if they'll let me.

We are pretty much full for shooters on Sunday, We try to limit it to 40 shooters inside and we were at 36 on Thursday. Send Bob an e-mail and see what he has to say.
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby macphisto on Sat Dec 08, 2007 8:10 am

I'm fine with just watching and getting a feel for things. Thanks for the info, guys.
macphisto

Update on Sunday's 12/9 IDPA Match

Postby IDPA Shooter on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:06 am

macphisto wrote:I'm fine with just watching and getting a feel for things. Thanks for the info, guys.
Since it is you, I'll make an exception, but we still want you to register at http://twincitiesidpa.com/IDPA%20Web%20 ... ration.htm and Jeff can be your mentor

From today's e mail, We are the only action shooting club in the winter and need to welcome new members while controlling the range and maintaining safety standards. There is no charge to watch, just need to sign our waiver and Bill's to be on the range and follow all range commands

We have 39 shooters registered for this match, 7 of whom are new shooters, and 4 of these are new shooters who are just watching. Last match we had 10 shooters who had not registered show up to take part in the match. Therefore the range is now CLOSED to any new shooters who have not already contacted me or non club members wanting to shoot. We will always make room for our members, but we really need you to pre register so we can adjust our plans and the Courses of Fire accordingly.

We will have at least 20 on each squad and have set up a mentor process for the 7 new shooters where an experienced SO will be assigned and squad with them to make their 1st IDPA experience safe and enjoyable. It is MANDATORY that all new shooters be on the range by 4:30 to register and attend the new shooter briefing that starts at 4:45pm. The rest of the shooters please try to arrive early so we can process your registrations and get you on the range quickly. Persons who preregistered by Friday and arrive or are in line by 4:45pm Sunday are eligible for our refund your entry fee drawing.

Our Courses of Fire are always posted in advance on our Yahoo Forum at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/twincitiesidpa/ Please take a minute and join the Forum now. I've also scanned in an IDPA rules overview http://twincitiesidpa.com/IDPA%20Rules%20Summary.pdf that new folks will find helpful (take a minute , print the 2 pages, and stick it in your range bag), assuming they have not read or memorized our 82 page RuleBook at Http://idpa.com/Documents/IDPARuleBook2005.pdf

IDPA Shooter

Postby cobb on Sat Dec 08, 2007 10:13 am

So should I register even if I am just coming to watch? I thought maybe yes and then if I can make it some time this winter, I would be registered and would just have to let you know, that is if there are any openings.
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs