Pine vs MG&F single stack, april 24th, which is better?

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Pine vs MG&F single stack, april 24th, which is better?

Postby Snowgun on Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:32 pm

So, My brother is coming up this next week, along with my dad, and I'd like to take them to a shoot.

On april 24th there are two single stack contests, and I've never been to either of them, and on top of that i've never been to either range. ( I shoot IDPA and my bro shoots USPSA, but we've never shot each others sport).

Anyway, which one should I go to? I think they are both kinda a show up and shoot deal, but correct me if i'm wrong, I didn't find a ton of info on their sites.

I live in Eden Prairie, so distance is probably a horse a piece.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Re: Pine vs MG&F single stack, april 24th, which is better?

Postby Keith on Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:05 am

You are correct. Just show up and shoot.

I don't know which one will be better for you. In the past MTKA has kind of made up their own rules as they go for scoring their SS match but this year Ken says it will be by USPSA rule guidelines and scoring. They both look to be about the same round count. Pine Island's is $20 with lunch afterwards where MTKA is $25 with no lunch but there will be trophys for their match, if any of that matters.

More info here (if you haven't already seen it).... http://www.mnuspsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1146

and here.... http://www.mnuspsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=1149

I have a friend coming up from Arkansas that is shooting the MTKA match so I will probably do that one if work allows. Plus it's closer to home for me. Just don't know if I should shoot SS or the wheelgun. :hmm:
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby mmcnx2 on Fri Apr 16, 2010 7:15 am

I've shot both and here is my take:

1. MTKA is a little more gung ho(not a bad thing but guys tend to be a little more competitive), Pine a little more casual easy going.

2. Pine is dryer if there has been wet weather. I have swam the MTKA range twice.

Just my observations from the times I've shot, other peoples experiences may be different.
mmcnx2

Postby Bessy on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:27 am

I've found the matches at Pine to be better put together. The courses of fire, to be more interesting and varied. The people to be as another poster mentioned more laid back (not from a safety standpoint of course, just competition wise).

I believe the the Pine island match will be better attended. MTGF made quite a few folks mad when they booted mapsa out, which has so far driven Pine island matches attendance up. I know the pine island folks didn't mean to schedule the matches on the same day as MTGF, it just worked out that way.

As with anything there is always some sort of underlying drama/politics. Honestly you are going to get a great experience at either match.
In Soviet Russia program executes you!
Bessy

Postby westberg on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:33 am

I have not shot at Pine Island yet and would like to this year. MKTA does have some serious shooters, but from what I have seen they try to squad together because it's competition among friends. I have been on squads that are pretty laid back. As already been mentioned I don't think you will make a bad choice, just flip a coin.
westberg

Postby Bessy on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:35 am

westberg wrote:I have not shot at Pine Island yet and would like to this year. MKTA does have some serious shooters, but from what I have seen they try to squad together because it's competition among friends. I have been on squads that are pretty laid back. As already been mentioned I don't think you will make a bad choice, just flip a coin.

If westberg is coming to pine island, Go to MKTA if he's going to MKTA goto pine island. Whatever you do make sure to use mec-gar magazines for single stack. ;)
Bessy

Postby westberg on Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:52 am

Bessy wrote:
westberg wrote:I have not shot at Pine Island yet and would like to this year. MKTA does have some serious shooters, but from what I have seen they try to squad together because it's competition among friends. I have been on squads that are pretty laid back. As already been mentioned I don't think you will make a bad choice, just flip a coin.

If westberg is coming to pine island, Go to MKTA if he's going to MKTA goto pine island. Whatever you do make sure to use mec-gar magazines for single stack. ;)

Don't worry I won't be at either, I have some tables at the Zombie Shoot. Polish up those Wilson mags, people expect it because your using the best.
westberg

Postby Keith on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:04 am

It's amazing how your shooting experience changes with who you may be squadded with. It can be a night and day difference. I have a small (very small) list of people I try to avoid being squadded with if possible.

So far I've only shot one match down at Pine Island and that was Brad's match. Great club, people, stages, and food.
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby westberg on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:16 am

http://www.mnuspsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1146

Hi Everybody,
Man is it going to be a busy weekend in MN on April 24 & 25. 2 Single Stacks on the same day and a MAPSA match the next. I talked to Harmon today to try and avoid these conflicts in the future. A little guidance and input from the SC would be helpful. Who knows may be next year we can have a whole weekend of Single Stack. The match in PIne Island will probably be a good one I wish that i could be at both but you cannot be 2 places at once. Oh well.
The match at MG&F will use USPSA Rules guide lines and scoring. Also this is a trophy match so the First 3 finishers will receive a Wilson mag engraved with their names plus addition mags will be distributed by USPSA classification and involvement in that class. The match itself will have 5 courses of fire 3 field courses and 2 stand and shoots with a round count of about 130 rnds. Cost is set at $25. Setup will begin at 8 AM so we can start shooting by 10 AM. We will have rolls coffee (if I can find someone to stay at the clubhouse and make it) and sodas for refreshments. The revolver will also follow USPSA rules and there has been some interest in Open revolver so we would create a division for that. Hope to see you there.
Thanks,
Ken Rex

The above is from the Match Director. Bessy check out the prizes. :lol: :lol: :lol:
westberg

Postby Bessy on Fri Apr 16, 2010 9:21 am

westberg wrote:http://www.mnuspsa.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=1146

Hi Everybody,
Man is it going to be a busy weekend in MN on April 24 & 25. 2 Single Stacks on the same day and a MAPSA match the next. I talked to Harmon today to try and avoid these conflicts in the future. A little guidance and input from the SC would be helpful. Who knows may be next year we can have a whole weekend of Single Stack. The match in PIne Island will probably be a good one I wish that i could be at both but you cannot be 2 places at once. Oh well.
The match at MG&F will use USPSA Rules guide lines and scoring. Also this is a trophy match so the First 3 finishers will receive a Wilson mag engraved with their names plus addition mags will be distributed by USPSA classification and involvement in that class. The match itself will have 5 courses of fire 3 field courses and 2 stand and shoots with a round count of about 130 rnds. Cost is set at $25. Setup will begin at 8 AM so we can start shooting by 10 AM. We will have rolls coffee (if I can find someone to stay at the clubhouse and make it) and sodas for refreshments. The revolver will also follow USPSA rules and there has been some interest in Open revolver so we would create a division for that. Hope to see you there.
Thanks,
Ken Rex

The above is from the Match Director. Bessy check out the prizes. :lol: :lol: :lol:

You could count on MG&F to peddle that sort of second rate equipment on their prize table... ;)
Bessy

Postby gungal on Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:37 pm

Pine Island had their results up on USPSA.org on Saturday night at 9:00pm. They had 19 shooters.
Minnetonka Game and Fish Club still doesn't have results posted, as of Sunday evening, so we have no idea how many shooters they had and who won.
gungal

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs