Bald Eagle Winter Pistol Leaque

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Bald Eagle Winter Pistol Leaque

Postby Ironbear on Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:15 am

Bald Eagle Sportsman's Association's Winter Pistol League starts this Saturday (1/5/2008) at noon. $20 for non-members, for 10 weeks of shooting. This is outdoors, so come dressed for the weather, and see how your handgun functions when it is cold.

http://www.besamn.com/old/ click on "pistol league" link.

location is here.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: Bald Eagle Winter Pistol Leaque

Postby wrench on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:29 pm

I've been shooting the BESA winter pistol league for 4 years, and it is a hoot! Some folks are pretty serious, most are not, lots of encouragement, lots of laughs.
Tons of fun for $20-I'll be there after (burp) having some effen breakfast tomorrow.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby cobb on Fri Jan 04, 2008 6:40 pm

Is it OK to pay the $20 and just come up and shoot a few matches, just to shoot?
“Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result”. - Winston Churchill

RIVER VALLEY TRAINING
MN. DPS/BCA approved training organization.

http://www.RiverValleyTraining.com
cobb

Postby Ironbear on Sat Jan 05, 2008 3:43 pm

cobb wrote:Is it OK to pay the $20 and just come up and shoot a few matches, just to shoot?
The $20 for ten weeks, is a pretty good deal. :D

It is pretty informal. You don't even have to be there at 12 o'clock. They just cycle people through until they stop coming (usually by 1330-1400). As far as paying your twenty and not showing up for all the match days... I don't think they care much. The score sheets often show people who have only made it to half the match days. It is supposed to be fun. People can shoot ahead, or catch up; so there tends to be more of a crowd there on nice days......

You can shoot pretty much what you want. Your scores are categorized by caliber with .38/.357, 9mm, .40, .45 and .22 being typical. If you brought a .25 ACP, you could probably have your own category! You are further split up by iron or optical sights. There is another check box for personal defense pistols (barrel shorter than 3"), but I haven't seen anyone do that. I think you get a bigger target at the 50 yard line for that.

I'm not a member there, but I think this about the 4th or 5th winter I've shot the league. Good fun but dress warm.
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:42 pm

This sounds cool (ha ha), I'd have gone today except I already blew my allowance. But it's on my calendar for the next 9 Saturdays. Hope I can hit stuff at those long ranges!
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat Cannon on Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:58 pm

Looks like I have twenty buck and some ammo, so I think I'm gonna check this out tomorrow (1/12). Wrench or Ironbear, how many rounds will I need? Anybody else going?
Pat Cannon

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:13 pm

Well, crap. Got caught up in household emergencies this morning. Next week!
Pat Cannon

Postby westberg on Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:25 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Looks like I have twenty buck and some ammo,

Pat Cannon wrote:Well, crap. Got caught up in household emergencies this morning. Next week!

Does that mean you will have $40 next week :?: Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket or you could turn it into ones and head to the strip club like the Maplewood guy....... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Ron
westberg

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:15 pm

westberg wrote:

Pat Cannon wrote:Well, crap. Got caught up in household emergencies this morning. Next week!

Does that mean you will have $40 next week :?: Don't let it burn a hole in your pocket or you could turn it into ones and head to the strip club like the Maplewood guy....... :shock: :lol: :lol:

Ron
My kids are old enough to bust themselves out of the car, but just to be on the safe side I got rid of the money at the liquor store.
Pat Cannon

Postby Rem700 on Sat Jan 12, 2008 2:30 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:
westberg wrote:

Ron
My kids are old enough to bust themselves out of the car, but just to be on the safe side I got rid of the money at the liquor store.

Does that mean your gonna have a new avatar ;)
“The man who reads nothing at all is better educated than the man who reads nothing but newspapers.”
Thomas Jefferson

If your not behind our troops please stand infront of them.
Rem700

Postby wrench on Sat Jan 12, 2008 5:19 pm

Sorry to hear you didn't make it. I am there every Saturday barring disaster ;) You'll need 48r of ammo to shoot the course-12r at 50y, benched, 18r at 25y, 12r at 50', 6r at 21'. Lots of fun, liberally mixed with good natured ribbing.
I shot a great 50y string today, to completely fall apart on the short strings, trouble with reloads. Darnit.
People often shoot ahead, or shoot twice or more to make up weeks if you miss a Saturday.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby Ironbear on Sun Jan 13, 2008 9:52 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Looks like I have twenty buck and some ammo, so I think I'm gonna check this out tomorrow (1/12). Wrench or Ironbear, how many rounds will I need? Anybody else going?

Yep, you'll need 48 rounds. Also highly recommended to have at least three magazines or two speed loaders. There is one stage where two reloads are required.
Ironbear

Postby Pat Cannon on Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:55 am

Cool. How late in the afternoon does it usually go?
Pat Cannon

Postby Ironbear on Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:45 pm

Pat Cannon wrote:Cool. How late in the afternoon does it usually go?
It kind of depends. They stop when they run out of people. You should be safe if you get there by 1:30pm. Sometimes they are still going past 2:30-3:00 (no promises). Since people can shoot ahead, or catch up if they are behind, there is a tendency for the crowd to get bigger on nice warm days, and as the end of the season looms near. They cycle about 4 people at a time through the 50 yard range and 3 at a time through the 25 yard range, and you can start on either range. A cycle takes about 15 minutes depending on the level of BS'ing going on, but you can prod the RO to keep things moving if you want. :D
Ironbear

Postby Pat Cannon on Sat Jan 19, 2008 6:11 pm

Hey, that was fun! My score was awful but it was cold as hell so I have a good excuse; what more could you want?
Pat Cannon

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs