I'm running for OGC Director of Safety and Security

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby bstrawse on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:45 pm

As I've commented in the two recent OGC related threads, I am running for Director, Safety & Security for the next board term at the Oakdale Gun Club.

I want to briefly just share a few things about myself and what I envision if I am elected.

I've worked for Target corporation for a bit under twenty years, all of it within our security team. Currently, I lead our Global Crisis Management Team where I am responsible for all aspects of preparedness, emergency response, business continuity, and crisis management globally for Target's 365,000 employees and our more than 2100 facilities. Outside of Target, I am a member of the Board of Director and Chairman of the Private Sector Committee for the National Emergency Management Association (NEMA), the organization that sets best practices and policies for emergency management at the state level in the United States. NEMA's board oversees a multi-million dollar budget and large national programs like the Emergency Management Assistance Compact.

In previous roles at Target, I've lead teams that have designed, built, and maintained security systems such as video surveillance, IP video networked, PCI-Compliant point of sale systems, and access control/management systems. Target has one of the world' largest networked video installations, so you can get an idea of the sort of work I've been involved with in the past....

You can read more about me over at LinkedIn.

From a firearms perspective, I am a NRA Certified Instructor (with nearly every discipline covered), a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer, and a MADFI certified Permit to Carry Instructor. I've also served the last two years as a Lead Range Officer for my service hours at Oakdale.

I believe strongly that the Director of Safety & Security position at OGC should be filled by an individual who is a NRA Chief Range Safety Officer and one that has experience in security systems design & implementation. NRA CRSOs are educated and certified on range design, courses of fire, and the safe operation of the range - all of which are responsibilities of the Director of Safety & Security at OGC. In addition, my security systems background and business education, previous experiences, and non-profit board experience would be valuable assets in this position.

I believe strongly in the potential that Oakdale Gun Club has as a great private club and occasional public facility for the shooting sports. I’d like to be a part of a board of directors that brings our members together, operates transparently and with integrity, and collaboratively makes decisions for the betterment of our club.

I've attached my nomination form to this post so that members can see exactly what I submitted.

I don't at all know my opponent in this election. I'm sure he is an honorable man who has the best interests of the club in mind - and I wish him well no matter the outcome of the election next weekend.

What I do know is that I've seen communication alleging that some of us that have been opposed to the current board's agenda may have a secret agenda such as closing & selling the club, converting it to a sporting clays only facility, or some other nefarious agenda. I can assure you none of those are things I want to see happen and would never support. Nor will you ever see me engage in the sort of behavior and communication I've seen in some of the e-mails being batted about.

Thanks,
Bryan
Attachments
2012-2013 Board Application - Bryan Strawser.pdf
(65.3 KB) Downloaded 146 times
Last edited by bstrawse on Wed Apr 23, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Re: I'm running for OGC Director of Safety and Security

Postby ttousi on Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:24 pm

well said.

You have my support and vote
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby bstrawse on Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:27 pm

ttousi wrote:well said.

You have my support and vote

Thanks Tom. I appreciate your support!
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby sawgrass on Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:50 pm

Thanks for posting this.

Doesn't it seem like the club's website should be a place for such information before an election?

You have my support.
NRA Life Member
GOCRA Member
sawgrass

Postby rugersol on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:14 am

bstrawse wrote:What I do know is that I've seen communication alleging ...

I was wondering about this, this morning ... I can only guess (as it was not sent to me) the email Tim received, was received by more than a few other members?!

I was a member, years ago ... I came back this year ... and so I'm a "first year" member ... so maybe I didn't get the email, 'cause I can't vote?!

Anyhow, I'm very curious as to exactly who received this email?!

Specifically, I've noted some changes at OGC, since I was last a member ... not the least of which, an apparent requirement to have an email address?! (at the very least, it looks to be purdy damned difficult to be a member, anymore, without one)

I don't wanna accuse anyone of anything ... but someone has clearly sent an email! ... and likely to more than one guy! ... and not necessarily to every member!

Now, if I had been the one to set up the OGC website ... to collect names and email addresses ... and years of membership ... and registration fer the annual meeting ... if someone were to come to me, and ask that I provide a list of email addresses fer thems who're members more than 1yr 'er 2yr ... or better yet, addresses fer only thems who're registered fer the annual meeting ... as well as 2yr+ members ... (presumably, the only folks who're gonna vote) ... I could do that in about 20 seconds!

Now, if someone were to do that ... for the purposes of electing certain folks ... and NOT other folks ... well ... at the very least, it makes it purdy damned difficult to ever vote out anyone who has control over that list ... would it not?!

If yer elected ... how would ya go about determining if such a thing might've occurred?! ... and what would ya do, to prevent it from happening, again?! Or would this not necessarily be a security concern?! If it is, what might the consequences be, fer the "sender" ... presuming he can be positively identified?!

At the very least, is it not reasonable that folks, running fer them positions ... not on the "preferred" slate ... get access to the same list of email addresses ... so they can rebut the accusations, made?!

Thanks!
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby plblark on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:20 am

I've always found Bryan to be incredibly straight forward and up front. I think he'd make an excellent director even before considering his resume. I think he'd truly represent the MEMBERS whose club this is. After looking at his resume, Dir of Safety and Security looks like an excellent fit.

From my perspective, it seems the board has gotten out of sync with the membership. It's like the financials being "available" but in a format for on site viewing and at an inconvenient time. I've found that there's often a lot more going on in board decisions than what makes the meeting minutes or even the summaries at the member meetings. It's not tin foil hat sell the club stuff, it's just "Daddy knows best" type behavior. The board is supposed to work for the betterment of the CLUB and to represent the MEMBERS. Not the other way around. There's a lot of power and decision making being taken on without the completely informed consent of the membership.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby bstrawse on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:36 am

rugersol wrote:
bstrawse wrote:What I do know is that I've seen communication alleging ...

I was wondering about this, this morning ... I can only guess (as it was not sent to me) the email Tim received, was received by more than a few other members?!

I did not receive that message and knew nothing of it until Tim posted it... I'm not sure who all received it...
bstrawse

Postby bstrawse on Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:42 am

plblark wrote:I've always found Bryan to be incredibly straight forward and up front. I think he'd make an excellent director even before considering his resume. I think he'd truly represent the MEMBERS whose club this is. After looking at his resume, Dir of Safety and Security looks like an excellent fit.

From my perspective, it seems the board has gotten out of sync with the membership. It's like the financials being "available" but in a format for on site viewing and at an inconvenient time. I've found that there's often a lot more going on in board decisions than what makes the meeting minutes or even the summaries at the member meetings. It's not tin foil hat sell the club stuff, it's just "Daddy knows best" type behavior. The board is supposed to work for the betterment of the CLUB and to represent the MEMBERS. Not the other way around. There's a lot of power and decision making being taken on without the completely informed consent of the membership.

Paul - thank you for the kind words. I agree with your perspective and insights about the recent direction of the board.

I asked multiple times, in writing, for copies of the current financials and the current bylaws - which must be made available to members under MInnesota law. I received the financials after asking twice - but they were from the last fiscal year and would not provide me any other updates except in person. The current secretary never answered my three communications and has yet to send a current copy of the bylaws.

This is the sort of information that should be made easily available online to members - and sent to members upon request. That's some of the sort of transparency that we need.
B
bstrawse

Postby wrench on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:54 am

I'd like to thank everyone who is participating in this discussion in an open, civil, and informative manner. I've been a member at Oakdale for about 8 years or so. I'm unable to attend monthly board or membership meetings because of my work schedule, so I read the minutes in the newsletter, and try to talk to folks that were there to keep up on the goings on.
The meeting on Saturday will be a rip snorter-that's for sure. :hide:
I am registered for the meeting on Saturday, and I did not get the email that Tim posted.

Bryan, I've met you a few times around the club, and you seem like a smart guy who cares about the club. Your resume is impressive, you have my support.
Remember, gun control is not about guns, it's about control.
wrench

Postby bstrawse on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:01 am

wrench wrote:I'd like to thank everyone who is participating in this discussion in an open, civil, and informative manner. I've been a member at Oakdale for about 8 years or so. I'm unable to attend monthly board or membership meetings because of my work schedule, so I read the minutes in the newsletter, and try to talk to folks that were there to keep up on the goings on.
The meeting on Saturday will be a rip snorter-that's for sure. :hide:
I am registered for the meeting on Saturday, and I did not get the email that Tim posted.

Bryan, I've met you a few times around the club, and you seem like a smart guy who cares about the club. Your resume is impressive, you have my support.

Thanks for the kind words - I greatly appreciate your support!
B
bstrawse

Postby xd ED on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:42 am

wrench,
You mention pre-registration;
I assume that is to be included for lunch?

As a first year member, not only am I too ignorant to vote, I would go to the end of the chow line, so I didn't bother to sign up for lunch.

None the less I do intend to be present at the meeting.

As a new, uninformed member, I may have a question or two about some of the rumors circulating on the internet about the club's operation, recent actions, and the people behind them...
I look forward to meeting some of you folks for the first time.
ED
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby bstrawse on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 am

xd ED wrote:wrench,
You mention pre-registration;
I assume that is to be included for lunch?

As a first year member, not only am I too ignorant to vote, I would go to the end of the chow line, so I didn't bother to sign up for lunch.

None the less I do intend to be present at the meeting.

As a new, uninformed member, I may have a question or two about some of the rumors circulating on the internet about the club's operation, recent actions, and the people behind them...
I look forward to meeting some of you folks for the first time.
ED

I have grad school on Saturday so I will probably have to step out after the election is over to get back to class at some point. But would love to say hi.. I don't believe we've met!
b
bstrawse

Postby Greg on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:43 am

You've got my support and vote as well!
Diesel Boats and tube radios forever!
Greg

Postby bstrawse on Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:45 am

Greg wrote:You've got my support and vote as well!

Thank you Greg!
Bryan
bstrawse

Postby SkyRock on Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:59 pm

Since you're running for the Safety and Security board seat, I've got a question.

As the Glock Match Program Director, I've been questioned as to the need, and safety, of having the firing lines for the Glock matches not under cover at the end of the range, but downrange nearer to the berms. (Tim, this would effect the USPSA matches, too.) What are your thoughts, pro and con, about continuing this practice?

Thanks,
Mike
SkyRock

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs