steel shoot rules

Local shooting clubs and leagues

steel shoot rules

Postby Eghead on Sun Jul 06, 2008 12:46 pm

Now that i found places to shoot, where can I find a list of rules and regs? If anybody has any advice on equipment or other neccessities it would be greatly appreciated.
Eghead

Re: steel shoot rules

Postby Jeff Bergquist on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:07 pm

If you're talking about the steel shoot at Hutchinson, They have an orientation for new shooters before the matches. As for necessary equipment, A centerfire handgun, holster, a couple hundred rounds of ammo, and eye and ear protection. Several extra magazines and mag holders are also recommended. Note: July's shoot is for revolver only, so a revolver with holster is necessary and some speed loaders would be helpful.
The bold type giveth, the fine print taketh away.
Jeff Bergquist

Postby Eghead on Sun Jul 06, 2008 2:41 pm

I won't be there for that one. I was just looking for some generalized rules that span all the palces that host the shoots and weapons regulations and the like.
Eghead

Postby Pat Cannon on Sun Jul 06, 2008 5:50 pm

Eghead wrote:I won't be there for that one. I was just looking for some generalized rules that span all the palces that host the shoots and weapons regulations and the like.

Ah, that would be: Listen to what they tell you, read any signs posted, do what they say.

But if you follow the classic Four Rules, you're off to a good start.
Pat Cannon

Postby Eghead on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:32 pm

what about ammo? Lead or jacketed? Anybody ever have any problems using a 9mm and not dropping steel? How about magazine capacity, recomendations? :?:
Eghead

Postby jac714 on Fri Jul 11, 2008 10:47 pm

Eghead wrote:what about ammo? Lead or jacketed? Anybody ever have any problems using a 9mm and not dropping steel? How about magazine capacity, recomendations? :?:

Lead or jacketed, either works.

The 9s occasionally have problems with some of the larger steel targets.

Mag cap, big real big. Seriously, the stages are revolver friendly (if you never miss) so in theory 5 rounds is all you need but many of us tend to use more. :D
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby Pinnacle on Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:24 pm

Eghead wrote:what about ammo? Lead or jacketed? Anybody ever have any problems using a 9mm and not dropping steel? How about magazine capacity, recomendations? :?:

The targets are set to tip steel with 9mm as a baseline. I have shot and won man v man's with a 9mm and have had no problems whereas marginal hits with major calibers still are marginal hits. The basic fact is that you have to score good hits on the poppers with any caliber.

Bring what you have and have a good time and remember - just hit the targets - anything other than good hits is a waste of time.
REMEMBER THE BRAVE 343 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET FDNY

الصليبية كافر
Pinnacle

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs