Burnsville Practical Pistol League brass thief

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Burnsville Practical Pistol League brass thief

Postby matthew.allen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:02 pm

afabbrini wrote:There was a young guy at Bills Hudson last Sunday that was sweeping up the entire floor to his stall every 10 minutes as people were shooting. Never asked anyone. Where do these turds come from?

There was a couple guys at Bill's Robbinsdale doing the same last night; kind of obnoxious.
matthew.allen

Re: Burnsville Practical Pistol League brass thief

Postby river_boater on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:10 pm

matthew.allen wrote:
afabbrini wrote:There was a young guy at Bills Hudson last Sunday that was sweeping up the entire floor to his stall every 10 minutes as people were shooting. Never asked anyone. Where do these turds come from?

There was a couple guys at Bill's Robbinsdale doing the same last night; kind of obnoxious.

If this violates Bill's policy, why didn't you go to the RO's and tell them about it?
river_boater

Postby fabb600 on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:15 pm

I wasn't sure what Bill's exact policy is. I was picking mine up as I went since I could see what he was doing - I think he got a few of my 9mm once or twice when I was not watching. I thought it was pretty lame, but if it's against policy then I'll probably say something to staff next time I see that taking place.
fabb600

Postby matthew.allen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:23 pm

river_boater wrote:
matthew.allen wrote:

If this violates Bill's policy, why didn't you go to the RO's and tell them about it?

Because as long as my safety and the safety of my students is not compromised, I don't police other peoples' ranges. These fellows generally stayed out of my way. On a crowded range, if I reported every violation of policy to the range staff, I'd be spending all my time talking to the range staff and none of my time shooting and/or instructing. Safety issues are the only thing I will involve myself in, otherwise I worry about myself and whatever group I'm with. If a range is paying me to worry about such things, I will, otherwise, I will leave it to the people who are paid to run the range.
matthew.allen

Postby river_boater on Thu Feb 28, 2013 9:47 pm

matthew.allen wrote:Because as long as my safety and the safety of my students is not compromised, I don't police other peoples' ranges. These fellows generally stayed out of my way. On a crowded range, if I reported every violation of policy to the range staff, I'd be spending all my time talking to the range staff and none of my time shooting and/or instructing. Safety issues are the only thing I will involve myself in, otherwise I worry about myself and whatever group I'm with. If a range is paying me to worry about such things, I will, otherwise, I will leave it to the people who are paid to run the range.

Well, you indicated yourself that you found it "obnoxious." If you find it "obnoxious," but aren't willing to do anything about it, you really don't have any grounds to kvetch about it in my opinion.

I agree with you, I would find it obnoxious as well, but I would say something.
river_boater

Postby matthew.allen on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:02 pm

river_boater wrote:
matthew.allen wrote:Because as long as my safety and the safety of my students is not compromised, I don't police other peoples' ranges. These fellows generally stayed out of my way. On a crowded range, if I reported every violation of policy to the range staff, I'd be spending all my time talking to the range staff and none of my time shooting and/or instructing. Safety issues are the only thing I will involve myself in, otherwise I worry about myself and whatever group I'm with. If a range is paying me to worry about such things, I will, otherwise, I will leave it to the people who are paid to run the range.

Well, you indicated yourself that you found it "obnoxious." If you find it "obnoxious," but aren't willing to do anything about it, you really don't have any grounds to kvetch about it in my opinion.

I agree with you, I would find it obnoxious as well, but I would say something.

I also don't call the police every time I see someone commit a driving offense. Should I start? Am I not allowed to make any comments about other people's obnoxious driving unless I also reported them to the proper and responsible authorities?

I'm just surprised to hear that anybody needs to follow specific guidelines to complain about something on the internet. You do of course realize that if people only limited their internet commentary to productive conversation, there would be no use for this or any other forum? We could all just go back to complaining to our friends, relatives and coworkers, since the internet is for serious business only.
matthew.allen

Postby river_boater on Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:08 pm

matthew.allen wrote:I also don't call the police every time I see someone commit a driving offense. Should I start? Am I not allowed to make any comments about other people's obnoxious driving unless I also reported them to the proper and responsible authorities?

I'm just surprised to hear that anybody needs to follow specific guidelines to complain about something on the internet. You do of course realize that if people only limited their internet commentary to productive conversation, there would be no use for this or any other forum? We could all just go back to complaining to our friends, relatives and coworkers, since the internet is for serious business only.

You're right. Complain all you want. I have no dog in this fight.
river_boater

Postby andersonj55126 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:52 pm

Here is a system used by a high volume range in AZ. They see over 100+ shooters at most events so an orderly system really helps.

1. Call the Shooter, On-Deck Shooter, and In-the-Hole Shooter (if you have enough people standing around).
2. Call two or three for Brass.
3. Call two or three for Tape and Setting Steel.

The idea is the first job called (Tape and Steel) places people out near the targets so they can get a look from that angle. The next job (Brass) brings them back to see the stage from the shooters position. Once called On-Deck, they are better prepared to start examining their plans as their turn comes up for shooting. It is simple, easy to remember, and offers the best opportunity for the shooter to look at the entire stage. And yes, those not willing to help should be put at the bottom of the stack.
Last edited by andersonj55126 on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
andersonj55126

Postby plblark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:54 pm

They've had someone calling shooting order and corralling shooters recently and it really helps keep things moving.
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby tizzo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:18 pm

plblark wrote:They've had someone calling shooting order and corralling shooters recently and it really helps keep things moving.

I don't know what was going on last week, but the guy with the score sheets in our squad wouldn't call names until on deck. Very annoying.
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby plblark on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:34 pm

tizzo wrote:
plblark wrote:They've had someone calling shooting order and corralling shooters recently and it really helps keep things moving.

I don't know what was going on last week, but the guy with the score sheets in our squad wouldn't call names until on deck. Very annoying.

A VOLUNTEER emerges!
private or small grou permit classes available
"I'll take a huge order of fiscal responsibility, a side of small government, hold the religion please. " Paraphrase from Tamara K
RIP 1911Fan
plblark

Postby Snowgun on Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:44 pm

andersonj55126 wrote:Here a system used by a high volume range in AZ. They see over 100+ shooters at most events so an orderly system really helps.

1. Call the Shooter, On-Deck Shooter, and In-the-Hole Shooter (if you have enough people standing around).
2. Call two or three for Brass.
3. Call two or three for Tape and Setting Steel.

The idea is the first job called (Tape and Steel) places people out near the targets so they can get a look from that angle. The next job (Brass) brings them back to see the stage from the shooters position. Once called On-Deck, they are better prepared to start examining their plans as their turn comes up for shooting. It is simple, easy to remember, and offers the best opportunity for the shooter to look at the entire stage. And yes, those not willing to help should be put at the bottom of the stack.

+1 billion

I have seen this at tuesday night steel in AZ as well. Very affective.
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby 20mm on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:31 pm

matthew.allen wrote:I also don't call the police every time I see someone commit a driving offense. Should I start? Am I not allowed to make any comments about other people's obnoxious driving unless I also reported them to the proper and responsible authorities?

Yes, it's your duty as a concerned citizen! I generally call 911 to report everyone who passes me going more than the posted speed limit.
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby tizzo on Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:32 pm

plblark wrote:
tizzo wrote:

A VOLUNTEER emerges!

I'm the guy with the camera... But I'd call shooters
Kyle
---------
Tam Recording
tizzo

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:29 am

MrVvrroomm wrote:
Ron Burgundy wrote:What is etiquette for brass pickup? Do you mark your cases prior to start of the game? How about at non-BPR games?

You can mark your brass if you want, personal preference. You pick up someone else's brass, offer it to them. As far as I'm concerned if they don't want it AND it's a caliber you load, keep it.

I was shooting 40 last night. I didn't pick up any, chose not to. I have plenty of 40. I also shoot 38 super. Today's present value of new 38 super brass is 16 cents each. I would appreciate being able to retrieve most of it.

The cost of reloading components has risen dramatically in light of today firearm climate. Brass is much harder to come by today than it was three months ago. The a-hole that scooped up and ran out with everyone else's brass last night is no more than a common thief.

I truly believe in Karma. I hope it was worth it.

Want some 38 Super and 38 Supercomp cases? I have picked these up at Oakdale after everybody has gone, and I have absolutely no use for 38 Super, and don't want it around. All I shoot is 9x23 Winchester. Got maybe 30 - 60 pieces of Brass. I'm quite aware of its cost, and how hard that stuff is to sometimes find...
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs