Video from IDPA WI state match

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Video from IDPA WI state match

Postby someone1980 on Mon Aug 13, 2007 9:09 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Yia-Dz2y3E

It is amazing how months of practice go right out the door when the buzzer goes off. Next year I am going to train harder.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Re: Video from IDPA WI state match

Postby macphisto on Tue Aug 14, 2007 5:24 am

IDPA looks like so much fun! Your shooting seemed pretty good to me. Better than I could do for sure, which isn't saying much. :)
macphisto

Postby Fast351 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:55 am

If you've never tried it you owe it to yourself to come out and shoot one sometime. We have two EXCELLENT clubs in the north metro, so you can shoot every couple of weeks on average. At TCIDPA we're going to run a winter league indoors too, which, while not as much fun, is a good way to at least get a little time behind the trigger.

Like most other groups of gun people, this is a very friendly bunch of like-minded individuals that will want to make you come back for more.

I won't go to say that it's good practice for real life, but it's a good gauge where you are with your skills.
Fast351

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Aug 14, 2007 8:58 am

Yeah, someone, your blunders were not obvious to me either. Looks like that WI match had some cool stages. Those swingers are tough, and those falling turners were fast! They're excellent training — I hate them.

And macphisto, I can't believe anybody who has a self-defense handgun doesn't shoot IDPA. Check it out!

I've shot at:
Minnetonka, which is actually up by Elk River (long story)
Twin Cities (they also shoot indoors in winter, like Fast says)

I usually shoot down in Faribault every Wednesday night May-August. Tomorrow is our last regular match. No web site; Leo, who runs it, hasn't heard about computers yet.

I know there are others, Oakdale at least.
Pat Cannon

Postby Ironbear on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:34 am

Pat Cannon wrote:I know there are others, Oakdale at least.

Oakdale does IPSC (Ok, USPSA :roll: ) not IDPA
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby Pat Cannon on Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:08 am

Ironbear wrote:
Pat Cannon wrote:I know there are others, Oakdale at least.

Oakdale does IPSC (Ok, USPSA :roll: ) not IDPA

I stand corrected. USPSA sounds cool too, but I can't afford that much ammo. :)
Pat Cannon

Postby onebohemian on Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:14 pm

Fast351 wrote:If you've never tried it you owe it to yourself to come out and shoot one sometime. We have two EXCELLENT clubs in the north metro, so you can shoot every couple of weeks on average. . . .

To those of you who had breakfast on my side of the tables this past Saturday in the North Metro, Fast351 is the guy I was telling you about that told me about the IDPA shoot at Beaver Brook this coming weekend. Although I won't be able to make it, I'd bet Fast351 might let one or two of this group stand and watch like I was going to do to get a chance to see what these are all about. Figured I would watch first and than shoot some other future weekend.
Mark

"Edited to remove prohibited content."(2009).

"It turns out that what you have is less important than what you do with it." (In honor of 'Goalie,' 2013).
onebohemian

Postby Fast351 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:08 pm

If you plan on coming out to Beaverbrook, and we don't know you (if any of the regular SOs can vouch for your safety, or you've shot action pistol before, or you're full time LEO/.mil, you're good to go) we ask you watch just to get an idea of what the range commands are, what to expect, etc. Trust me, everyone gets shaky hands the first time you shoot on the timer, no matter how often you shoot pistol. Competition gives you a rush :D

At the end, we usually let the "watchers" shoot a stage or two just so they get a feel for it, and we can observe their gun handling skills. So if you come to watch, bring a holster and a gun, and maybe a couple spare mags in a carrier.

MGFC runs their club differently, and I'm not part of the crew there, so I will let them speak for themselves.

I've gotten a few people hooked over the years tho, fair warning :) ;)
Fast351

Postby TC95GT on Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:54 pm

Fast351 wrote:If you've never tried it you owe it to yourself to come out and shoot one sometime. We have two EXCELLENT clubs in the north metro, so you can shoot every couple of weeks on average. At TCIDPA we're going to run a winter league indoors too, which, while not as much fun, is a good way to at least get a little time behind the trigger.

Like most other groups of gun people, this is a very friendly bunch of like-minded individuals that will want to make you come back for more.

I won't go to say that it's good practice for real life, but it's a good gauge where you are with your skills.

I can vouch for the friendly bunch as well. I shot my first IDPA match at Beaverbrook and it was a blast. The first stage I shot was absolutely nerve racking, but everyone was very cool and made me feel very comfortable. Im definatley hooked. My biggest problem is making the time to make it to get to another match.

Slow is smooth and smooth is fast.
"It is not enough to just obey Big Brother, you must love him, too." 1984 by George Orwell
TC95GT

Postby Aceq2jot on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:05 pm

If you want to try your hand at shooting steel there is Always the Shoot in hutch, where you get to shoot steel and get many pointers from many experienced people :D Plus it is a lot of fun :D
Really i am your worst Nightmare, for i walk the night and the cover of darkness belongs to me :D

You cant make a pile of Dog shat smell like a rose a bunch of Roses, so why try ???
Aceq2jot

Postby someone1980 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 4:51 pm

The match was a blast. The WI people were great. Massad Ayoob was there too. Amazing what one can learn from the pros.

There was a stage with a "house". They would randomize where the good/bad guys were in a set of 6 positions. That was the most fun. I am sorry that I didn't get some walk through video of that stage.

Oh and if you see a Texas Road House and like ribs or rib eye. Take a load off. Spotted Cow beer is pretty good too.
Defend yourself.
Defend your family.
Defend your beliefs.
someone1980

Postby macphisto on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:23 pm

Fast351 wrote:So if you come to watch, bring a holster and a gun, and maybe a couple spare mags in a carrier.

So free ammo is provided to first-timers? ;)
macphisto

Postby jac714 on Tue Aug 14, 2007 6:25 pm

macphisto wrote:
Fast351 wrote:So if you come to watch, bring a holster and a gun, and maybe a couple spare mags in a carrier.

Mac you are getting delusional. Free ammo? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:
"The 1911 was the design given by God to us through John M. Browning that represents the epitome of what a killing tool needs to be. It was true in 1911 and is true now."

IFIA MCPPA Instructor
DNR FAS Instructor
jac714

Postby hammAR on Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:41 pm

It must be that avatar.................... :o

Amazing how similar it is to my target from this afternoon..............

All men are created equal....It's what they do from there that matters!.
hammAR

Postby macphisto on Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:45 pm

jac714 wrote:
macphisto wrote:

Mac you are getting delusional. Free ammo? :o :o :o :shock: :shock: :shock:

Well, it wasn't listed so I was just checking. :P

hammAR wrote:It must be that avatar.................... :o

Amazing how similar it is to my target from this afternoon..............

*Looks around for suitable cover. :shock:
macphisto

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs