The current climate of the shooting sports in MN

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: The current climate of the shooting sports in MN

Postby rugersol on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:24 am

Zerwas wrote:I know what it's like to see 80 shooters at a local, club level match.

I presume he's talkin about OGC ... anyhow, I'd say havin 80 people show up to a weeknight league is a big reason ya wouldn't see it again! ;)
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby TH3180 on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:30 am

rugersol wrote:
Zerwas wrote:I know what it's like to see 80 shooters at a local, club level match.

I presume he's talkin about OGC ... anyhow, I'd say havin 80 people show up to a weeknight league is a big reason ya wouldn't see it again! ;)

We had right around 80 at Burnsville matches last winter.
MrVvrroomm wrote:What time is lunch? I'm having a colonoscopy that morning at 1000. I'm sure I'll be hungry.
TH3180

Postby gunsmith on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:33 am

My experiences at Thursday night @ OGC in the last 2 years have been excellent and I know this is something I want to spend more time doing next year.

I think watching a series of videos of the matches encouraged me to shoot for the first time and making those available should help. I think if you go to YouTube and watch one, others come up as suggestions.

I think "We do a lot of things right in Minnesota" and the Thursday night matches @ OGC is another example of that...it's a really well run facility and it's a lot of fun. Thanks to all the volunteers.

gunsmith

Postby rugersol on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:43 am

here's a few ... http://9x23.net/?show=vid
"as to the Colt's Commander, a pox on you for selling this after I made the house payment." - Pete RIP
"I, for one, welcome our new Moderator Overlords ..." - Squib Joe
rugersol

Postby westberg on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:46 am

gunsmith have you shot any other weeknight leagues at a different range or weekend matches? No questions there are a lot of opportunities if you know about them.
westberg

Postby gunsmith on Sat Aug 31, 2013 8:54 am

westberg wrote:gunsmith have you shot any other weeknight leagues at a different range or weekend matches? No questions there are a lot of opportunities if you know about them.

I've been to Burnsville winter league, also very well run...love the fresh air on a summer night at OGC. Burnsville is so popular that there's a lot of waiting, OGC on Thursday has a quicker pace.
gunsmith

Postby westberg on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:02 am

gunsmith wrote:
westberg wrote:gunsmith have you shot any other weeknight leagues at a different range or weekend matches? No questions there are a lot of opportunities if you know about them.

I've been to Burnsville winter league, also very well run...love the fresh air on a summer night at OGC. Burnsville is so popular that there's a lot of waiting, OGC on Thursday has a quicker pace.

Not trying to put you on the spot but why don't you shoot matches at other ranges in the summer. I'm interested in knowing why people stay at just one range.
westberg

Postby gunsmith on Sat Aug 31, 2013 9:24 am

westberg wrote:
gunsmith wrote:

Not trying to put you on the spot but why don't you shoot matches at other ranges in the summer. I'm interested in knowing why people stay at just one range.

That's easy. Oakdale is close, haven't mastered what's there yet...it will be a couple of years before I am looking for a new challenge. Next year I'll get into setup and takedown (thereby shooting for $5) I'm even working on 'shortcuts' so I'm not bogged down on 94 headed East at Rush Hour. Haven't fully exhausted the potential there yet....everyone there is having a great time, couldn't be better. Even ran into the Minneapolis Police shooting team there, they were getting some extra practice in before a national match.

I did stumble across IDPA winter League at Bill's once and was less thrilled that after one match I needed to join IDPA for the year. So It'll be a couple of years before I've fully explored what's happening at Oakdale. Plus I used to be able to score Ammo at Walmart, Dicks and Gander right at the Keats ave exit.
gunsmith

Postby Snowgun on Sat Aug 31, 2013 10:05 am

Gunsmith,

Again, just questions along westburg's line:

Are you aware of the matches that happen around the metro on the weekends? (Less traffic)

I hear you about the IDPA membership rules, but did you know about their larger and more interesting matches at beaverbrook (as well as matches at MG&f) in the summer? (Btw, the winter idpa matches are at metro gun club now)

What westberg is trying to suss out is the level of awareness regarding other matches, and you are a perfect sample. The feeling is with more knowledge about what is available and when, someone like you might find other matches that work with your schedule/roundcount/skill level/etc. :)
Victory is reserved for those who are willing to pay its price. - Sun Tzu

The Way is in training... Do nothing which is not of value. - Miyamato Musashi

One who knows the Self puts death to death. - Upanishads
Snowgun
Events Coordinator

Postby highwarden on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:44 am

[quote="Snowgun"]Your comments are kind of peculiar in relationship to the definition of competition....but let me take a crack at this and maybe help find what you are looking for:

!. too much ammunition required

What is your ammo expenditure expectations? 10 rounds? 50? Uspsa runs about 120 for league, idpa about 60-80. I cant think of a conpetition that people would bother attending under 40 rounds.

For me for a weekly league depending on the type of competition anywhere from 20 to 50. For example:

Silhouette match - 20 rounds
Rifle bullseye match, 1 position - 20 rounds, or 3 position - 30 rounds
Pistol bullseye match- National match course - 30 rounds
Gssf style match, Steel challenge match, Defensive pistol style match - 50 rounds
Precision rifle steel - 20 rounds
Shotgun 25 rounds

For weekend events multiply by 3,4,5 as time and variations allow.

If you want people to come back it has to be fun and affordable. Stop getting all pissy if some only signs up for a few matches instead of the whole program.
highwarden

Postby gunsmith on Sat Aug 31, 2013 11:57 am

Are you aware of the matches that happen around the metro on the weekends? (Less traffic)

I shoot weddings on Saturdays...and when I don't 8:00 shooting time means I'm up at 5:00....not gonna happen :)
Thursday Eves is ideal.

So much is done on the internet now (can't remember last time I put a stamp on an envelope with a check inside to pay a bill).

A really informative Website / YouTube Channel / Blog / Facebook page is what I would make decisions from.

A weekly updated blog would be perfect...100 words and some pix or an embedded Cellphone / GoPro vid.

Wordpress blogs are FREE. no fees whatsoever. no webmaster. I have a couple, one for Bike LIghts, one for my business, one for my neighborhood. Blogger (google) has them too.

If you have a more 'Static' website adding a Blog will be easy and is the type of thing someone would visit weekly or whatever before they took the leap to actually get boots on the ground at the gun range.... In my case seeing a dozen videos of what the shooting was like at Oakdale sealed the deal for me to make my first appearance....there is something about seeing a casual video that helps you 'get it' / get the big picture on what is happening.

My 2 cents would be a free blog updated weekly with interesting graphics / vids would be your best way to engage those who are on the fence about taking the plunge to their first shooting experience.

Good Luck.
gunsmith

Postby PRS on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:24 pm

highwarden wrote:
Snowgun wrote:Your comments are kind of peculiar in relationship to the definition of competition....but let me take a crack at this and maybe help find what you are looking for:

!. too much ammunition required

What is your ammo expenditure expectations? 10 rounds? 50? Uspsa runs about 120 for league, idpa about 60-80. I cant think of a conpetition that people would bother attending under 40 rounds.

For me for a weekly league depending on the type of competition anywhere from 20 to 50. For example:

Silhouette match - 20 rounds
Rifle bullseye match, 1 position - 20 rounds, or 3 position - 30 rounds
Pistol bullseye match- National match course - 30 rounds
Gssf style match, Steel challenge match, Defensive pistol style match - 50 rounds
Precision rifle steel - 20 rounds
Shotgun 25 rounds

For weekend events multiply by 3,4,5 as time and variations allow.

If you want people to come back it has to be fun and affordable. Stop getting all pissy if some only signs up for a few matches instead of the whole program.

40 rounds?! what kind of sissy old man leagues are those? Every bullseye Match i've shot is 60rnds. ATA trap is 100 per event. Action shooting is about pushing shooter and gear to the limit and 40 rnds isn't the limit. Time, Traffic, Gear, Scheduling and awareness are the biggest barriers for new shooters, along with people being scared to learn they don't know everything.
PRS

Postby whiteox on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:34 pm

Seems like this is the perfect opportunity for a market-based solution.

Start a website devoted to mn shooting sports, whether trap, skeet, 3-gun, high power, idpa, USPSA, etc. start publishing a calendar of matches, results from said matches, video and photos of the matches, and links to the clubs where the matches are being held.

Put fliers with the website up at any gun shop that will allow it as well as places like Fleet, Gander, etc.

Sell ads to Google and local gun retailers and ?? PROFIT.

I am aware of the other matches around the area but the timing doesn't work for me most of the time. loved shooting USPSA at Oakdale but the time commitment is tough. I'd have to leave work 2 hours early and then I'm gone for almost the entire night. With two young kids and a spouse with a job as well it's tough to carve out 5-6 hours a week to go shoot a match. Going to matches in weekends is tough as well because they are usually full day events by the time you factor in driving.

The time cost to me is a much bigger factor than out of pocket costs. If I could scoot into a match at 5:30, shoot 4 stages and be done in two hours I'd do so much more frequently and be willing to pay more to do it. Unfortunately I haven't found that kind of match anywhere.
whiteox

Postby whiteox on Sat Aug 31, 2013 12:51 pm

Perfect example of what NOT to do right here.

https://mnshootingsports.org/#2756

This is the place I'd expect to find a calendar of matches. Instead there's two events listed and about 20-30 posts about gun politics.

This site doesn't have the info I am looking for and if I was new to guns, it just reinforces the notion that if I went to one of these events I'd be surrounded by OFWDs spouting NRA crap. Not exactly the way to draw in noobs. ( And This is coming from an OFWD NRA member).
whiteox

Postby jspace on Sat Aug 31, 2013 1:34 pm

I vomited a little when I saw that website.
Horrid design. I love the super aliased logo too.
Reminds me of this.

Since I'm here I should offer my wooden nickel.
Time commitments and scheduling conflicts (both w/ personal stuff and other events) are a major factor, I would think.
jspace

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs