OGC Questions

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: OGC Questions

Postby bstrawse on Wed Sep 25, 2013 10:38 pm

whiteox wrote:And without SAF, Heller and McDonald would likely never have happened. I don't know what the story was on why Gottlieb got on board with Manchin-Toomey but it failed. On balance, for me, having the Supreme Court say, UNANIMOUSLY, that we have an individual right to keep and bear arms outweighs his crackpot Manchin-Toomey background checks bill.

Unanimously? When did this happen?
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby jgalt on Thu Sep 26, 2013 12:00 am

bstrawse wrote:
whiteox wrote:And without SAF, Heller and McDonald would likely never have happened. I don't know what the story was on why Gottlieb got on board with Manchin-Toomey but it failed. On balance, for me, having the Supreme Court say, UNANIMOUSLY, that we have an individual right to keep and bear arms outweighs his crackpot Manchin-Toomey background checks bill.

Unanimously? When did this happen?
b

Let’s start with some basic legal facts. In Heller, the five-justice majority led by Justice Antonin Scalia followed what is called the “standard model” of the Second Amendment—namely that the Second Amendment protects the right of all law-abiding persons to own, use and carry firearms for all legitimate purposes, especially for self-defense.

The four dissenting justices in Heller, led by Justice John Paul Stevens, instead preferred what is called the “narrow individual right.” Under this theory, individuals have Second Amendment rights, but only in connection with service in a well-regulated militia.

The Heller dissenters did not elucidate the scope of the right, except that it did not include owning a handgun for personal self-defense.

According to Justice Stevens, “The question presented by this case is not whether the Second Amendment protects a ‘collective right’ or an ‘individual right.’ Surely it protects a right that can be enforced by individuals.”

Basically, all 9 say the 2A protects an individual right, but the 4 dissenters essentially say that this individual right does not mean what the majority thinks it does.

So, unanimous? Yep, sort of...

source = http://davekopel.org/2A/Mags/Collective-Right.html (though you can find this info in a lot of places...)
jgalt

Postby flanjan on Fri Sep 27, 2013 3:55 pm

For those of you thinking about joining, DO IT. I have saved so much freaking money by not paying $15 every time I go to that dump, Bills. Not to mention as a member, you can shoot steel and other fun stuff. Oh and not to mention that you get to shoot out to 200yds vs 50 at bills. I can't even tell you how many times this year alone, I've gone shooting and been the only one for hours. I'm a new member this year, and am so glad I got in. For the most part members are very welcoming, there's always your sour puss who will have infinite more knowledge than any one else and is gods gift to the shooting sports, but they are easy to ignore. It makes shooting so much more enjoyable.
flanjan

Postby hard h2o on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:34 pm

Just found out I am number 432 on the waiting list for OGC. I hope I make the cut. I sure spent enough on range fees there this summer and fall.
hard h2o

Postby Tubguy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:48 pm

So how did you find out what number you were on the waiting list? I've been asking for quite sometime and I have not got any replies. I signed up on the waiting list late spring 2013 and have not heard anything, even a notification that that they have even received my application.
One of us has to go and I'm staying
Tubguy

Postby bstrawse on Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:54 pm

Tubguy wrote:So how did you find out what number you were on the waiting list? I've been asking for quite sometime and I have not got any replies. I signed up on the waiting list late spring 2013 and have not heard anything, even a notification that that they have even received my application.

E-mail the Secretary at secretary@oakdalegunclub.org - Duane should be able to tell you.

B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Tubguy on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:27 pm

Thanks
I sent off an email
Tubguy

Postby Tubguy on Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:45 pm

sent off email and haven't heard anything yet ;)
Tubguy

Postby hal on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:26 am

I sent an e:mail and received a response.....519, so I am not optimistic. I only went on the waiting list in September, 2013.
hal

Postby Tubguy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm not sure why I can't find out....oh well
Tubguy

Postby cgrant26 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:19 am

I put mine in last year around Dec and just got the invitation last week. Looking forward to being a member. :mrgreen:
cgrant26

Postby xd9 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 8:38 am

Congrats. You probably got my spot. I had to drop out :-( Maybe again in a few years.
xd9

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 9:47 am

xd9 wrote:Congrats. You probably got my spot. I had to drop out :-( Maybe again in a few years.

Sadly I am probably moving to the West Metro and if that happens I will drop my membership at the end of this year...
Mn01r6

Postby bstrawse on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:31 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:
xd9 wrote:Congrats. You probably got my spot. I had to drop out :-( Maybe again in a few years.

Sadly I am probably moving to the West Metro and if that happens I will drop my membership at the end of this year...

welcome to my side of town!
b
bstrawse

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Jan 28, 2014 7:34 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Mn01r6 wrote:

welcome to my side of town!
b

Hey hey. I will be working really close if you are officed at the new 610 campus too!
Mn01r6

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs