OGC Questions

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: OGC Questions

Postby BigDog58 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:50 am

Rodentman wrote:I am confirmed for the class on 23-Feb! Now I have to retire so I'll have time to shoot more!!

I had to move mine to the one on Sunday in March (can't get to calendar to get exact date. I am looking forward to joining. I just hope they will work with me on my volunteer duties. I can't work a full 9 hr day because of my disabilities and will need to split up my service time into 4 4.5hr days or something along those lines. I look forward to helping.
NRA RSO
"Never anger a man that can end you, from another zip code

If necessary to fight, I will Fight like I'm the 3rd Monkey on the ramp to Noah's Arc, and brother, it's starting to rain.
BigDog58

Postby Rodentman on Fri Feb 07, 2014 5:23 pm

I'm sort of in the same boat with the disability factor. I'm sure they'll work with us. Guess if I have a place to sit I'd be OK.
Rodentman

Postby cgrant26 on Mon Feb 10, 2014 10:15 pm

The orientation last Sat. looked pretty full. I saw they had a few people who didn't show but it looked like they had about 50 there pretty easily. Got my badge and it looks to be warming up this weekend. Hope to see some of you there.

I'm excited to finally see how the EXPS does at 200 yards.:)

For you guys with disabilities, I'd suggest getting there a bit early to talk about your situation as they collect fees before you sign up for your RSO days.
cgrant26

Postby hard h2o on Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:01 am

Got my invite as well. My two choices for classes were filled up and I am traveling the other date. Luckily they added a fourth date. Just waiting on confirmation on a seat in the additional class.
hard h2o

Postby hard h2o on Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Class on March 30th.

Anyone else going to be there?
hard h2o

Postby Seismic Sam on Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:23 pm

Rodentman wrote:I'm sort of in the same boat with the disability factor. I'm sure they'll work with us. Guess if I have a place to sit I'd be OK.

They let you in?? There goes the EFFEN neighborhood!! I'm going to have to tell the GM to go to Menard's and get the big box of sour green apple sweetarts!!

To more seriously address your and BigDog's needs for putting in hours, you can be a gate monitor on our open trap nights. Seeing as we have open trap shooting and beginner's shooting, the gate is open, and that tends to attract miscellaneous yahoos who assume that the range is open and free for use by anybody, so they drive in amongst the trap shooters. Therefore, we have a job as gate monitor where you sit in a chair for a few hours a night about 100' inside the gate and screen out the non-trap shooters from the people who are actually supposed to be there.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Rodentman on Sat Feb 15, 2014 8:26 pm

So I can sit in a chair and keep my trap shut. I can sit, but the other part....

I will try to make the nayborhood proud of me.
Rodentman

Postby hard h2o on Sun Mar 30, 2014 9:57 pm

Completed the class. I am set on range officer days.

I will be working July 12th and October 4th.

Hope to get out there soon to shoot.
hard h2o

Postby Snofish on Mon Mar 31, 2014 5:26 am

hard h2o wrote:Completed the class. I am set on range officer days.

I will be working July 12th and October 4th.

Hope to get out there soon to shoot.

I am also working July 12th and will be able to put a face to the name. (if not sooner)
Snofish

Postby hard h2o on Mon Mar 31, 2014 9:24 am

Snofish wrote:
I am also working July 12th and will be able to put a face to the name. (if not sooner)

It will be nice to meet some like minded individuals. Look for Tom Carlson on the 12th. I will be the one with the big cup of coffee.

After my class and during the tour, at the 100 yard range, I met the dad of one of the kids in our Cub Scout den.

After the tour I grabbed some hearing protection from the truck and went over there. We are already planning on a trip out to the range with some of the scouts.

Everyone involved in the class, sign-ups, tour... were real friendly and welcoming.

The only old crank I met was a gentleman in line not happy with the lack of direction as to which line to be in first and the process we needed to follow. Which one of you guys was that?
hard h2o

Postby Mn01r6 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 10:29 am

hard h2o wrote:I will be the one with the big cup of coffee.

You will stick out like an obese person at the State Fair.
Mn01r6

Postby hard h2o on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:38 am

Mn01r6 wrote:

I sensed a theme when I was there. During public hours everyone is busy shooting. Not much coffee drinking. I have never been there during members-only hours. I expected to be given a coffee mug along with the membership badge. I thought it might be some sort of uniform that was required.
hard h2o

Postby Mn01r6 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:45 am

hard h2o wrote:
Mn01r6 wrote:

I sensed a theme when I was there. During public hours everyone is busy shooting. Not much coffee drinking. I have never been there during members-only hours. I expected to be given a coffee mug along with the membership badge. I thought it might be some sort of uniform that was required.

When you are working range duty, I think the bylaws require each member to drink 2 pots of coffee or equivalent caffeinated beverage.

I try not to drink caffeine on days I plan to shoot - it doesn't help with the accuracy.
Mn01r6

Postby hard h2o on Mon Mar 31, 2014 12:00 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:
When you are working range duty, I think the bylaws require each member to drink 2 pots of coffee or equivalent caffeinated beverage.

I try not to drink caffeine on days I plan to shoot - it doesn't help with the accuracy.

I try not to drink to much when I will not be near a restroom or when I am expected to be at a post for an extended period of time.

If I don't at least have a bit of caffeine I will have other problems such as headaches and other withdrawal symptoms so it is best for me to have at least one cup of coffee no matter what.

Too much though and I also get a bit jittery.

I will see how it is doing range duty but my biggest issue during public shooting is the guys who are not ready with a target in hand when the range is cold or otherwise are not in sync with how the range is being run. If it is hot when you step onto the range then set up and do what you can during a time that you can handle your firearm. If it is cold get your target in hand and go hang it. If you are going to check targets might as well have one in hand or a paster instead of getting down range and then realizing you want to hang a fresh one. Better to bring it down there and not need it.

Much easier on a military range when everyone should generally be at the same skill level, shooting the same weapon, shooting the same course of fire...
hard h2o

Postby Series 70 on Mon Mar 31, 2014 4:39 pm

I took my son out yesterday, not realizing it was an orientation day. Full parking lot! I did find a place at the short-range pistol bay, which is where we wanted to shoot anyway. Muddy in the parking lot, as expected, but a fine day to be outdoors.
Eric Pederson
NRA and MADFI Certified Instructor
Pederson Training LLC
Series 70

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs