MGFC/MN3GG 2-Gun Match Announcement - Saturday 11/16/2013

Local shooting clubs and leagues

MGFC/MN3GG 2-Gun Match Announcement - Saturday 11/16/2013

Postby -=VILLY=- on Tue Oct 08, 2013 9:49 am

Thats right! The 2-GUN match at the Minnetonka Game and Fish Club is back! This will be a rifle & handgun event, and it will be the MN3GG's last match of the year. I also believe this will be the last outdoor action shooting match until next spring.

So lets have one last big blast. We will have 5 stages planned so bring plenty of ammo, about 120 rounds per gun minimum. Match fee is $20.

Times will be the usual. Set-up at 7:30AM and registrations open at 8:30AM. If everything is set up, Shooters Meeting will be at 9:30AM and blasting begins at 10:00AM. Help with set-up is always needed and appreciated. The more, the merrier, and the easier it is for us to keep on bringing you these matches.

See you there.

Jomar
"MIND OVER MATTER - If you don't MIND, then it don't MATTER."
-=VILLY=-

Re: MGFC/MN3GG 2-Gun Match Announcement - Saturday 11/16/2013

Postby -=VILLY=- on Mon Oct 21, 2013 12:59 pm

This will be a good event for all our LEO's who work with a patrol rifle. It would serve as a good training shoot.

It would also be a good event for some of our "preppers" to bring out their other "defensive" rifles and handguns.
-=VILLY=-

Postby CarRacer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:14 pm

Someone want to bum me some rifle pouches for this? Any other gear I'd need to borrow, I have all of my pistol stuff for shooting USPSA. I can buy you a beer or something for the hassle.

I've never shot 3 gun and this sounds like a good way to see if I'd like it, albeit it probably being super cold.
CarRacer

Postby -=VILLY=- on Tue Oct 22, 2013 5:49 pm

CarRacer wrote:Someone want to bum me some rifle pouches for this? Any other gear I'd need to borrow, I have all of my pistol stuff for shooting USPSA. I can buy you a beer or something for the hassle.

I've never shot 3 gun and this sounds like a good way to see if I'd like it, albeit it probably being super cold.

Hook up with me when you get there. I will borrow you mine. 223 mag pouches correct? I have 2 equipped with tek-lok.

I'll be hard to miss as you'll have to go through me to register.
-=VILLY=-

Postby CarRacer on Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:56 pm

Yeah .223 magazines, thanks Jomar. I'm a lefty but that shouldn't matter with those, should it? Do you wear gloves when you shoot?
CarRacer

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:45 pm

CarRacer wrote:Yeah .223 magazines, thanks Jomar. I'm a lefty but that shouldn't matter with those, should it? Do you wear gloves when you shoot?

I have a double thigh pouch that holds 4 pmags you can use too. I can bring it to BPR Thursday and you can look at it and/or borrow it and train with it if you want to. It isn't what you *want* to use if you are going to be competitive, but if it's your first time (and my 2nd time) it won't be the cause of 99% of the time we lose out there.
Mn01r6

Postby -=VILLY=- on Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:46 pm

CarRacer wrote:Yeah .223 magazines, thanks Jomar. I'm a lefty but that shouldn't matter with those, should it? Do you wear gloves when you shoot?

It shouldn't matter which side unless you're concerned about appearance and some one telling you that your mag pouch is backwards.

As for shooting with gloves, I personally don't like them when I shoot competitions. But for this match I will be as I plan on using my duty gear and I use gloves quite a bit. Might as well take the opportunity to train with what I use.

I'm sending you a PM with my contact info. I highly encourage you to give me a call the night before the match to remind me to pack the pouches.
-=VILLY=-

Postby -=VILLY=- on Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:08 pm

Mn01r6 wrote:

I have a double thigh pouch that holds 4 pmags you can use too. I can bring it to BPR Thursday and you can look at it and/or borrow it and train with it if you want to. It isn't what you *want* to use if you are going to be competitive, but if it's your first time (and my 2nd time) it won't be the cause of 99% of the time we lose out there.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with using a thigh pouch. If you practice with it and become proficient with its use, it'll be as good as some of those "high-speed" (and usually more expensive) gear. Remember that there is nothing to be won in our matches (besides bragging rights but mostly between a few good friends). Our matches serves as a good training event to test yourself and your gear. Your real competition is yourself.

The first 3-gun match that Jay and I attended was the good old DPMS Tri-Gun Challenge. Talk about baptism by fire. We showed up with duty belts and duty holsters, bandoliers for the shotshells with the extras in one cargo pants pocket, rifle mags in the other cargo pants pocket or back pocket. But we made it work.

Bring what you got and go with it.
-=VILLY=-

Postby CarRacer on Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:45 am

My main goal is to not have to do a mag dump on a target to finish a stage and be safe when I transition between rifle and pistol. Aside from that, I'll be making things go bang so it will be a fun time.
CarRacer

Postby CarRacer on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:22 am

What are the general target ranges for the rifle targets? I haven't shot an AR in over a year, I'm going to need to practice.
CarRacer

Postby -=VILLY=- on Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:59 am

CarRacer wrote:What are the general target ranges for the rifle targets? I haven't shot an AR in over a year, I'm going to need to practice.

We're using the same competition (General Purpose) bays at MGFC as the USPSA matches. The long bay (Bay D), you might be looking at shooting a rifle target at about 75 yards. We'll also be using the Silhoutte Bay with targets ranging from 25 yards and out to 200 yards.
-=VILLY=-

Postby BrianG34 on Wed Oct 23, 2013 9:23 pm

Hopefully I can make it! I have only shot one three gun competition before and looking forward to this!
BrianG34

Postby MNGunGuy on Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:23 am

Hey Jomar, why did the shotty become the red headed step child? That's the only gun I shoot worth a damn! :D
MNGunGuy

Postby -=VILLY=- on Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:19 am

MNGunGuy wrote:That's the only gun I shoot worth a damn! :D

Exactly that reason why! :lol:

MGFC started a two-gun match a couple years back and it brought out a few more people who were intimidated with the shotgun loading process under the pressure of the timer. Some of these people had a lot of fun shooting just the two guns and eventually became 3-gunners. So we're doing it again and hopefully gain some more 3-gunners.

Besides, winter is bearing down on us. Loading a shotgun with cold hands is a ______.
-=VILLY=-

Postby jonahk on Thu Oct 24, 2013 3:34 pm

And today I learned I don't have to miss this match because of work. Looking forward to it!

Thoughts on whether or not I'll need more than 1 AR mag pouch for this match?
A75146
jonahk

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs