3-gun training idea

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: 3-gun training idea

Postby Payne on Tue Jan 21, 2014 6:45 am

LumberZach,

Sorry for the long response time, I was away from the computer. Nathan is correct, we are looking at around 4 hr. time span for the class. This will depend a lot on the number of students etc..

I will have 3 different shotguns set up for 3-gun with Nordic Components tubes, a Benelli M2, a Benelli Vinci, and a Benelli Nova pump. I will also have shell caddies and Taccom Qualoads on techlocks for people to use.
Payne

Postby tazdevil on Wed Jan 22, 2014 9:39 am

BigDog58 wrote:Is it possible for new people thinking of getting into 3Gun to join in? I'm not up to full mobility (must use cane to walk) and don't want to slow anyone down nor cause a burden to others. I have no illusions that I will ever be competitive with anyone but myself. I only wish there was 3 Gun 30 yrs ago when I was mobile and much more spry.

Please give an honest opinion as to whether this event would be something I could do. If any of you believe I would intefere with the flow or slow everyone else down, please don't hold back. You will NOT hurt my feelings, I am interested in the sport and it's going to be up to 18 months before I'm completely able to walk without the aid of a cane. If you think I should wait, I fully understand and will sit out until I'm more mobile and more fully recovered. If you believe I should wait, do any of you think it would be beneficial for me to just come and observe, which will help this Noob get an idea of what exactly I'll need equipment wise and physical ability wise.

Thank you for any HONEST answers,

BD

You still could challenge some abilities to shoot 3 gun, especially if you.........wait, not going there, he's been tortured more than enough about that.
Really though, the only event we do that involves prizes or winning something is the tac shotgun match in late June this year. All our 3gun matches are the "outlaw" variety, for fun and skill, not prizes. You have former and current LE and Military there, beat them in any stage and that's serious bragging rights.
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby LumberZach on Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:54 pm

Payne wrote:LumberZach,

Sorry for the long response time, I was away from the computer. Nathan is correct, we are looking at around 4 hr. time span for the class. This will depend a lot on the number of students etc..

I will have 3 different shotguns set up for 3-gun with Nordic Components tubes, a Benelli M2, a Benelli Vinci, and a Benelli Nova pump. I will also have shell caddies and Taccom Qualoads on techlocks for people to use.

This sounds fantastic! I am really pulling for it, but this weekend it looks like I am going to have to sit out. I definitely hope to at least do one of these classes with you guys, if not I should be able to start making it to actual shoots this summer.
LumberZach

Postby -=VILLY=- on Sat Jan 25, 2014 10:32 pm

Something came up with the family, so I won't be able to make it tomorrow.

Have fun all. See you in March 15th at SCAPSA for the 1st 3-gun match of the year.
"MIND OVER MATTER - If you don't MIND, then it don't MATTER."
-=VILLY=-

Dummy shotshells

Postby solidgun on Sun Jan 26, 2014 8:51 am

I know it is hard to find dummy shells around for practice in shotgun reloading so I figured I would offer this for a limited run.

Following conditions apply:

1. You provide a box of shotshells (QTY: 25) or price equal to that amount by paypal gift (I will provide the final price) (2 3/4" only, steel or lead, but you will be getting lead shots)
2. You get 12 dummy rounds in return (I will always try to keep the rounds the same brand, but cannot guarantee as I need empty hulls with spent primer)
3. You must drop off and pick up at Arnzen Arms or at certain matches I would attend (IDPA, USPSA, 3-gun); please label the box with your name and email address

Note that these shotshells will wear out with practice just like live shells. It will contain lead shots, but no gunpowder. I am pretty busy so I may not be able to do large quantities, but I know people want these for practicing.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Xscream on Sun Jan 26, 2014 6:14 pm

Thanks to both of the Payne's and Jay for helping put on a great class!
Xscream

Postby Sietch on Sun Jan 26, 2014 7:52 pm

I had a blast today. Never touched anything 3-gun before. What an awesome fun time. Met the Payne crew. Jay was super cool and helpful too. I think I'm hooked. Thanks, guys. This was a really good idea.
Tony Martin. It could happen to us.
Sietch

Postby CarRacer on Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:41 pm

Had a good time learning how to set my course going forward for my own training regimen. Thanks again for the hard work involved in setting this up, it was very apparent Brian put a lot of time into the structure of the class and the content presented.

My left thumb did get chewed up a bit, but surprisingly it wasn't from loading it was from unloading shells. I'll learn how to trip the shell catch consistently soon enough.
CarRacer

Postby Payne on Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 am

Thanks to everyone for showing up. Who would have thought over 20 shooters would show up for a dryfire class on a day like that. It was very nice to meet everyone, you once again bring out the point that its the people of 3-gun that make this sport so special.

Thanks to Arnzen Arms for being such a gracious host, also thanks to Nathan and Jay, I don't think I could have kept up with everyone without their help. Remember to hit up http://www.mn3gungroup.org for more tips on 3-gun. Remember Arnzen Arms for all of your 3-gun weapons and gear needs, what a great place.

Thanks again for making this such a fun class.
Payne

Postby PRS on Wed Jan 29, 2014 2:58 am

Sad i missed this.... Didn't know my gig was going to be in damn near Canada.... All I've heard is good things! The payne train kicked ass once again.
PRS

Postby Payne on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:23 am

PRS,

I was hoping to get a chance to chat with you a bit at the class. The class turned out far better than I thought it would. I was hoping for five or six people to show, and then the weather turned bad and I was thinking no one would make it. I didn't take into consideration the hearty spirit of the MN shooters. You guys from Arnzen Arms picked up a lot of new clients from this class I think. Awesome store.

If you guys get a chance to check out the Facebook page of Concealed Defense LLC you will see a bunch of pictures (and possibly some videos in the near future) of the class and some of the students.
Payne

Postby Payne on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:47 am

http://youtu.be/7eEQ9hrfAkU

Nathan, during the class, doing a medium speed demo reload of 12 shells using the Taccom Quaload
Payne

Postby Payne on Thu Jan 30, 2014 7:49 am

http://youtu.be/AYw9a0IcjGU

About half of the class shown doing some basic dry fire draw drills. Just an informational note, no live ammo was used during this class. All Snap caps and dummy rounds were triple checked prior to the start of class. The shotgun shells shown were handloaded dummy rounds.
Payne

Postby tazdevil on Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:32 am

Payne, will you be doing more of these type of classes?
1911 Fan quote in memoirium about carrying:
The purpose of a firearm in a defensive situation is to make the other guy leak from holes he was not born with. Your job is to install those orifices for him.
tazdevil

Location: over your shoulder, whispering sweet nothings in your ear.

Postby Payne on Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:16 am

T-Devil

I have had several people call and ask for a second class and I am very open to that. I will be checking into the schedule to see if something can be worked out. The warmer it gets the more an actual shooting class looks like a better idea. I will stay in touch.
Payne

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs