3-gun training idea

Local shooting clubs and leagues

3-gun training idea

Postby Payne on Thu Dec 26, 2013 4:52 pm

OK here is an idea I have been tossing around in my head and it actually stopped in one place long enough for me to get to writing it down.

In MN we tend to have a long winter with temps low enough (-20 degrees yesterday) to keep us inside the house and away from gun ranges. For years I have taken to dry fire drills to try and keep the firearms skills sharp and maybe even get better, without actually firing any ammunition. My son Nathan has been doing this as well (you may have seen some of his shotgun loading videos on Youtube) and his skills have increased rapidly.

My thought was to offer a "dry fire day". If I could find a building big enough, a group of us could get together and go over some basic dry fire drills that I have found to be beneficial to me. We would be using rifle, shotgun and pistol. No live ammo would be allowed inside the building and I am looking for someone to reload some dummy shotgun shells that could be used that day so we could put our shotshell caddies to good use as well. People would be encouraged to arrive with a notepad and pen, and an open mind.

I am hoping they would leave with a stronger base of fundamental skills, and some drill ideas that could be used at home for future training. Fees for the class would be dictated by the cost of building rental and maybe pizza's delivered for a lunch on site.

If anyone in Minnesota would be interested in this, please message me. If there is enough interest, I would start to try putting something together as to a time and place.
Payne

Postby MWAG on Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:30 pm

A) Snap Caps, they already have them.

B) Good luck finding a place that will rent out to people with guns. Even though NO live ammo will be present. Liability insurance will be spendy because as we all know "guns load and fire themselves"
I've been wrong once in my life

GOCRA member
MWAG

Re: 3-gun training idea

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:20 pm

The places I could see doing this are gun ranges themselves. Establish some basic rules like remember rule #1 - always treat your gun as if it is loaded...point your gun down range, case and uncase at the line...maybe they would let you into the bay with no eyes and ears if it was a place like Bill's Hudson or Bills North where they have completely separate bays they could let you use during a slow time.
Mn01r6

Postby solidgun on Thu Dec 26, 2013 9:45 pm

I have been to private businesses and warehouses where the owner was fine with renting out their business space for this type of training. It was advanced skills course and we agreed to remove the firing pins on the site in front of each other before beginning. Difficult to get the message through, but this was carried in courses where we understood that tools can be used in safe manner when cautiously used by intelligent individuals.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby CarRacer on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:44 am

I like this idea, I dry fire at home or sometimes at work on the weekends but being able to practice with others pushing you would be very beneficial. I'm very interested in seeing what drills people run with their rifle as well, I'm new to 3 gun and I don't really know what to practice at home.
CarRacer

Postby -=VILLY=- on Fri Dec 27, 2013 9:55 am

I'm in.
"MIND OVER MATTER - If you don't MIND, then it don't MATTER."
-=VILLY=-

Postby bradgsxr on Fri Dec 27, 2013 4:38 pm

Great idea! I'm in
bradgsxr

Postby NPayne on Sat Dec 28, 2013 1:16 am

Great idea! Let me know when and where.
NPayne

3-gun training idea

Postby jonahk on Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:07 pm

I'm in.

How much space do you think you'd need for this? I can ask around.
A75146
jonahk

Postby northernbird on Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:50 pm

I think this is a great idea, at least for those of us needing some affirmation that we are doing things correctly. For those of you that have been doing this for a while i know i would appreciate the hands on walk through of some of the drills you do.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
northernbird

Postby Payne on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:15 am

I have had a great response thus far. Thanks for the messages. I will keep everyone informed as to the date, time, and location of this training. I am still looking for someone to load up some dummy rounds for the shotgun, factory made dummy rounds have gotten almost impossible to find and are extremely expensive.
Last edited by Payne on Mon Dec 30, 2013 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Payne

Postby Keith on Mon Dec 30, 2013 6:17 am

Isn't that newer building, by the bench rests, at MTKA Game & Fish heated?
Yeah, but I shoot with THIS hand.
Keith

Postby Payne on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:05 pm

Just another quick update. This training will take place at Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie. They are graciously allowing the use of their facility. The training will be sponsored by Concealed Defense LLC and I will be heading up the training. A date will be set as soon as we get an open Sunday after SHOT Show. I am still hunting for Dummy Shotgun Rounds other than that we should have things set shortly.

I will PM everyone that has expressed interest.
Payne

Postby westberg on Thu Jan 02, 2014 1:28 pm

I'm interested.
westberg

Postby jonahk on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:14 pm

Payne wrote:Just another quick update. This training will take place at Arnzen Arms in Eden Prairie. They are graciously allowing the use of their facility. The training will be sponsored by Concealed Defense LLC and I will be heading up the training. A date will be set as soon as we get an open Sunday after SHOT Show. I am still hunting for Dummy Shotgun Rounds other than that we should have things set shortly.

I will PM everyone that has expressed interest.

Awesome! If Gunnar and Andre are thinking ahead - they'll stock up on Pinwheels, 4x4's, and Taccom's.... Hint...hint....
A75146
jonahk

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs