NRA National Defense Match

Local shooting clubs and leagues

NRA National Defense Match

Postby Lights on Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:29 pm

Do any of you know of any clubs that put on a National defense course match? I would think that there would be a great turnout if a shooting club put on one of these matchs. I really am not into the 3 gun thing so that does not interest me. But this National Defense match sure does.

Here is a info video on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbYks8T5c1I#t=63
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Re: NRA National Defense Match

Postby PRS on Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:15 am

so.... you want to use all the skills that are texted in three gun but just make it easier on the shooter? not sure why someone would shoot a match like this when you can shoot a three gun that will give you movement, distance, and target transitions.
PRS

Postby Lights on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:01 am

Because there is a ton of people out there that are just into AR's and not handguns or shotguns. Plus these same people do not want to shoot in High power matchs because they really do not like the jacket/gear they would need. Is it possible to shoot at the 3 gun matches and just scratch out of the shot gun portion?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby solidgun on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:04 am

Why don't they just call this a tactical rifle match? Fancy name made me watch the video.

There are 2 gun matches (rifle/handgun). There were at least 2 last year.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby TTS on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:09 am

Lights wrote:Do any of you know of any clubs that put on a National defense course match? I would think that there would be a great turnout if a shooting club put on one of these matchs. I really am not into the 3 gun thing so that does not interest me. But this National Defense match sure does.

Here is a info video on it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbYks8T5c1I#t=63

Looks like fun! Seems like a great alternative to other types of matches.
Owner
Tactical Training Solutions
Specializing in Self Defense and Firearms Training
http://www.minnesotaccw.com
TTS

Postby Lights on Thu Jan 02, 2014 11:54 am

solidgun wrote:Why don't they just call this a tactical rifle match? Fancy name made me watch the video.

There are 2 gun matches (rifle/handgun). There were at least 2 last year.

I agree, tactical rifle would have been a better name for this style of a match.

I will have to keep my eye open for them 2 gun matchs. Do you happen to know who hosted them?
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby Erud on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:21 pm

Lights wrote:Because there is a ton of people out there that are just into AR's and not handguns or shotguns. Plus these same people do not want to shoot in High power matchs because they really do not like the jacket/gear they would need. Is it possible to shoot at the 3 gun matches and just scratch out of the shot gun portion?

Hey, just an FYI, you don't actually need a jacket and the other gear to shoot Highpower. Contact the match director before hand and let them know your situation and they will be ready for you. Just make sure your ammo is capable of making it to 600 yards. New shooters usually start without the coat etc, and some people never use it. You aren't going to be winning HP matches without it, but most people aren't going to win anyways, and if they are it will be years down the road from when they start out. There is plenty of skill to develop and lots of fun to be had with a minimum of gear if you want to.
Erud

Postby shooter115 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:38 pm

Actually from the video. It looked kinda lame to me.

No movement, no decision making and no challenge. Plus it's only one gun = Lame

I would go to one if it were close, just cuz I love to shoot. But I'd way rather go to a 3-gun match.
shooter115

Postby solidgun on Thu Jan 02, 2014 12:52 pm

Minnetonka Game & Fish hosts these 2 gun matches. Usually a match toward the end of the year.
A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion. —PROVERBS 18:2
solidgun

Postby Lights on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:06 pm

Thanks for the info solidgun. I will keep an eye out for them this next year.
NRA Life Member
NRA Certified RSO
Lights

Postby Mn01r6 on Thu Jan 02, 2014 2:10 pm

Mn 3gun Group has the 2014 schedule posted on their website including the 2gun match. There should be some video of last year's out there too. We shot rifles from point blank out to 200 meters and generally got rained on and froze, but it was still fun. You can always borrow a shotgun and compete in the 3gun matches.

I wouldn't mind the tactical rifle NRA thing in addition to the 3gun and 2gun events - it's not like every weekend is full of 3gun events around here, and the tactical rifle event looks like it could be hosted by a local range that doesn't have 180-degree shooting capability (like Oakdale).
Mn01r6

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs