Shotguns for 3 gun

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Shotguns for 3 gun

Postby LumberZach on Tue Feb 04, 2014 2:47 pm

I would like to start 3 gun soon, and I have been curious what most people in the state use for shotguns. I really only have hunting shotguns, so I figure I will need to get something new if I start any 3 gun stuff. Do many people run pumps? Or are you at a pretty big disadvantage for running anything but semi auto?
LumberZach

Re: Shotguns for 3 gun

Postby CarRacer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:18 pm

The most important thing about a 3 Gun shotgun is the tube capacity. Being able to start with 8+1 in the gun will make everything easier and the match more enjoyable.

I'm going to run a semi auto (Stoeger M3000) but I was considering a pump (Benelli Nova) as well. A very popular semi auto is the Benelli M2 but it can be hard to justify the money just to try out the sport. I went with the Stoeger and got it outfitted for under $650.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.
CarRacer

Postby deadarrow on Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:10 pm

Just use what you got to start and see what other guys are using... you will figure out what you want to do as you gain experience.
There are many components 3 gun... so come and play and meet us... we are always full of advise... or full of something, I forget.
The other guy is right about getting a mag tube that can hold at least 8 plus 1 in the pipe....
There, hows that? I removed my inane remarks.
Last edited by deadarrow on Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
deadarrow

Postby Mn01r6 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:19 pm

deadarrow wrote:Tac optic division is auto loader shotguns and rifle with optic....
Tac irons division is pump shotguns and rifle with iron sights....
So pumps will not compete against autos...
If you have an optic on your rifle you will be in tac optic div. regardless of your shotgun choice....
Most shoot in tac optics. Some guys can run a pump as fast as an auto tho...
Just use what you got to start and see what other guys are using... you will figure out what you want to do as you gain experience.
There are many components 3 gun... so come and play and meet us... we are always full of advise... or full of something, I forget.
The other guy is right about getting a mag tube that can hold at least 8 plus 1 in the pipe.....

What (local) matches do you shoot that require a pump in any division other than heavy metal? You are using nomenclature that is different from the MN3GG classes as well. I suspect you may be talking about some very weird regional or national matches as opposed to the local rules we have? http://mn3gungroup.org/wordpress/wp-con ... Rules1.pdf

Anyway, to the OP, I say run a pump and make sure you like the game before you drop serious cash on a gamer shotgun. Personally, I am buying a Beretta 1301 Competition after running my BPS pump in one match last year. The only other match I was able to attend was a 2-gun at the end of the year, so thankfully I didn't have to suffer through trying to load with a port as small as the BPS for a second match.
Mn01r6

Postby shooter115 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:45 pm

You can run a pump or auto in any class except heavy metal.

What do you have for a shotgun now?

Best thing you can do is shoot a match or two before spending any money. Even if that means your shooting a bone stock 870 Express.

Go to a match and don't be shy. We're all gun guys and happy to answer any questions and most will let you try our gear to see if you like it.

If you're convinced you already love 3gun before your first match the Benelli M2 is pretty much the gold standard. If you don't want to drop that kind of cabbage the Stoeger 3000 is supposed to be a great budget shotgun.
shooter115

Shotguns for 3 gun

Postby LumberZach on Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:00 pm

The shotgun I could use now is a fairly stock 870 slug gun, but it does have an 8 round tube. I wouldn't be concerned about the gun to shoot bird shot through the rifled barrel, but I don't know how bad that would affect any scoring. I have been thinking about getting a mossberg 590a1 for hd and this sort of thing. I would love to come to a match. A match of any kind really, but my schedule has been so busy lately I get behind on this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby CarRacer on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:03 pm

Here's the match schedule for local 3 Gun. http://www.mn3gungroup.org/?page_id=7 April 26 is a great one to pencil in, it's a intro/skill builder class. I wouldn't worry about showing up to a regular match though, 3 Gun people seem to be the most exited about new shooters than any other competition group I've seen to date.
CarRacer

Postby shooter115 on Tue Feb 04, 2014 10:26 pm

I would avoid the 590A1 as a 3gun contender as the magazine is fixed at I believe 7 rounds. You would be much better off buying a standard 24-26" vent rib barrel for your 870 and setting it up with an 8 round or more tube. I prefer a 10 rd tube and many now are going as far as 12 rounds. Having interchangeable chokes is huge in 3gun. Go do some lurking on the Brian Enos forums to see what most the players are running.
shooter115

Postby NPayne on Wed Feb 05, 2014 10:09 am

LumberZach,

The best advice I could give would be to PM Brian Payne. He is an extremely knowledgeable 3-gunner and has a wealth of experience when it comes to getting outfitted for competition (as well as just about all things 3-gun). He can answer any questions you have and would probably even let you borrow one of his shotguns for a match (shell caddies too). This is a great way to experience the sport before spending the money on a shotgun. I look forward to shooting with you.

Nathan
NPayne

Postby shooter115 on Wed Feb 05, 2014 11:13 am

Did you just pimp out your old man.....LOL

All kidding aside. It's solid advice.
shooter115

Postby J.Schmitt on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:10 pm

Does anyone read the stuff I put out.

I recently put an article on the mn3gungroup.org page due to the exact question being asked.

http://www.mn3gungroup.org/?page_id=730 hope this helps.

Jay
J.Schmitt

Shotguns for 3 gun

Postby LumberZach on Wed Feb 05, 2014 8:42 pm

J.Schmitt wrote:Does anyone read the stuff I put out.

I recently put an article on the mn3gungroup.org page due to the exact question being asked.

Jay

I actually just read this today. I feel more confident in trying to start with a trusty pump action. Plan on seeing you guys in April!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby PRS on Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:46 am

Come into Arnzen Arms, we've got the M2, Versamax, Moss JM930, Beretta, SLP, along with some pump guns on the wall you can take down an fondle.

Ask for Andre
PRS

Postby Back In Black on Thu Feb 06, 2014 11:10 am

J.Schmitt wrote:Does anyone read the stuff I put out.

Jay

Great stuff. Never entered my mind that my old Winchester Ranger 120 would be passable. Just add an extension tube.
Keith
Back In Black

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs