First time RSO duty today at OGC

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re:

Postby bummey on Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:35 am

Ironbear wrote:I once watched a guy having a tough time getting paper, with a scoped hunting rifle, off the bags, on the 50 yard line...

Do what I do whenever I see this happening: Teach them how to bore sight. You don't have to hold their hand every step of the way, but if you take a minute to offer some advice they'll have a better time shooting and you might also have a better time watching them succeed, and maybe having a nice conversation with them afterwards. Happy, successful shooters make happy range officers.
bummey

Re: First time RSO duty today at OGC

Postby ex-LT on Tue Sep 23, 2014 12:38 pm

Not saying that's not a good idea, but as RSO, your job is to ensure that everyone on the firing line is operating in a safe manner, not to help the shooter get on target. Time taken showing the shooter how to bore sight their rifle is time that's not spent performing your primary duty.
DNR Certified Firearms Safety Instructor
NRA Certified Range Safety Officer
NRA Certified Instructor - Pistol, Rifle, and Shotgun
NRA Endowment Life Member
MN Gun Owners Caucus Life Member
Member Post 435 Gun Club
ex-LT
Inspector Gadget

Postby bummey on Tue Sep 23, 2014 1:01 pm

ex-LT wrote:Not saying that's not a good idea, but as RSO, your job is to ensure that everyone on the firing line is operating in a safe manner, not to help the shooter get on target. Time taken showing the shooter how to bore sight their rifle is time that's not spent performing your primary duty.

Obviously. Those are the rules, but in my experience the ranges are rarely busy enough for that to be an overriding concern. Maybe I've just been there at off hours, or football sunday as was the case two days ago, but with four RSOs on each range there are more than enough eyeballs to go around. Sometimes helping someone who's having trouble with their shooting is the best way to ensure their safety and the safety of the range.
bummey

Postby hard h2o on Sat Sep 27, 2014 11:53 pm

Went to OGC shooting today.

Couple of things stood out.

One guy had a bipod on a new Browning .30-06. It was tall enough with the legs extended for him to stand up and shoot while the legs were resting on the bench. The RSOs tried to talk him into shooting off the sand bags. I think there was a bit of a language barrier.

One guy and his eleven or so year old petite daughter entered the 50 yard range. He told the RSO that she was a new shooter. The RSO explained the operation of the range and showed him to a bench. I think everyone assumed he would pull a .22 or something similar out of the case. He pulled out a new 12 gauge pump slug gun. Cantilever scope mount but no scope yet. They were close to calling it safe so most everyone was behind the line and turned their attention to the new shooter. The RSO asked if they had a shooting pad for her shoulder. Dad said no. The RSO rolled up a jacket for him to use. I suggested one of the semi filled sand bags. They got her setup on the bags. She was a bit scared. I went down and offered the use of a .22 instead of the slug gun. Dad explained that they had to get her ready for her first hunting season. everyone was waiting to go down range but dad still had her on the trigger. She tried to pull the trigger but they realized they hadn't racked a round into the chamber. They got it loaded and she finally pulled the trigger. It did not go well.

I hope it is relatively smooth sailing on the 4th of October when I am working the ranges.
hard h2o

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:48 am

Geez!!! Hard h20's post makes me mad. This idiot takes his smallish 11 year old daughter out to the range, has some ridiculous expectation in his head that she can actually shoot a 12 gauge slug gun, and IN ONE SHOT probably turns her off to shooting for the rest of her life. WTF was he thinking?? That dumbazz deserves to be horsewhipped!! Or made to shoot a whole box of ammo for a .577 Tyrannosaur with no brake or recoil reducers on it, and see how much of a "man" he can be... :evil: :twisted:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby photogpat on Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:49 pm

Seismic Sam wrote: Or made to shoot a whole box of ammo for a .577 Tyrannosaur with no brake or recoil reducers on it, and see how much of a "man" he can be... :evil: :twisted:

I have the dies for that...

IMG_0971_small.jpg
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby 20mm on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:08 pm

photogpat wrote:I have the dies for that...

Do you have the rifle too, or do you just like to collect expensive dies?
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby photogpat on Tue Sep 30, 2014 1:23 pm

20mm wrote:
photogpat wrote:I have the dies for that...

Do you have the rifle too, or do you just like to collect expensive dies?

I like to troll Sam...
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby mc762x54R on Tue Sep 30, 2014 10:02 pm

Hey! I was one of the RSO's on that range that day! The shotgun was a 20 gauge, but still...she let out a yelp when she fired it. The dad was having a hard time sighting in, but he got his last 3 shells on paper.
I fell in love with an AK pistol with the "arm brace" these 2 guys were shooting, I may have to get one of those.

Were you the guy with the AR with the 22lr conversion?

hard h2o wrote:Went to OGC shooting today.

Couple of things stood out.

One guy had a bipod on a new Browning .30-06. It was tall enough with the legs extended for him to stand up and shoot while the legs were resting on the bench. The RSOs tried to talk him into shooting off the sand bags. I think there was a bit of a language barrier.

One guy and his eleven or so year old petite daughter entered the 50 yard range. He told the RSO that she was a new shooter. The RSO explained the operation of the range and showed him to a bench. I think everyone assumed he would pull a .22 or something similar out of the case. He pulled out a new 12 gauge pump slug gun. Cantilever scope mount but no scope yet. They were close to calling it safe so most everyone was behind the line and turned their attention to the new shooter. The RSO asked if they had a shooting pad for her shoulder. Dad said no. The RSO rolled up a jacket for him to use. I suggested one of the semi filled sand bags. They got her setup on the bags. She was a bit scared. I went down and offered the use of a .22 instead of the slug gun. Dad explained that they had to get her ready for her first hunting season. everyone was waiting to go down range but dad still had her on the trigger. She tried to pull the trigger but they realized they hadn't racked a round into the chamber. They got it loaded and she finally pulled the trigger. It did not go well.

I hope it is relatively smooth sailing on the 4th of October when I am working the ranges.
mc762x54R

Postby CJB on Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:57 am

I was one of the RSOs on the 100 that day. Glad they stayed down your way. We did send several people down that way though. The ol', "It's been bore sighted... why am I not hitting the paper?"

We did have an issue on Friday though with a member who didn't quite agree with the one target rule.
CJB

Postby yuppiejr on Wed Oct 01, 2014 9:34 am

Wow, I know a number of full grown men who cringe & flinch shooting a 12 gauge slug, particularly out of a pump gun using full power loads... depending on the load the recoil can be as bad as a .300 Winchester Magnum rifle which is brutal for a new, small statured shooter. Pair it with a LOP that's likely 2-3 inches longer than it should be for an 11-year old and yikes, as Sam said, she may end up fearing recoil for the rest of her life based on her introduction at the range...

This is one of the reasons I've built an AR pistol (with the SIG Brace) in 6.8 SPC specifically for hunting shotgun zones, even with a 10.5" barrel it generates less recoil than a .410 running slugs with a flatter trajectory and more energy at-beyond 100 yards than a 12 gauge slug - not to mention it's significantly more accurate AND less expensive per round to shoot.
yuppiejr

Postby hard h2o on Wed Oct 01, 2014 11:27 pm

mc762x54R wrote:Hey! I was one of the RSO's on that range that day! The shotgun was a 20 gauge, but still...she let out a yelp when she fired it. The dad was having a hard time sighting in, but he got his last 3 shells on paper.
I fell in love with an AK pistol with the "arm brace" these 2 guys were shooting, I may have to get one of those.

Were you the guy with the AR with the 22lr conversion?

Thanks for the clarification. Did he even have a scope on that shotgun?

I had my Weatherby .30-06 and Savage Model 11 .300 WSM. Finished with those, put them in the truck, and brought out the Marlin semi-auto .22 and Remington Model 512 .22.

I like to use the .22 as a cool down after beating up my shoulder with the .300 WSM.

They were on the far left. I was on a bench to the right of center.

She seemed just old enough to have gone through firearm safety classes. My 15 yo daughter is going to be able to go hunting the third weekend. I told her she has to fire a couple of rounds through the .30-30 before the season. For some reason she does not want to shoot her .243.
hard h2o

Postby mc762x54R on Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:13 pm

He had a little red dot on it, he got it on paper after several boxes of Hornady ammo
mc762x54R

Postby hard h2o on Sun Oct 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Worked the 25 yard range yesterday.

Only had one pistol aimed at me.

One other scary incident as well.

First one I walked out in front while the lone was safe. Coming back a shooter picked up his handgun while I was still in front of the benches. He got barked at by quite a few people. He claimed it was his first time at OGC but I do not feel that is a valid excuse.

Second one was also when the line was safe. Gentleman proceeded to pull out his carry piece and place it on the bench. He claimed he was just checking if it was unloaded. It seemed like it was. It was a bit sobering. I was behind the benches and saw him go for his holster. At that point I assumed it was loaded and I was not sure of his intentions.

Saw another girl getting ready for deer season with a slug gun. This time it was a Remington 1100. It was apparent that this was not her first time shooting but it was her first time behind that firearm. Nice to see her dad and mom coaching her. She did great.
hard h2o

Postby Holland&Holland on Mon Oct 06, 2014 9:39 am

hard h2o wrote:Worked the 25 yard range yesterday.

Only had one pistol aimed at me.

One other scary incident as well.

First one I walked out in front while the lone was safe. Coming back a shooter picked up his handgun while I was still in front of the benches. He got barked at by quite a few people. He claimed it was his first time at OGC but I do not feel that is a valid excuse.

Second one was also when the line was safe. Gentleman proceeded to pull out his carry piece and place it on the bench. He claimed he was just checking if it was unloaded. It seemed like it was. It was a bit sobering. I was behind the benches and saw him go for his holster. At that point I assumed it was loaded and I was not sure of his intentions.

Saw another girl getting ready for deer season with a slug gun. This time it was a Remington 1100. It was apparent that this was not her first time shooting but it was her first time behind that firearm. Nice to see her dad and mom coaching her. She did great.

It can get crazy out there and no one RSO can keep track of the entire line, which is why we work as a team and when busy like to keep 3 RSOs on the 25 as a minimum. Just a thought/suggestion that comes to mind. When I am working the line and the line is safe I like to have one RSO in front of the line facing the line (back to the targets) this guy is then in the best position to see those who make a move towards the bench and can redirect that behavior quickly before they reach the bench. Sometimes I see RSOs "hesitant" to call the line jumper too quick because no one wants to be seen as a jerk of an RSO, but it only takes a moment for something to go horribly wrong and the procedures are in place so that everyone goes home safe. Good job on the 25 though, You guys kept it safe and folks had fun at the same time. It was a pleasure to work with you. ;)
Holland&Holland

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs