First time RSO duty today at OGC

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Postby Ironbear on Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:32 pm

I once watched a guy having a tough time getting paper, with a scoped hunting rifle, off the bags, on the 50 yard line...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Re: First time RSO duty today at OGC

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:03 am

That reminds me of one time I was working the 100, and there was this guy with a scoped slug gun, and he was having a hell of a time. I had my own 60X spotting scope with me that day, so I watched for a while, and he got it dialed in, and shot a decent 3 shot group, and then the gun went wonky again. Took a good close look at it because I had this happen to me once, and sure enough, the scope was slipping in the rings. And you would not believe how little it takes for this to happen. It's not as obvious as you might think, and the slippage can be something that it takes a magnifying glass to see on the tube of the scope. He was so grateful he almost hugged me, and told me he had been struggling with this bitch for nearly two years.

In my case it was my heavy recoiling .338 Ultramag with full power loads (yes, it has a brake on it, but that can't kill the initial recoil...) and one of the little square keys that holds the ring stationary on the scope base had actually sheared in half because the other one was loose, so the scope was sliding back through the rear ring.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Sun Sep 07, 2014 9:11 am

Oh, one other thing. To stay on target with an official OGC target at 200 yards, you must be able to shoot plus or minus 3 minutes of angle in a vertical and horizontal plane, which is +/- 6 inches at 200 yards.

At 100 yards, that translates into +/- THREE inches, so if you can't keep all your bullets in a 6" circle on the 100, then you got no business going to the 200 to begin with.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 20mm on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:06 am

Is it okay to shoot other peoples targets that can't get on paper to confuse them?
"Go 20mm" - Sigfan220
""Real men shoot 20mm." - FJ540
"If I could be reincarnated as a fabric, I would come back as a 38 double-D bra." - Jesse Ventura
20mm

Postby Ron Burgundy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:57 am

20mm wrote:Is it okay to shoot other peoples targets that can't get on paper to confuse them?

Hahahaha that's pretty funny
Ron Burgundy

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:48 am

Sorry Ron, but it's not. Seen it happen, and it can create some pretty hard feelings. Would you want an azz-hat shooting next to you who couldn't even find his own target to shoot at??
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby 20mm on Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:40 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Sorry Ron, but it's not. Seen it happen, and it can create some pretty hard feelings. Would you want an azz-hat shooting next to you who couldn't even find his own target to shoot at??

Just as long as he doesn't shoot the chronograph. :lol:
20mm

Postby Ron Burgundy on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:15 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:Sorry Ron, but it's not. Seen it happen, and it can create some pretty hard feelings. Would you want an azz-hat shooting next to you who couldn't even find his own target to shoot at??

In this scenario, the azz-hat couldn't hit his/her target to begin with, hence 20mm's suggestion to shoot at it for them!

I imagine I'd get a little bent out of shape if this happened to me but is still a funny thought. Like grounds crew moving the hole once you've chipped onto the green.
Ron Burgundy

Postby xd ED on Mon Sep 08, 2014 3:28 pm

A new rifle/ scope combo not being on paper at 50 - 100 yards is not uncommon. At least from what I've seen being an RO. I've suggested the shooter aim at each of the four corners of the paper If there are still no holes in the paper move to a shorter range. No reason for anyone to add to the frustration just because the new guy can't shoot 300yrd cloverleafs
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:31 am

xd ED wrote:A new rifle/ scope combo not being on paper at 50 - 100 yards is not uncommon. At least from what I've seen being an RO. I've suggested the shooter aim at each of the four corners of the paper If there are still no holes in the paper move to a shorter range. No reason for anyone to add to the frustration just because the new guy can't shoot 300yrd cloverleafs

^^^This

Brought this up at my LAST board meeting, and the conventional wisdom was to not make a rule about starting on the 50, but providing gentle coaching for the paying customers to guide them to a range where they can get on paper.

For some reason people seem to think that if the bore is laser sighted with a laser cartridge of the same case dimensions, then the rifle is going to be dead nuts on at 100 yards. That's complete BS, as bullets have a mind of their own when leaving the muzzle of a gun, and NOWHERE is it written that when a bullet leaves a barrel, it will follow a straight track that is co-axial with the bore. Anybody who has ever done a load workup of a rifle cartridge will know this, and the bullet may go up, down, or sideways when you increase powder charge.

Oh, and the 6 inch circle rule is an easy to remember and pretty universal rule with targets the size of OGC targets. The numbers will vary for bigger targets.

You have to be able to keep all your bullets in a 6" circle at the 25 to stay on paper on the 50. Same for going from the 50 to the 100. Same for going from the 100 to the 200.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 09, 2014 10:54 am

Oh, and for comic relief on topic, HammAR has a hilarious story about some snooty shooter at OGC dressed to the nines with every piece of sporting clothing Cabela's sells, and thought he was king shtyte and knew everything about guns, and could not get on paper on 100 yards to save his soul. HammAR tried to help, but was rudely rebuffed by this moron in a second, so he just sat back and watched the fun. The guy was shooting a 30-06 rifle, and couldn't hit the broad side of the 100 yard backstop. After going through a FULL box of 20 shells, the guy is sitting there muttering to himself, and HammAR offers the totally unwanted opinion that he has an ammo problem. The guy snaps back that it's factory ammo and it's PERFECT!!!!, and WTF does HammAR know about it anyway...

HammAR calmly replies that it's been his observation that when one is shooting .243 ammo through a 30-06, the accuracy is not going to be very good. The Jacktard turns bright beet red, hurriedly scoops together all his gear, and stalks off with a major knot in his stylish knickers.

:rotf:
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Ironbear on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:03 am

It has been awhile, but I recall the last time I mounted a scope. I pulled the bolt and sandbagged the rifle while looking down the bore at some notable object. After getting the scope lined up with what I was seeing down the bore, I was on paper on the 50 yard range. Not rocket science or anything...
"Justice and power must be brought together, so that whatever is just may be powerful, and whatever is powerful may be just.” ~Blaise Pascal~
Ironbear

Postby photogpat on Tue Sep 09, 2014 11:59 am

Ironbear wrote:It has been awhile, but I recall the last time I mounted a scope. I pulled the bolt and sandbagged the rifle while looking down the bore at some notable object. After getting the scope lined up with what I was seeing down the bore, I was on paper on the 50 yard range. Not rocket science or anything...

This.

Show a guy/gal how to do it for the first time, and they think you're Gandalf or something!
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby hard h2o on Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:16 pm

photogpat wrote:
Ironbear wrote:It has been awhile, but I recall the last time I mounted a scope. I pulled the bolt and sandbagged the rifle while looking down the bore at some notable object. After getting the scope lined up with what I was seeing down the bore, I was on paper on the 50 yard range. Not rocket science or anything...

This.

Show a guy/gal how to do it for the first time, and they think you're Gandalf or something!

Gave that bit of advice to a gentleman earlier this year when I was doing my first stint of RSO duty. I was working the 100. He was not on paper. I suggested he head to the 50, pull the bolt, sandbag and steady the rifle and peer down the bore and align it with the target, then while the rifle is held still move the cross hairs to align with the aiming point.

He came back very happy.

The one shot zero is along the same line. Shoot one round at a distance at which you can see the bullets impact on the target. Next re-aim at the same aiming point. Then adjust the crosshairs so they align with the bullets point of impact. Shoot some more to confirm.

It is all about lining up the point of aim with the point of impact. Should be simple if all the mechanisms and fasteners between the shooter and the muzzle are tight and working properly.
hard h2o

Postby Drizzle on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:50 pm

Not looking forward to my range duty next month, but I put it off long enough and was busy most of the alternative job times, so I'm stuck. Seeing people come directly from Gander, with their new shotgun/rifle in the cardboard and foam box with a 20 round box of ammo makes me shake my head. I've had to show people how to load a 12 gauge pump, and saw one man's scope cocked 90 degrees right, so his knobs were doing the opposite of their intended adjustment. Still, the public fees keep us from paying 500.00 or something a year for member ship, i guess, so I'll be there bright and early.
Drizzle

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs