Announcement

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: Announcement

Postby bstrawse on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:28 pm

Holland&Holland wrote:Sorry to hear about this Sam. As an OGC member hearing this and seeing such correspondence from our president is concerning.

Oh you should see his emails when he's really mad :)
B
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Seismic Sam on Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:11 pm

Well, seeing as this trivial post already got 736 reads because it has to do with bad goings on at OGC like the original Black-Dew construction project two years ago, as a current member I would like to air the issue mentioned above to the membership because it concerns the welfare and possibly even the continued existence of the Oakdale Gun Club. IF the 50 yard backstop goes ahead in its current badly flawed design that is shown by Jerry's incorrect mock-up, the club will be erecting a backstop that clearly does not meet with NRA Standards, and thus also Minnesota LAW, because the law refers back to the NRA sourcebook. Now the crucial error here is that this mistake, if it is made, it will be PERMANENT, and it will only be matter of time before like an NRA official or perhaps an anti-gunner scoping out the range sees this, and then TSWHTF big time. An error like this will get the 50 shut down for sure, and if the wrong people get ahold of it, it will open the door to examination of every other range on the property for any minor error.

As such, it would be in the best interest of the membership to question this whole matter in as many member meetings as it takes, before this illegal abomination gets built. Attached below is a picture of the flawed mock-up, just so you can see what I'm talking about. I moved the bottom yellow tape down to the proper level just below the berm, and I have no idea if it's been moved back up again or not.

FWIW, I mocked up the proper backstop setup 15 MONTHS AGO to the whole Board, INCLUDING JERRY, and that was sent out May 11,2013. I also presented this in at least one board meting, and no one said anything, and Jerry was there. Attached below is the 15 month old photoshop work of how this backstop should be set.

Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby OldmanFCSA on Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:09 pm

Thanks for going Public with this information and providing info to the antigunners that may be used to shut us down. :hammer:
This public bashing of OGC does us no good, and should be reserved to Board meetings. Just because they would not initially listen to your proposal, means a modified approach to your proposal should have been pursued within the OGC, not in a public bashing.
:deadhorse:

IMHOO.
OldmanFCSA

Postby andrewP on Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:18 pm

bstrawse wrote:
Holland&Holland wrote:Sorry to hear about this Sam. As an OGC member hearing this and seeing such correspondence from our president is concerning.

Oh you should see his emails when he's really mad :)
B

How is it that someone who employs that level of vitriol and grammarchaos (yes, that's a technical term :p) in what is arguably official correspondence ever got elected president of anything? I realize it's not technically a popularity contest, but if someone spoke to me in that way, it'd be VERY difficult for them to get my vote.
andrewP

Postby ttousi on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:28 pm

How is it that someone who employs that level of vitriol and grammarchaos (yes, that's a technical term :p) in what is arguably official correspondence ever got elected president of anything? I realize it's not technically a popularity contest, but if someone spoke to me in that way, it'd be VERY difficult for them to get my vote.

you have much to learn in the ways of OGC grasshopper :P
MN Permit Instructor
http://www.tomtgun.com
NRA Training Counselor/Instructor (Pistol, Rifle, Shotgun, Personal Protection)
DNR FAS Instructor

"I am not going to be intimidated by some punk with a moderator button."-darkwolf45
ttousi

Postby rottenit on Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:45 pm

Going a bit off topic here but im interested in the berm construction, why didn't the "other" person's design work? There seems to be an NRA document referenced?
m going to make some founding fathers quote up so it furthers a cause I believe in...

"Barak Obama is the beginning of the end of our country." - George Washington & Thomas Jefferson
rottenit

Postby Hmac on Mon Sep 01, 2014 8:20 pm

Man, I get enough political BS at work. Glad I don't have to deal with it in my hobbies too.
Hmac

Postby photogpat on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:44 am

Sam - educate me on the photos. Whats the flaw in the design in the top photo? Barrier not extending all the way down?
Nothing to see here. Continue swimming.
photogpat

Postby bstrawse on Tue Sep 02, 2014 8:49 am

photogpat wrote:Sam - educate me on the photos. Whats the flaw in the design in the top photo? Barrier not extending all the way down?

correct.
b
Chair, Minnesota Gun Owners Caucus & Minnesota Gun Owners Political Action Committee - Join the Caucus TODAY
MN Permit to Carry Instructor| NRA Instructor | NRA Chief Range Safety Officer | Twitter | Facebook
bstrawse

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:35 am

To echo the comment above, this is correct, and bstrawse should know as he is a NRA certified RSO, and has also completed the NRA course on Range Safety and Operations. Unfortunately, I just got my newletter, and learned to my horror that the building of the wall started TODAY and will end about the time of the next member meeting. If better minds do not prevail, God help us all.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:22 pm

I have received some more information, and apparently after I left the construction company that is going to do the wall made a presentation, and the Contractor, whose first name is Troy, said emphatically that there will be NO gap between the berm and the wall, so at least he knows what the problem is. In addition, there was some mealy-mouthed excuse (and I don't know who said this) that the mock up was just an APPROXIMATION on the actual wall. It's curious, however, that the APPROXIMATION was within an inch of Jerry's mistaken impression of what the wall's height and locations should be. The only other info I have is that Troy's father is Jerry's longtime friend, and I wouldn't make a lot of that. The bid was competitive, so we're getting good value for our money, but it would appear that Jerry cut not only me, but the whole Board out of the final negotiations and worked it out with his good buddy and his son.
As long as the wall gets built right, I don't give an EFFEN f**k. This ain't my problem any more. If anybody wants to find me, I'll probably be at the EFFEN Gopher Bar.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby bstrawse on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:16 pm

Seismic Sam wrote:I have received some more information, and apparently after I left the construction company that is going to do the wall made a presentation, and the Contractor, whose first name is Troy, said emphatically that there will be NO gap between the berm and the wall, so at least he knows what the problem is. In addition, there was some mealy-mouthed excuse (and I don't know who said this) that the mock up was just an APPROXIMATION on the actual wall. It's curious, however, that the APPROXIMATION was within an inch of Jerry's mistaken impression of what the wall's height and locations should be. The only other info I have is that Troy's father is Jerry's longtime friend, and I wouldn't make a lot of that. The bid was competitive, so we're getting good value for our money, but it would appear that Jerry cut not only me, but the whole Board out of the final negotiations and worked it out with his good buddy and his son.
As long as the wall gets built right, I don't give an EFFEN f**k. This ain't my problem any more. If anybody wants to find me, I'll probably be at the EFFEN Gopher Bar.

Coney's and beer, I'm in.
b
bstrawse

Postby Seismic Sam on Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:46 pm

OldmanFCSA wrote:Thanks for going Public with this information and providing info to the antigunners that may be used to shut us down. :hammer:
This public bashing of OGC does us no good, and should be reserved to Board meetings. Just because they would not initially listen to your proposal, means a modified approach to your proposal should have been pursued within the OGC, not in a public bashing.
:deadhorse:
IMHOO.

Well, Oldman, I didn't hear the same sentiment from you when I went public with the unintended consequences of the critically flawed Black-Dew proposal two years ago, and going public DID get that project that was deliberately designed to bankrupt the club stopped.

So now you're talking out of the other side of your mouth?? I took this up with the Board 15 MONTHS AGO, and then SEVERAL TIMES AFTER THAT, and was part of the small group that worked with Jerry to evaluate the bids when they came in, and up until the last member meeting at the beginning of this month, we were all in agreement as to design and what was going to be done. It was a week after that that the flawed mock-up was constructed, and I didn't see it for several days after that, and when I did I responded immediately within one hour. All I got back was profanity and abuse, and it was pretty obvious that taking it up at another board meeting wasn't going to accomplish anything.

So, would you have preferred that:

A: I passively sit on my ass until ANOTHER board meeting, after the 15 before it where it was discussed multiple times, and let a permanent violation be constructed, or
B: Raise the biggest stink possible to try and keep the permanent violation from happening in the first place by going public??

Please choose A or B. NOW and tell me what YOU would have done!!

Oh, and if you really want to put your money where your mouth is, I heard that there is an opening at OGC for a Long Range Planning Director. Why don't YOU take the job?? Put up and take the job if you think you can do better, or shut up.
Seismic Sam
Gone but not forgotten

Postby OldmanFCSA on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:37 pm

Actually I've been asked to be on the Board, but I'm seriously considering dropping my membership at OGC due to various reasons, mostly because I currently live too far away.

As a new member back when your previous actions were taking place, I had no voting rights.

Current issue - don't like giving antigunners free info on how to shut down shooting ranges. We don't have enough ranges now where we can shoot at distances that count. I didn't care for your approach, but will withdraw my comments if you request such. The way you presented the info here, sounded very much like two children arguing at the daycare center.

I will be working on a new 1000+ yard range here near Osceola located on private property. This will better support my needs for Long Range Planning than current OGC direction.

Good luck to all.
OldmanFCSA

Postby andrewP on Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:59 pm

ttousi wrote:

you have much to learn in the ways of OGC grasshopper :P

I guess I'm just surprised, given the overall friendly and welcoming nature of every member I've ever had the pleasure of interacting with when I shoot USPSA matches there in the summer. I would not have expected the president of an organization whose members all seem to be awesome to be so abrasive.
andrewP

PreviousNext

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs