Beaverbrook

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Beaverbrook

Postby armedwalleye on Tue Nov 04, 2014 6:42 pm

Northern metro shooter here, so far northern that I do regularly shoot pistol and small bore rifle in my yard, but at the last MWC show, talked to a couple guys from Beaverbrook about a membership there.

I see some posts in a different thread about things being shot up at different ranges, and BB is among them. I think it shows there are knuckleheads all around us.

Just wondering about opinions, and I'd invite them here or by PM, about your thoughts/observations/opinions about BB. I would also ask in your response to identify if you are a member there or not, or on the board or in an "official" capacity, more so I can have some idea if it's someone who has an axe to grind or a membership to pitch.

Really only want to find out about the range and the workings beyond my own limited exposure.

Thank you
The weaponized fish.....
armedwalleye

Beaverbrook

Postby Spinner on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:08 pm

Let me be the first to invite you to explore Forest Lake Sportsmen's Club.

Spinner
Spinner

Re: Beaverbrook

Postby xd ED on Tue Nov 04, 2014 7:24 pm

I've been a member for 4 yrs. Joined for the pistol bays, and the lack of a waiting list.
Mostly I show up with my own targets/ holders, shoot, clean up, leave.
But picking up after one's self isn't universal.
And the problem of stuff getting shot up has been discussed.
The 100 yrd rifle range is OK, definitely functional. Many solid benches, but I usually shoot prone.
Rumors/ talk of a longer range/ expansion of pistol bays.
Lots of shotgunning facilities
It's a nice, informal, low key, country range.
First year I was there they had a kickass roast pig at the annual picnic.
Not sure there was a picnic this season.
I would not discourage anyone from joining if it suits your needs.
It's usually pretty quiet when I am there during the week.
I've only once seen anyone I chose to avoid due to behavior, and everyone I've met there, or associated with the club has been decent people.

This will be my last season as a member I suspect; only because the travel time to the Harris range adds but 10 mn travel time for me.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Grandpa Rex on Thu Nov 06, 2014 11:40 am

+1 on Beaverbrook.

I have been a member for five or six years.

I focus on the rifle and pistol range.The main emphasis of this range is on shotgun leagues. This makes it so that the rifle and pistol are underused.

Yep there are always some who can't control themselves when unsupervised, but the folks I have met are always good to talk to. The problem sems to only happen when there are no witnesses.

I have only had a couple of visits when the pistol bays are full and never had all the rifle benches taken.

I bring my own target stands so I don't have anyone to blame but me or the grandson.

Most every member I have met would be happy to arrange a visit. Visitors cost $5 on the honor system.

I shoot all winter and there is a limited plowing program that allows this if you are hardy and wear your boots!
If you are going to walk on thin ice, you might as well dance.
Grandpa Rex

Postby benny on Sat Nov 15, 2014 2:00 am

They installed cameras there now and have one or two people who will soon be former members, also there is a few people who are just learning to shoot so their aim isn't as good as most.
The items being shot up are usually stuff left out there on the range, like chairs and the top wire that held the snow fence up so you could cloths pin a target to. Some one decided the cloths pins were just as fun to shoot off the wire so the wires all got hit.

There is a larger movement to bring in more action shooting sports but the city is moving real slow on letting them expand. East Bethel had a big shake up in the city board so the new people don't want to move till they figure out what is best for the city.

People have talked about an indoor range there but nothing from the board yet so that is just hear say for now.

Benny
benny

Postby karlobag on Sun Nov 16, 2014 8:37 am

+1 on Beaverbrook

Great place for pistol shooting. I have never had a problem, but I have seen the aftermath of some jerks. I police my own stuff and clean up things left by others. If everyone did that, the place would be ideal. Normally, when I am shooting, there are one or two people on the rifle range and no one else in the pistol bays.

If the city ever allows their expansion, it will be a GREAT range and club.
NRA Life Member
NRA RSO

"There are three kinds of men: The ones that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves." -- Will Rogers
karlobag

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs