Youth .22 rifle club

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Youth .22 rifle club

Postby gunshop guy on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:34 pm

I have been toying with the idea of starting a youth .22 rifle league. I figure this is a good place to get feedback as to if it is worthy of the effort to get it up and running. So here's the question: Do you guys think that there would be interest out there for a league that is non-competetive, and that parents would need to be involved in? I don't want it to be a ranked compettion as this takes the fun out of it for the kids. I want it to be a time to educate the kids and have parents spend time (1 hour a week) with their kids doing something that they enjoy.

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
http://www.christiangunowners.net/
gunshop guy

Re: Youth .22 rifle club

Postby macphisto on Tue Aug 21, 2007 4:55 pm

Well, as a twenty-five year old who shot some .22 as a kid with his dad and a little at summer camp, but only recently got seriously into guns, I think it's a great idea. I can tell you that I would have loved to be involved with something like that in my youth.
macphisto

Postby tex on Wed Aug 22, 2007 12:09 pm

If you are serious about working with shooting sports and kids -

Go to your County Extension Office and talk to the 4H Coordinator! 4H has a great shooting sports program. You will love it and the 4H program has the money and time to help get other parents to help you.

Safety first, air rifle for youngsters, air pistol, archery, shotgun, .22 rifle, and wildlife programs. It is all non-competitive at the local level, but if the kids want to - there are state and national competions they are eligible for.

Please at least look at it before you start your own program!

Tex

And BTW thanks for introducing kids to guns!
I may not agree with what you say, but I would fight to the death for your right to say it
tex

Postby gunshop guy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 4:53 pm

I work at a gun shop and I am a NRA Range Safety Officer and Certified Instructor. I thought about the 4H option but with the resources so readily available to me I figured I should try that option first. I am trying to see if there would be any interest, or get a general feel from others as to if it makes sense, before I approach the boss.
A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell. ~C.S. Lewis, The Problem of Pain
gunshop guy

Postby rucker on Wed Aug 22, 2007 5:19 pm

gunshop guy wrote:I work at a gun shop and I am a NRA Range Safety Officer and Certified Instructor. I thought about the 4H option but with the resources so readily available to me I figured I should try that option first. I am trying to see if there would be any interest, or get a general feel from others as to if it makes sense, before I approach the boss.

I think it sounds like a great idea if you have the resources and can reach shooters who wouldn't normally be taking part in other leagues. If you get this started I would be happy to help out in any way I can and would definitely recommend it to people who have children that may be interested. Good luck!
rucker

Postby gunshop guy on Wed Aug 22, 2007 6:54 pm

Thank you.
gunshop guy

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs