F-Class League - Elk River Sportsman's Club

Local shooting clubs and leagues

Re: F-Class League - Elk River Sportsman's Club

Postby cs tunes on Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:30 am

atomic41 wrote:Thanks I appreciate it. I'll probably buy a scope soon and plan to attend the orientation meeting.

You might browse around here http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f40/index5.html
and look at some used equipment. The scope you mention on there for $200 to your door. Probably plenty of other deals too if you look a few pages deep.
cs tunes

Postby atomic41 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:00 am

cs tunes, thanks for the link!

I have a question that might put a halt on this right away. I read through a lot of the NRA rules and I'm seeing that muzzle brakes are not allowed, but I'm not sure if you guys are following the NRA rules or have some modifications. I have a brake on my rifle. Is that a deal breaker or do they maybe stick rifles with brakes down on one end near each other?

I fully understand that a muzzle brake can make your neighbor uncomfortable and I don't want to be "that guy". ;) So is my rifle DQ'ed or are there other people with muzzle brakes?
atomic41

Postby nosualc on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:22 am

atomic41,

You are correct, muzzle brakes are not allowed in any Highpower competition (F-Class being a special variety of Highpower). Our league adheres to this rule. It is an unfair disadvantage to the guys who must shoot next to you.

That said, it is a fairly trivial deal to remove a muzzle brake as long as it's screwed on. It can be removed to shoot F-Class and replaced when not. You can even get thread protectors to put on the bbl with the brake removed. There are lots of guys who do this in our league without issue.

-nosualc
Beware the fury of an aroused democracy. -Ike
nosualc

Postby atomic41 on Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:26 am

Good point, mine is threaded. Thanks.
atomic41

Postby Shawski on Mon Mar 02, 2015 11:37 am

I have an Ops Inc muzzle brake that is threaded on the outside, which has a screw on thread protector. If I had a sleeve made that threaded on instead of the thread protector to cover the brake ports, would that be legal in F-class?
Shawski

Postby nosualc on Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:58 pm

Shawski wrote:I have an Ops Inc muzzle brake that is threaded on the outside, which has a screw on thread protector. If I had a sleeve made that threaded on instead of the thread protector to cover the brake ports, would that be legal in F-class?

Ah, the inevitable gray area question.

Generally, our league is run under NRA match rules. However, our league is not an NRA event. If your sleeve is safe, and it eliminates the noise concern (does not present an unfair disadvantage to those shooting next to you), I would allow it in our league.

However, sleeved or not, it is still a muzzle brake. It is highly unlikely that it would be allowed for an official NRA sanctioned (registered or authorized) match. Even if you were to find a match director to allow it, and you were to win anything, protests would likely be filed, with the resulting feces-storm.

-nosualc
nosualc

Postby fieldgeneral on Fri Mar 27, 2015 3:22 pm

Ha! I can't believe my good luck-I decided this year to get into high power service rifle competition and find a home range not 20 minutes from my doorstep. I attended a Appleseed event here in the past and had a blast learning about rifleman marksman skills plus a heritage history lesson on the battles of Lexington and Concord. This was the genesis of my interest in competitive shooting. In fact about two years later I bought a M1 Garand through the Civilian Marksman Program(CMP) with the idea of
shooting at Camp Perry, Ohio during the national matches. While shooting the Garand is a lot of fun, I found out to be truly competitive in the service rifle world the
black rifle(AR-15) is the way to go. So I made a decision last fall to go all in and put together everything needed to make a high classification(master in three years) and earn points toward a Distinguished Rifleman Badge. My vision may limit what I can accomplish but feel pretty good physically at 63 years old.
Looking forward to orientation meeting on March 30th.
fieldgeneral

Postby nosualc on Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:08 pm

fieldgeneral,

We look forward to meeting you tomorrow night!

-nosualc
nosualc

Previous

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs