From last year - Feb 21, 2015

F-Class League at Elk River Sportsman's Club
by nosualc on Sat Feb 21, 2015 8:13 am

The Elk River Sportsman’s Club would like to invite you to our
weekly F-Class League. Our league is very friendly, informal,
and open to members of our club as well as non-members. New
shooters are welcome. We start the season at 300 yards and shoot
at 600 yards thereafter.

F-Class is the fastest growing long range rifle sport in the world.
Even if you are not interested in competitive shooting, it is a
fantastic way to improve your long range marksmanship, and reloading
skills. It’s also a ton of fun!

We require that all new F-Class shooters attend the March
Orientation meeting (7PM). There, we will outline the basics of
F-Class competition, safety, equipment requirements, and go over how
our league operates. This meeting will be held at the Elk River
Sportsman’s Club clubhouse in Elk River, MN.

This year - "new F-Class orientation"

When: Mon, March 28,2016 7pm – 9pm

Where: ERSC Club House

Description: F-Class is the fastest growing long range rifle sport
in the world. Even if you are not interested in competitive shooting,
it is a fantastic way to improve your long range marksmanship, and
reloading skills. It’s also a ton of fun!

We require that all new F-Class shooters attend the March 28
Orientation meeting (7PM). There, we will outline the basics of
F-Class competition, safety, equipment requirements, and go over how
our league operates. This meeting will be held at the Elk River
Sportsman’s Club clubhouse in Elk River, MN.

Shooters who have shot in our league in the past, or those who hold
NRA mid or long range classifications need not attend orientation.

For more information contact league director Joel Danielson.
email: joel.danielson@gmail.com

http://www.ersportsman.com/

League nightly registration closes at 5:45pm. All shooting begins at 6pm
Sharp. No Exceptions. All dates subject to cancellation for bad weather.
$6 per relay for ERSC members. $12 for non-members. Prepaid season
passes will be available.

map:
https://www.google.com/maps/place/Elk+R ... ac6c?hl=en
minnesotatv

Re: F-Class & Elk River Sportsmans Club

Postby JBD on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:24 pm

Thanks for the heads-up to this forum. I will try and keep as much info as possible for our club league at ERSC.

As mentioned, MANDATORY orientation for all new shooters will start at 7 PM on March 28th. If you plan on shooting with us at 600 yards, you need to find a way to be there unless you already hold an NRA classification.

April 4th will be 100 yard sight-in starting at 5 PM. Sorry about the early start time, but we are fighting mother nature for day light at this time of year yet. Equipment you plan on using for high power shooting, F-class or sling will need to be used at this sight in before we go to the 300 yard line. Rifle caliber can not be larger than .35 and your scope must be capable of coming up 16 minutes from your 100 yard zero. No muzzle brakes or silencers.

April 18th & 25th will be 300 yard sight-in and 20 shot strings of fire starting at 5 PM.

We have a wind clinic and afternoon team match scheduled for April 30th starting at 9 AM (weather permitting on the team match) at 600 yards. Sunday May 1st will be the first NRA approved 600 yard match. Registration goes until 8:30 and the pits will close at 8:45 AM.

We will begin our normal Monday night F-class league on May 2nd. Registration is open until 5:30 PM each night and pits close at 5:45. We will start shooting at 6 PM every Monday thereafter except May 30th and July 4th.

Attached is the flyer for our wind clinic and match. Hope to see many new faces come out and enjoy a fun sport with a great group of people (can't just say guys since there are a few gals to make it interesting) :D
Attachments
2016 Spring wind clinic and match.doc
(70 KB) Downloaded 218 times
JBD

F-Class & Elk River Sportsmans Club

Postby LumberZach on Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:30 pm

Do we need any equipment for the March 28th orientation, or is it just show up and get the low down?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby JBD on Wed Mar 16, 2016 9:09 pm

Just show up...not a bad idea to bring something to take notes with.
JBD

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:17 am

My son stopped by last night just to get a feel for the sport. Nice group of guys, thanks for all the info.

He is thinking about getting involved, he is a new rifle shooter, but I shot bench a few decades ago so I can handle the reloading part just fine.

He is thinking about the Ruger in 6.5CR, considering a Sightron SIIISS 8-32X56 LRTD (just not sure what reticle). I know this is a starter setup but thought it might get him a few years.

Also I have a Varmint Ar in 223 that I had built with a Krieger barrel that is chambered for a longer OAL and runs 77gr match kings, that can certainly handle 300yds, wondering if that would be adequate while waiting for the Ruger

Thoughts?
mmcnx2

Postby xd ED on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:50 am

I went to the 1st night orientation, and the 100yd sight in. I suspect you will see a wide variety of rifles used as the Monday night league appears to be pretty informal. I gather there will be more than a few varmint rifles present.
Learning, and fun appear to be the goals.
Dance with the one you brung...
I agree it's a great bunch of folks 'up there'; very helpful, and friendly. I would have been there last night, but I was a pall bearer at my Godmother's funeral.
I expect to be there next week.
ETA: I have a Sightron SIII LRTD( Long Range Target Dot). I believe that's the best reticle for paper shooting.
One note on those scopes: the 10x - 50x has 1/8 MOA clicks.
Last edited by xd ED on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby MJY65 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:00 am

How do you guys prepare and practice for matches? When I inquired a few years ago, the 600yd range was only open for actual league competition nights.
MJY65

Postby LumberZach on Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:58 am

I would love to come out, but Monday nights are hard as a live a fair bit away and I missed the orientation. Maybe one of these days I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LumberZach

Postby speedy396 on Tue Apr 19, 2016 9:31 pm

A bit late, but this is a good friendly group to get started in mid-range shooting. They require the orientation to get shooters familiar with the range and safety rules. I started last year and had a hoot shooting the league and getting to know folks. Fclass is broken into FTR and Open. FTR is limited to only 223 or 308 calibers with a 18lb limit including scope and bipod. Open is any caliber under 30 with a 22lb limit and allows the use of a front test. Brakes are not allowed in both classes. There are several folks that shoot 223 with heavier bullets well out to 600. You do need a scope that will have enough elevation to get you out to 600yds. I'd recommend taking a look at what others are shooting and doing some research before buying a new rifle for this. I am far from being qualified to give advice, but Savage and Remington 700s tend to be popular in the starter arena because of the aftermarket support like heavy barrels, triggers, and stocks.

As to practice, I think the weekly league nights are meant to allow you to practice for the matches.
speedy396

Postby mmcnx2 on Tue May 03, 2016 7:08 pm

I went out to observe on Monday night and it was very interesting and educational.

Seems like the bulk of folks run 6br in a savage f-class rifle and re-barrel in 6.5x47, some of the newer guys are running the ruger in 6.5 creedmore. And the heavy hitters run full custom rigs in 6.5x47.

The concerns with the rugers is the trigger does not lighten up as much as folks would prefer and the rear stock is a love it/hate it thing.

So we are undecided on a gun but we'll keep going and try to learn as much as we can before we order anything.
mmcnx2

Postby xd ED on Tue May 03, 2016 8:02 pm

Monday night was idyllic.
Sunday was something else; the first official NRA match I've participated in, and the other guys were saying it was the worst conditions they'd shot in, producing some of the lowest scores they've seen. My eyes were watering on the firing line while shooting and scoring.

There were some Rugers out there. I don't see it making much sense as solely a F Class competition rifle, compared to what the other shooters use, especially in open, and likely it would be marginal in TR, compared to something like a bone stock Savage. Were it me, before buying a Ruger precision rifle and using it in part for F Class, I think I'd build a precision AR, as I'd find it more useful, and no less precise.
Last edited by xd ED on Tue May 03, 2016 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby LumberZach on Tue May 03, 2016 8:54 pm

I have a savage fcp-k in .308 that I was semi planning on using for this. Does the muzzle break on this disqualify me? Do I need to replace this before I can shoot?

LumberZach

Postby xd ED on Tue May 03, 2016 8:56 pm

LumberZach wrote:I have a savage fcp-k in .308 that I was semi planning on using for this. Does the muzzle break on this disqualify me? Do I need to replace this before I can shoot?

yes, and yes (removing the brake).

Would you want to be the guy shooting next to it?

ETA:
You'll also need to load it single shot. The magazine can be in the gun while shooting, but no ammo in the mag.
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Postby Erud on Wed May 04, 2016 5:36 am

Ok guys, your feet are officially "wet". Come on out to some matches matches now! There is a Palma course this Saturday, and 3x1000 on Sunday in Harris. Mid range (300, 500, 600, 600 and 4x600) matches the following weekend at North Star Rifle Club in red wing. 3 days of Fullbore the weekend after that back at Harris, etc, etc, etc... Don't be "ERSC only" shooters!

http://mrra.org/hipower.htm
Erud

Postby xd ED on Wed May 04, 2016 6:44 am

That match schedule is a good resource; went through it yesterday.
Lots of matches over the course of the season within a hour of the metro area.

I expect to make the Sunday match in Red Wing.

A big tip of the hat to the guys at ERSC for the introductory events. :cheers:
LET'S GO BRANDON
xd ED

Next

Return to Leagues And Shooting Clubs